MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree. It gets you into your home games for free if there is GA, or for a discount if you reserve a seat.
Also gets you into home finals cheap, finals in Melbourne cheap and a guaranteed GF ticket if your team makes it. You may even get a GF ticket when your team doesn't make it.
What value. Why didn't I get one sooner?
That's right. No GA at Subi. Limited GA in the worst seats in the house at Burswood. Lucky to have a final here every 2 years.

You would get the same value from buying an Eagles membership that I would get buying an AFL membership.... not much at all.

But they flew West which is not really as big an issue according to your study. Maybe they just played crap, maybe they hit their peak in September when it matters, very hard to stay at your peak for the whole season, they timed their run perfectly.
If they had beaten someone away - you could say that

As it stands it looks like they lucked it with a run of home finals that only a vic team would ever get.

Given the same circumstances an interstate team would play two of those games away

There are many mechanisms against fairness in our competition and I would personally love to see it shared about but get why they are not doing so.
But I think the MCG Grand Final is slightly down the list on fairness issues. A 17 season fixture is number one in my mind. Closer to equal access to playing on the MCG each year another (eg we only ever play there twice a year!), umpires not effected by crowd reactions and maybe a third team in WA, then SA to have equal proportion to population? A Tassie team a must! Among other issues.

If a 3 game grand final has been seriously discussed (age report) then I’m sure a 17 game season probably has

Especially as the 17+5 thing is no longer discussed.

But how to make up the shortfall in $$$$ for 17 games? Longer finals series? AFLX. All our stadiums deals plus broadcast deals suggest a minimum number of games

More teams? Expensive. AFLX franchises much easier to set up and fund

If they had beaten someone away - you could say that

As it stands it looks like they lucked it with a run of home finals that only a vic team would ever get.

Given the same circumstances an interstate team would play two of those games away

The doggies traveled and won in 2016

The logical decision to me is, if you are the highest on the ladder at the end of the home and away season and you make the GF, it's your call as a team, you can choose the MCG or your home ground.

As mentioned, top of the ladder has inbuilt unfairness itself

Overcome an obstacle? You currently have 20 players on your list with GF experience, more than most teams.

Reduced chance of seeing the GF? Interstate teams get the same public allocation of tickets as vic teams, AFL & MCC memberships are not exclusive and anyone can apply.

No, your team is not disadvantaged nor are you attending!!
It’s not about my team, they are just the most recent team to be forced to come up against it. They fell short, significantly, but the situation wouldn’t be any different if they had won or even if they hadn’t made it at all.

It’s about the whole league being so Melbourne-centric. The fact that Melbourne Cricket Club members get free access to the Grand Final of a supposedly national football competition says enough on its own.

As mentioned, top of the ladder has inbuilt unfairness itself
Agreed, and certainly something that deserves to be looked at. Fair to say that this is a much more complex and difficult one to solve though, even if it is no less important.

Addressing the issue of guaranteed home ground advantage in the match that decides the season is comparitvely low hanging fruit.

Agreed, and certainly something that deserves to be looked at. Fair to say that this is a much more complex and difficult one to solve though, even if it is no less important.

Addressing the issue of guaranteed home ground advantage in the match that decides the season is comparitvely low hanging fruit.

Two legged finals is, to me, the easiest answer. Not sure how that fits in the Australian footy tradition. Having said that Australian footy tradition is localised not national.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If ur crappy interstate team get a chance to play the toyota grand final ur really lucky!! 100,000 seats so more space for all the fans, loads of nice people and great food galleries pubs clubs and raves, come make a weekend of it! You even get the grand final parade,and its free how good is that!! No grand final parade down Unley road its not big enough!! MCG is the best!

It’s about the whole league being so Melbourne-centric. The fact that Melbourne Cricket Club members get free access to the Grand Final of a supposedly national football competition says enough on its own.
It's a cricket club in name only. It is a stadium membership mainly purchased to see football.
It's not free access, they pay through their membership fees. They also pay to reserve a seat.
Their fees are what has paid to build a large portion of the ground.

If ur crappy interstate team get a chance to play the toyota grand final ur really lucky!! 100,000 seats so more space for all the fans, loads of nice people and great food galleries pubs clubs and raves, come make a weekend of it! You even get the grand final parade,and its free how good is that!! No grand final parade down Unley road its not big enough!! MCG is the best!
I come to Melbourne all the time, it’s great. I just don’t want the Grand Final played there regardless of merit, indefinitely.

And hey, Unley Road is in like our top three roads, man!

Typical Victorian answer!! As if it would be viable at this time to build a stadium in WA that would seat 100,000 - we just don't have the population at the moment but that does not mean in my opinion the GF can't be played at a stadium that say holds 80,000. Other sporting codes in various countries throughout the world hold their GFs at different venues. It's called the AFL but all of us outside Victoria really know it's still the VFL run by mainly Victorians. What's needed is a few more from outside Victoria to be on the board of the AFL then we may start to see some fairness. In my opinion there should be no home ground advantage to either team on GF day - don't know how it could be arranged - eg last year it should have been held in Sydney. That's in a perfect world of course !

Do you prefer home team gets grand final or rotating grand final planned in advance?

Because if it's the former good luck getting a seat if you didn't finish on top and it's played at either Etihad or kardinia Park (or whatever they call the giant's ground - or the scg).

And if you want rotating granny's, then why not allow geelong or the giants to host it too, and you still have the same problem that unless you fluke it you end up playing away from home. And in addition the entire competition ends up worse off for revenue due to less bums on seats.

But hey you had your chance to build a ground that caters for the future. Or start your own league.

How about a little reality on here for a bit.
Right at this minute there is no other venue that can host a GF and there is no plans in any state to build or redevelop a ground to 75k plus which is about the requirement. So there is no alternative.
Is it possible over the next 40 years an alternative may appear? Yes of course it is but until it happens the discussion is moot.
Then there is the ever changing landscape of the sport over the next 40 years, money is going to take the game to places no one will like, I can’t see any possible chance of their being a salary cap in 40 years and even if there is it will be so high that only a few clubs will be able to fund it. Players greed won’t stop and their want for more money will take over the game.
Now sit back and imagine what the actual sport will look like and it is very concerning. Possibility of non contact, grids maybe even a ball change. All pie in the sky stuff but just look at the changes the last 20 years and Aussie Rules as we know it I don’t think has much of a future unless some rich group want to save the sport.
Money money money is how the AFL operate, every decision is based on money. Every debate on here no matter the subject ends up at why would the AFL do that as it will lose money.
It is just a matter of time before a number of clubs say let’s make it about money and only the wealthy will survive.
Fortunately for me I won’t be around to see it but its inevitable so where the GF is played who will really give a toss then.

Do you prefer home team gets grand final or rotating grand final planned in advance?

Because if it's the former good luck getting a seat if you didn't finish on top and it's played at either Etihad or kardinia Park (or whatever they call the giant's ground).

And if you want rotating granny's, then why not allow geelong or the giants to host it too, and you still have the same problem that unless you fluke it you end up playing away from home. And in addition the entire competition ends up worse off for revenue due to less bums on seats.

But hey you had your chance to build a ground that caters for the future. Or start your own league.
I think rotating the Grand Final has merit. Set minimum standards that stadiums must meet with regards to capacity, facilities, and transport in order to have a chance of hosting.

One of the reasons the MCG has grown into such an epic stadium is the right to host the Grand Final. It’s a reinforcing loop.

Because if it's the former good luck getting a seat if you didn't finish on top and it's played at either Etihad or kardinia Park (or whatever they call the giant's ground - or the scg).

Be careful what you wish for as over the next 20 years this will become more and more likely.

How about a little reality on here for a bit.
Right at this minute there is no other venue that can host a GF and there is no plans in any state to build or redevelop a ground to 75k plus which is about the requirement. So there is no alternative.
Is it possible over the next 40 years an alternative may appear? Yes of course it is but until it happens the discussion is moot.
Then there is the ever changing landscape of the sport over the next 40 years, money is going to take the game to places no one will like, I can’t see any possible chance of their being a salary cap in 40 years and even if there is it will be so high that only a few clubs will be able to fund it. Players greed won’t stop and their want for more money will take over the game.
Now sit back and imagine what the actual sport will look like and it is very concerning. Possibility of non contact, grids maybe even a ball change. All pie in the sky stuff but just look at the changes the last 20 years and Aussie Rules as we know it I don’t think has much of a future unless some rich group want to save the sport.
Money money money is how the AFL operate, every decision is based on money. Every debate on here no matter the subject ends up at why would the AFL do that as it will lose money.
It is just a matter of time before a number of clubs say let’s make it about money and only the wealthy will survive.
Fortunately for me I won’t be around to see it but its inevitable so where the GF is played who will really give a toss then.

Something like AFLX could be the dominant code and traditional footy gets watched by hardcore traditionalists at small stadiums

Fantasy? That’s the future of cricket

The salt gets funnier an funnier

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sy...s/news-story/1ace275df3dab2e33036e84d65579d51

So if GWS make the grand final they get a bigger ticket allotment than a Victorian opponent? Where does that come from? The opponents allocation?

The qualification is a $200 GWS membership, the Victorian version also lets you into 9 or so regular games not involving gws in the afl members

I can see a black market racket in said memberships, even more so if they get given an unrealistic allotment

You read it here first, if the Giants are looking good in July get a Victorian giants membership and help yourself to free entry to up to ten of these games in AFL reserve and qualify for a certain grand final ticket if the giants are playing.
B1BFE07D-BB97-4073-B98C-0F496CC38D55.jpeg

Last edited:
Look at the fixture. In order to schedule wc at the G where does that home club then play? Away? There are only so many games a home team can get at the g. There only so many games that can be held there on any one weekend. Unless they start to play double headers.
Just to suit wce (what about the other interstate clubs, how many will they need to play there?) getting more games at the mcg. Just how many more do they need there do you think? Another 1? Or 2 or 4? Is it the ground dimensions, where the goals are situated, the boundary lines or what.

Why not just have the ground dimensions, boundary lines and where the goals are placed kept a secret and change the dimensions etc on grand final day. Make it different to the home and away games, then both clubs will have an equal footing on gf day.
This is a pretty stupid post with a terrible solution. Home ground advantages have been empirically shown to exist. This includes NBA where court sizes are regulated.

You might not want to recognise it because it takes the lustre off Hawthorns 3 peat but playing a home grand final against a non-Vic club is an advantage, regardless of ground dimensions.

It talks about netball lol.
We flew to Perth 3 times at the end of the season. What did you think of the Pies' performance tonight against all those studies?

Thats very scientific of you.....

Comparing Collingwood to to WA teams re travel. So because the Pies travelled to Adelaide for the first time in round 4 and won that dispells the claim that interstate teams travelling to the gf isnt a serious dissadvantage?

Troll post of the year. Well done.

Pridham, apart from completely ignoring the fact his club has significant Melbourne based support says the stats don’t lie
Sydney only had 2 mcg games in 2016 a significant disadvantage? Well so did the bulldogs and it’s a similar ‘stat’ for 2014-2016
Bulldogs also overcame the odds with two finals on the road, and a win over Hawthorn at hawthorns home ground?

Woe woe is me. Tell that to saints and hawks fans who had the pleasure of seeing their star players run round in sydney jumpers -and no I don’t mean spider Everett

Level playing field?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back