MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

You talking about the same 50k AFL and MCC members that attend every GF every year? My heart would bleed if they missed the occasional GF.

Take the seats away from those theatre goers, let actual members attend instead and you might have a point.

You do realise that AFL members are club members yeah? And competing clubs supporters get preference for GF tickets? Also a lot of MCC supporters double up as club members.

Let's pretend the mcg was vacant all year except for finals. No home ground advantage in that case - but I suspect the wailing from across the border would continue. So it is really travel for one game a year (if you make it) that's the issue, right?

If that's the case then by all means build yourselves a proper stadium that can fit the crowd. Hell, you had the chance just now and didn't. So blame the wretched state of your own finances for not building a 100k stadium. The mcg hosted crowds that big 50 years ago with a tiny population like yours is now.

If we do the superbowl model you still run the risk of travel and you still run the risk of those nasty opposition crowds booing you even if you finished on top. And less chance of getting a ticket too.

In the real world this decision makes perfect sense from the AFL's point of view. They get a new stand at the home of football, they fix the problems with Etihad, and long term they keep any other code (ie soccer) from getting a foothold in the biggest stadium in the country.

You'd think interstate teams had never won a flag.

It's closer to 40k at the GF.
Anyway, they are members too and passionate footy fans. People seem to think AFL/MCC members are suit wearing cigar smoking theatre goers. They're not. Anyone can become an AFL Member, it's not that expensive either.
You do realise that AFL members are club members yeah? And competing clubs supporters get preference for GF tickets? Also a lot of MCC supporters double up as club members.

Anyone? Anyone in Victoria. Its not worth the plastic its printed on in any other state.

I was in the bay directly to the left of the MCC at the 2015 GF. Was disgusting how many people who didn't support a side was in the MCC. Could have heard a pin drop to my right for 99% of the game.

And this isnt just a non Vic whinge. How many Dog members, Tiger members were locked out of the GF while Hawks, Pies, Bombers etc etc AFL and MCC members enjoyed a day out at the theatre watching their 25th Grand Final in a row?

Lol we used planes for our travel too, twice to Perth in the finals and 9 other flights. Circadian rythyms and netball teams lol. Is that why Darling dropped that mark, NicNat went missing yet again and LeCras was more worried about his hairstyle than getting a kick? It's 2 hours difference ffs.
Circadian rhythms absolutely not lol.

This may help bring you up to speed on the latest in neuroscientific findings:

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/295665/why-we-sleep/

Or try googling “increase in incidence of hospital admissions for heart attacks and car crash injuries on first night of daylight savings” or somesuch, to find out how important circadian rhythms are. And that’s for a shift of merely one hour.

Let's pretend the mcg was vacant all year except for finals. No home ground advantage in that case - but I suspect the wailing from across the border would continue. So it is really travel for one game a year (if you make it) that's the issue, right?

If that's the case then by all means build yourselves a proper stadium that can fit the crowd. Hell, you had the chance just now and didn't. So blame the wretched state of your own finances for not building a 100k stadium. The mcg hosted crowds that big 50 years ago with a tiny population like yours is now.

If we do the superbowl model you still run the risk of travel and you still run the risk of those nasty opposition crowds booing you even if you finished on top. And less chance of getting a ticket too.

In the real world this decision makes perfect sense from the AFL's point of view. They get a new stand at the home of football, they fix the problems with Etihad, and long term they keep any other code (ie soccer) from getting a foothold in the biggest stadium in the country.

Weve just had a stealth decision thats signed up a grand final that was already signed up to 2037 - for another 20 years.

Unlike almost everything the afl do thats thought bubbled then talked about with reactions guaged etc - they just sewed this up

Id say not building a 100k white elephant was incredibly far sighted.

Especially seeing as i cant think of another major sport that requires a stadium of that size.

World cup (the biggest sporting event on earth) - nope

Superbowl - nope

Typical Victorian answer!! As if it would be viable at this time to build a stadium in WA that would seat 100,000 - we just don't have the population at the moment but that does not mean in my opinion the GF can't be played at a stadium that say holds 80,000. Other sporting codes in various countries throughout the world hold their GFs at different venues. It's called the AFL but all of us outside Victoria really know it's still the VFL run by mainly Victorians. What's needed is a few more from outside Victoria to be on the board of the AFL then we may start to see some fairness. In my opinion there should be no home ground advantage to either team on GF day - don't know how it could be arranged - eg last year it should have been held in Sydney. That's in a perfect world of course !

Anyone? Anyone in Victoria. Its not worth the plastic its printed on in any other state.

I was in the bay directly to the left of the MCC at the 2015 GF. Was disgusting how many people who didn't support a side was in the MCC. Could have heard a pin drop to my right for 99% of the game.

And this isnt just a non Vic whinge. How many Dog members, Tiger members were locked out of the GF while Hawks, Pies, Bombers etc etc AFL and MCC members enjoyed a day out at the theatre watching their 25th Grand Final in a row?

Probably because of Waverley origins, but hawks are among the lower represented in AFL and MCC membership
It’s one reason why our club membership is apparently ‘too high’ that and 10k in tassie

But the presold tickets for afl grand final is a whole other thing, and it’s a pity more club members at the game wasn’t included in this deal

Typical Victorian answer!! As if it would be viable at this time to build a stadium in WA that would seat 100,000 - we just don't have the population at the moment but that does not mean in my opinion the GF can't be played at a stadium that say holds 80,000. Other sporting codes in various countries throughout the world hold their GFs at different venues. It's called the AFL but all of us outside Victoria really know it's still the VFL run by mainly Victorians. What's needed is a few more from outside Victoria to be on the board of the AFL then we may start to see some fairness. In my opinion there should be no home ground advantage to either team on GF day - don't know how it could be arranged - eg last year it should have been held in Sydney. That's in a perfect world of course !

All around the world? There’s plenty of examples supporting both arguments. The other code in Sydney always plays in Sydney. That’s the closest example

Funny but this week we victorians have been told we need an airport rail link ‘because all other world cities have one’
We didn’t get too excited because instead of theoretical arguments we know that practically it’s a low priority for us, but in about 10 years time we’ll probably need one, but autonomous vehicles might change the whole thing on its head

You were able to overcome it to win in 97 and 98, what's changed?
Nothing has changed, but why should one side have to overcome an obstacle that the other doesn’t to achieve the ultimate aim of winning a flag. It’s inherently unequal, but the league just locked it in until 2057.

For supporters who just want to see their side win a flag, it’s incredibly frustrating to know that there is a mechanism built into the system that significantly reduces their chances of seeing that.

So there's about 2mil people in Perth, and there was just over that in Melb in 1969 when over 116,000 went to the grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Circadian rhythms absolutely not lol.

This may help bring you up to speed on the latest in neuroscientific findings:

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/295665/why-we-sleep/

Or try googling “increase in incidence of hospital admissions for heart attacks and car crash injuries on first night of daylight savings” or somesuch, to find out how important circadian rhythms are. And that’s for a shift of merely one hour.
What about half an hour?

No, but many say the greatest ever preliminary final ( at least for us, but many neutrals too) was played there.

Doggies won many games interstate,finals no less,to say they fluked a premiership is laughable.

Was great to watch.

Not taking anything away from my Tigers though,we peaked at the right time,that’s key in winning a premiership.

Wasn't many in 2017. And to the second point, it was one of the most boring GFs in recent memory.
Knew some peanut would bring that up. Congrats.

Noise in bay in front, to my left. Deafening. Hawks fans high fiving, me crying into my beer. To my right, nothing, total void.

Tigers and Crows had last year, what, 50k members each. You telling me not many were locked out? Im calling you a liar.

Disagree. It gets you into your home games for free if there is GA, or for a discount if you reserve a seat.
Also gets you into home finals cheap, finals in Melbourne cheap and a guaranteed GF ticket if your team makes it. You may even get a GF ticket when your team doesn't make it.

Disagree. It gets you into your home games for free if there is GA, or for a discount if you reserve a seat.
Also gets you into home finals cheap, finals in Melbourne cheap and a guaranteed GF ticket if your team makes it. You may even get a GF ticket when your team doesn't make it.
So we get a greatly reduced benefit?

Wow lucky us.

Knew some peanut would bring that up. Congrats.

Noise in bay in front, to my left. Deafening. Hawks fans high fiving, me crying into my beer. To my right, nothing, total void.

Tigers and Crows had last year, what, 50k members each. You telling me not many were locked out? Im calling you a liar.

Lying about what?
You said you could hear a pin drop in the MCC because there were hardly any supporters of a GF club in there.
Was disgusting how many people who didn't support a side was in the MCC. Could have heard a pin drop to my right for 99% of the game.
I said this wasn't the case in 2017 - was full of Tigers supporters. Of course there were still neutrals and there were even a decent amount of crows supporters in there (not sure how).
And of course members were locked out as demonstrated by the crowd at Punt Rd oval.

Just quietly, I reckon you might be the one lying about hearing a pin drop at a GF ;), peanut.

Nothing has changed, but why should one side have to overcome an obstacle that the other doesn’t to achieve the ultimate aim of winning a flag. It’s inherently unequal, but the league just locked it in until 2057.

For supporters who just want to see their side win a flag, it’s incredibly frustrating to know that there is a mechanism built into the system that significantly reduces their chances of seeing that.
There are many mechanisms against fairness in our competition and I would personally love to see it shared about but get why they are not doing so.
But I think the MCG Grand Final is slightly down the list on fairness issues. A 17 season fixture is number one in my mind. Closer to equal access to playing on the MCG each year another (eg we only ever play there twice a year!), umpires not effected by crowd reactions and maybe a third team in WA, then SA to have equal proportion to population? A Tassie team a must! Among other issues.

Overcome an obstacle? You currently have 20 players on your list with GF experience, more than most teams.

Reduced chance of seeing the GF? Interstate teams get the same public allocation of tickets as vic teams, AFL & MCC memberships are not exclusive and anyone can apply.

No, your team is not disadvantaged nor are you attending!!

Seemed to really affect the tigers in both games they played in adelaide?
But they flew West which is not really as big an issue according to your study. Maybe they just played crap, maybe they hit their peak in September when it matters, very hard to stay at your peak for the whole season, they timed their run perfectly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back