Moved Thread Collingwood V Port Adelaide Jumper Debate part2

Remove this Banner Ad

No issues with Port wearing their prison bars jumper in the reserves league.

At the end of the day, its doubtful many people would be caring about an AFL reserves league anyway. I have never had any interest in Geelong's VFL side, but I have always followed the West Adelaide results and their seldom finals campaigns. They were the side that would always come out and visit our school and footy club each year, it was through the Bloods we were able to play mini league on Footy Park during halftime of AFL games, its where all of our decent players in the Mallee league would go to try and make a name for themselves, and all of our Auskick footys, stickers and waterbottles were decked out in Westies red and black. West Adelaide winning the premiership a few years ago was like everyone in our league winning that flag.

If the Port Adelaide Magpies were forced to leave the SANFL to join the new AFL reserves competition, couldn't they just called be Port Adelaide? Not the Power, but simply Port Adelaide FC. I'm sure enough people call them Port as an informal nickname anyway?

With the benefit of hindsight, this would have been a great idea in 1997. Just going in as Port Adelaide without a nickname and letting it evolve naturally.

That or the Pirates.

Another option could be to have the prison bars as a permanent alternate guernsey. Worn maybe, 5 times a year.
It might sound odd but I think wearing the Prison Bars at home against clubs that have a similar look to some SANFL clubs would give it a better vibe.

Melbourne(Norwood), Carlton(South Adelaide, or Sturt if they had the light blue clash), Richmond(Glenelg), Essendon(West Adelaide), Western Bulldogs(Centrals), West Coast(WWT Eagles), Sydney(North Adelaide) and Geelong(South Adelaides away jumper that they use when they come to Alberton).

Not sure how many of those teams we play at home this year but I'd imagine it might be around 5.

Edit: We have Geelong, Richmond, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Eagles and Essendon at home so that's 6.

Clubs like Crows, Freo, GWS, Gold Coast, Brisbane, North Melb, Hawthorn, St Kilda I think the normal home jumper we use is fine.

vs Collingwood I'd be willing to wear a teal clash home or away.

If the Port Adelaide Magpies were forced to leave the SANFL to join the new AFL reserves competition, couldn't they just called be Port Adelaide? Not the Power, but simply Port Adelaide FC. I'm sure enough people call them Port as an informal nickname anyway?
Now that you mention it, I can't recall ever referring to Port Adelaide as the Power, aside from making the obvious 'power outage' jokes when they cop a massive loss

Agreed. They are always Port to me.

Similar with Melbourne and North, I never call them the Demons or Kangaroos respectively.
I call North the Roos quite often because when I was born thats the branding they used, they had dropped the NM at that point and didn't bring it back until I was already a pretty avid footy fan, plus my dad is a NM fan and was always trying to teach me to say 'Go Roos!' as a child

Yeah look the prison bars are way cooler than the collingwood jumper anyway. And the traditional white with black stripes doesn't clash with the mostly black and thin prison bars. On that basis, change port back to the magpies in all comps and bring back the prison bars. Both can wear clashes away if and when that comes about

Yeah look the prison bars are way cooler than the collingwood jumper anyway. And the traditional white with black stripes doesn't clash with the mostly black and thin prison bars. On that basis, change port back to the magpies in all comps and bring back the prison bars. Both can wear clashes away if and when that comes about
This post is what's wrong with this board.

This post is what's wrong with this board.
I can understand the clash of the Magpies nickname. But the jumpers saga can easily be sorted via clash jumpers. In our case wearing all teal vs Collingwood.

I can understand the clash of the Magpies nickname. But the jumpers saga can easily be sorted via clash jumpers. In our case wearing all teal vs Collingwood.
Yeah I was mainly referring to the idea of having two teams with the same name. Even still, having two teams with the exact same colour scheme is never going to work. I'm happy for Port to wear it for special occasions maybe twice a year, but never against Collingwood. It will make my eyes bleed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would anyone be surprised that the reason Collingwood changed their jumper from the traditional white with black stripes to their current black with white stripes due to Eddie's pettiness over this subject and to make the jumpers clash?
Yes, because that wasn't the reason. It was Adidas who did that.

Weren’t Port known as the Magentas before they were called the Magpies? Drop Teal for Magenta and incorporate into the prison bars maybe?

Weren’t Port known as the Magentas before they were called the Magpies? Drop Teal for Magenta and incorporate into the prison bars maybe?
Didn't think we had a nickname prior to the Magpies. Wharfies maybe.

We also had a sky blue jumper as well.

I'm no fan of Port Adelaide but the very reason they were admitted into the AFL was because of their history.

Yes they had to adapt -- adding teal to their colours -- but when the AFL starts going on about celebrating football history, how can any one club claim that Port has no right to celebrate their storied history? After all, that is why they were admitted in the first place.

I've actually got a '04 Elimination final jumper in my collection.

Didn't we establish about 20 years ago that Port agreed to change their identity and colour scheme in order to have their bid in the AFL accepted? How the hell could a national league support two teams with the same monica and colour scheme.

Didn't we establish about 20 years ago that Port agreed to change their identity and colour scheme in order to have their bid in the AFL accepted? How the hell could a national league support two teams with the same monica and colour scheme.
Nobody is really talking about the nickname, it's the jumper problem that can easily be sorted via clash jumpers. Just like how every other league in the world operates apart from the AFL.

Nobody is really talking about the nickname, it's the jumper problem that can easily be sorted via clash jumpers. Just like how every other league in the world operates apart from the AFL.
Ah I see. To be honest I don't quite feel the prison bar guernsey is a visual masterpiece enough to warrant them wearing it as their main guernsey apart from playing Collingwood and it's just for traditions sake. Although I wouldn't mind them wearing it a few rounds (or if heritage round ever comes back).

I'm sure people have had a crack at putting some teal in the prison bar design.

I'm no fan of Port Adelaide but the very reason they were admitted into the AFL was because of their history.
False premise. "We care so much about your history Port, now please ditch the parts we have no use for and then you can join us in the AFL". You buying that?

I've actually got a '04 Elimination final jumper in my collection.
Perhaps a Freudian slip there, I'm sure you meant '14.

What of 2004, though? Pretty significant page in the Port Adelaide record books. If we're going to be consistent with the "history first" angle, shouldn't the PAFC still be wearing that SBS jumper at AFL level.

Just bring back the GOAT and be done with it.

741AECFB-2F89-443C-86F7-3FCAC079E6E3.jpeg

If it were up to me, just from my personal taste, I’d have this as the home with an inverse white base as the away - with the prison bars acting as a “third” guernsey, to feature 4-5 times during the season.

The current chevron design, whilst is clean, lacks character compared to the above.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back