Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben’s game has gone to a new level this year.

He’s been far more consistent than I can recall.

Also racking up more posssesions.
My theory is that Cunnington likes the responsibility and space in the middle without Ziebell (and Swallow when he was playing) taking over. It's a good thing too because Cunners is so much cleaner with ball in hand while being just as hard at the contest.

My theory is that Cunnington likes the responsibility and space in the middle without Ziebell (and Swallow when he was playing) taking over. It's a good thing too because Cunners is so much cleaner with ball in hand while being just as hard at the contest.

Yep, he’s the midfield leader now and it is a role that sits very well.

Not sure about that.
He now has Anderson in the middle with him. We just replaced one hard nut with another, and moved the other hard nut to the forward line.

I just think we are witnessing the renaissance of Ben10

Not sure about that.
He now has Anderson in the middle with him. We just replaced one hard nut with another, and moved the other hard nut to the forward line.

I just think we are witnessing the renaissance of Ben10
With all due respect to young Samson, he aint in the same league of "that's my ball" mentality that the Captain does.

I think Cunner's knowing that the square is now his and his alone to control, thrives on it and realises his true potential.

With all due respect to young Samson, he aint in the same league of "that's my ball" mentality that the Captain does.

I think Cunner's knowing that the square is now his and his alone to control, thrives on it and realises his true potential.
Good points.
Nonetheless, I think it’s genuinely exciting watching this new midfield dynamic.

All for Cunners realising his full potential. He’s a gun as is, would love to see him elevate himself even further into the top 10 tier of influential players in the comp, he has the talent and work ethic to do this.
On Anderson there is no doubt that he will only get better as the season progresses. I believe his ceiling to be very high.

We are different team with Cunners, Anderson and BennyJ fronting up in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$251 on Sportsbet for the Brownlow. Worth a couple of bucks, if only for cash out value.
It’s actually probably worth putting a buck or two on Brown, despite cunners form being great the umpires would probably notice what brown does more. I’d say he’s already on 6-7 votes.

He is the senior inside midfielder i reckon, even with Higgo in there. He nearly always stands up when we are struggling and has some of his best figures when we lose and the rest of the midfield struggles.

Player rating of 500.6, re-defined his career high, set last week. Now 20th overall in the AFL.

Sorry can't take those ranking seriously.

Rance, McGovern, T.McDonald, H.Andrews, Lever, May, Talia, H.Taylor and Nick Hayes are all ranked above Robbie Tarrant in the key defender category.

Furthermore....

Franklin, Kennedy, Lynch, Westhoff, Walker, Hawkins, Daniher, Cameron and Riewoldt are all ranked above Ben Brown in the Key forward category.

Its good that cunners is getting some credit, but they are terrible rankings.

He is the senior inside midfielder i reckon, even with Higgo in there. He nearly always stands up when we are struggling and has some of his best figures when we lose and the rest of the midfield struggles.
I remember saying on here a few years ago that I thought he played his best footy when he knew that he was The Man.

He's shown glimpses in the past that he relishes that role, but he's now doing it consistently because his head is clear and there isn't another contested beast in there getting in the way.

No offence to Zieb's, but Cunnington is in a class of his own as a creating clearance machine.

$251 on Sportsbet for the Brownlow. Worth a couple of bucks, if only for cash out value.

Sidebottom would have 10-12 votes already.

Put your money on him for the $26.

Sorry can't take those ranking seriously.

Rance, McGovern, T.McDonald, H.Andrews, Lever, May, Talia, H.Taylor and Nick Hayes are all ranked above Robbie Tarrant in the key defender category.

Furthermore....

Franklin, Kennedy, Lynch, Westhoff, Walker, Hawkins, Daniher, Cameron and Riewoldt are all ranked above Ben Brown in the Key forward category.

Its good that cunners is getting some credit, but they are terrible rankings.
The same ratings say that Brown has gone to another level this year, is in the best 10 players at any position in rounds 2-5, that he’s only behind Buddy for key forwards this year (Tex is also technically marginally ahead of him, but didn’t play in Cairns), and that Cunners has ironed out his inconsistency issues over the last year or so and has become a top 20 player in the league. Also, that Shaun Atley is a much better HFF than HBF. All these things are true afaiac.

I tend to agree that it’s bad at rating defenders, especially key defenders, and the 40-game window makes some of the ratings look strange relative to current performance. I mean, it has Scooter and Majak in the top 10 KPDs for this season but Taz outside the top 20. Weird.

Ben Cunnington is elite. He is an A-grader, easily. Come at me.

Ben Cunnington is elite. He is an A-grader, easily. Come at me.

What's to come at? Some of us have been saying it for ages. :thumbsu:

Just on the betting angle - that $251 for the Brownlow looks the goods. If he has one or two big games in the next month, it'll be a nice cash-out earner.

You can also bet each-way at those odds.

With Ziebs out of the middle, and a bunch of youngsters rotating through the midfield, i suspect Cunnington has had to step up.

Alot more consistent this year and seems to be tacking charge.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I remember saying on here a few years ago that I thought he played his best footy when he knew that he was The Man.

He's shown glimpses in the past that he relishes that role, but he's now doing it consistently because his head is clear and there isn't another contested beast in there getting in the way.

No offence to Zieb's, but Cunnington is in a class of his own as a creating clearance machine.

I think remember that actually. Someone said it and I've been watching for that dynamic ever since. I definitely agree.

I'm a bit tired of ben being labeled as 'workman - like' etc

He's an out and out star - if he played for collingwood the media narrative would be completely different.

Yep, so cool headed in the contest. Clean mark too. I'd have him as our best player. Something like:
Cunnington > Higgins > Tarrant = Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back