What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rule about not being allowed to substitute injured players in crap. I can cop losing a game if your opponent brings more intensity and executes their skills better. But losing because you're playing with less players than your opponent is BS and leaves a very bad taste.
If we're going to look after players who have been concussed then we need to alter the rules to allow for that.

The rule about not being allowed to substitute injured players in crap. I can cop losing a game if you opponent brings more intensity and executes their skills better. But losing because you playing with less players than your opponent is BS and leaves a very bad taste.
If we're going to look after players who have been concussed then we need to alter the rules to allow for that.
We did, and everyone hated it.

We did, and everyone hated it.

No. I'm not talking about the old sub rule. I'm talking about having the ability to replace up to four injured players if you need to. Basically do whatever needs to be done so one team doesn't end up with less players than their opponent.

No. I'm not talking about the old sub rule. I'm talking about having the ability to replace up to four injured players if you need to. Basically do whatever needs to be done so one team doesn't end up with less players than their opponent.
How is this going to be logistically done though? Your way means the 4 emergencies dont play in the VFL, or they do play in the VFL then in an AFL game if needed?

Get rid of the interchange all together and just make it subs then you will never have to worry about being down a rotation as it will just be 18 vs 18 again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is this going to be logistically done though? Your way means the 4 emergencies dont play in the VFL, or they do play in the VFL then in an AFL game if needed?

This happens all the time. Not 4 players, but enough.

Just make it sub on, sub off... like soccer, if you want that sort of change

The rule about not being allowed to substitute injured players in crap. I can cop losing a game if your opponent brings more intensity and executes their skills better. But losing because you're playing with less players than your opponent is BS and leaves a very bad taste.

I'm not sure its an unpopular opinion, just a difficult one to solve, especially if a dedicated sub is, apparently, so loathed and interchange so loved. The best compromise I could come up with is keep 4 on the interchange but only 2 can be used each quarter, nominated at the start of the quarter. It should reduce any player disadvantage to a quarter max, you could further tweak it by allowing a change for a clear impact injury, such as a concussion.

It would also necessitate reduced interchanges and allow tactical use of the interchange between quarters.

I suspect my opinion is however an unpopular one.

That swearing and drinking (heavy) beer is becoming frowned upon by AFL/Shitihad/G and they then feel they are VPOL. FOrf! Not in my life time. You will/have receive more push back.

Nat Fyfe is a frustrated and angry footballer because he is stuck at Fremantle and has become a thug on the field because of it.
MHTqR89.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draft is overrated.

Scouting mature age recruits should be the goal of every team.
The draft is the only real way to get top-end talent. But these days the level of required fitness and conditioning has increased so much it's taking longer for draftees to have a decent impact.

I'd be in favour of raising the draft age by a year to get them more physically prepared for AFL footy.

AFL player development is whack. Draft 18 year olds, play them in the seconds and hope they become guns. Weird.

We took Brad Sheppard at pick 7. Nat Fyfe was pick 20. And Freo had pick 4 before that. Now Brad Sheppard has become a good footballer, but it took all of a handful of games for Fyfe to start polling Brownlow votes and by his second year people were already realising he was a potential superstar. Meanwhile Sheppard took about 5 years to establish himself and in and closing in on 150 games has 1 Brownlow vote to his name. Every team would love a dependable HB but he's not going to attract any $1m FA offers.

In a parallel universe where we draft players a year later I doubt we still pick Sheppard over Fyfe, if Fyfe lasts to pick 7.

cunnington butchered the ball by foot yesterday, especially in the first half. 32 contested possessions are undone by giving the ball straight back to opposition. cost goals agaisnt us and potential shots at goal for us

edit* he went at 65% efficiency which when you have 18 handballs it bumps it up

Last edited:
Commentators constantly stating ‘4 (or 5 goal) deficit is not much in the modern game’.

Well maybe 5 years ago, but in today’s game where winning scores are just over 80pts, it’s a big margin.

Good call actually - there has been a handful of games the last couple of rounds with a 3 goal margin at 3/4 time and the broadcasters have lamented the side behind is going to struggle to kick the 5 goals needed to win assuming the other team kicks the odd goal.

Commentators constantly stating ‘4 (or 5 goal) deficit is not much in the modern game’.

Well maybe 5 years ago, but in today’s game where winning scores are just over 80pts, it’s a big margin.

Remember the days when that was true.

24 points down at 3 quarter time... GAME ON!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back