Universal Love Jordan Murdoch Has Played 99 Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Mirrors the team in many ways - good on his day, but far too much of a gap between the good and the bad.

Still reckon he's been wasted by being played further up the ground. Came to the club as a forward, and all his better senior footy has been as a forward. He's pretty solid overhead, knows where the goals are and provides defensive pressure. In a team where those traits are in short supply, I'm surprised he hasn't spent more time up forward.

I liken Murdoch to this side as Dave Johnson was to the early 2000s side.
Once they became good enough to genuinely be Flag contenders they would never see the AFL team again, unfortunately this list just hasn't gotten to that point.
He's a good AFL player, clearly, but as frustrating as it gets sometimes.
David Johnson eats Murdoch for breakfast everyday of the week. Johnson was getting games in the 07 and 08 teams, Murdoch wouldn’t have got near that

Do we think Murda would be a different player if he was allowed to play HFF permanently? Scott has used him at HBF and wing which probably stuffs up his career a bit

Jordy is not going to win any prizes for his predictive skill either.
From his blurb , post draft, referring to Glenelg teammate and fellow draftee Lincoln McCarthy....
"I was talking to Linc and he is as excited as I am, so it will be great to have him alongside me so we can have a real crack at it together."
:rolleyes:

Extremely frustrating player, been posting my thoughts on him for years. I had a small glimmer of hope he would fix the mental side of his game with intensity and decision making.. Just when I thought he might have done it after a few good games he undoes it in typical fashion.
He has elite pace, in the last 12 months particularly has tackled like a demon, is 6ft3 and has a raking left foot. He has unique height/pace combination. Unfortunately, while his best is at times very good; his way ref is horrible and there is no consistency there.
There is one thing I like about Murdoch which is that I'll never question his effort.
No doubt puts everything into a game, he's not the smartest player going around, he's not the cleanest but I don't think I've ever thought that he didn't put in the effort or desire. Probably why he's gotten to 100 games.

Some excellent assessments gents

Kudos to him for getting this far , he has some fantastic attributes but also some shortcomings.

In terms of coaching and training there's a few focus areas IMHO to make him a better player:

> Handball - upskill on both sides of the body as this is a major weakness
> Decision Making - encourage him to be more instinctive and give the first option
> Carrying the footy - cradles it - needs to carry with both hands so he can raise the arms and get the handball away when tackled
> Role - take the Parsons or Gregson role , stay away from deep in defence where his faults are magnified

His best games have been forward of centre where he has used his pace to set up goals or kick them himself.

From his blurb , post draft, referring to Glenelg teammate and fellow draftee Lincoln McCarthy....
"I was talking to Linc and he is as excited as I am, so it will be great to have him alongside me so we can have a real crack at it together."
Linc's take is different "Thems my games you're getting, you blonk!'

Can Geelong please work on a project to somehow cut him in half, clone a mirror image of the two halves, and then stitch them together again?

The clone which is two versions of his left hand side can stay and play another 100 games.

The clone which is two versions of his right hand side can be traded to Carlton for profit.

Can Geelong please work on a project to somehow cut him in half, clone a mirror image of the two halves, and then stitch them together again?

The clone which is two versions of his left hand side can stay and play another 100 games.

The clone which is two versions of his right hand side can be traded to Carlton for profit.
Why not trade them both?

David Johnson eats Murdoch for breakfast everyday of the week. Johnson was getting games in the 07 and 08 teams, Murdoch wouldn’t have got near that

Yeah that 1 game in 2008 must have been awesome....
He played 70 of 79 games prior to 08, if you try actually reading the post you might understand the point, once GFC were winning flags he wasn't a required player.

Really? We're now taking shots at his interview, post-draft?

Some days you yell "MURDA!" In celebration and some days you yell "MURRRDDAAAA!" (like "HOOOOGAN!" in Hogan's Heroes).

99 games is a big achievement and he's played some scintillating footy in that time period - hope he gets to 200 somewhere in the AFL. With us, or elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100 games is no easy feat.

Congrats to him on grinding it out. He's OOC at seasons end. Is there another deal for him? Who knows.

He brings speed, size and some skills to the game and at his best can be effective. And a hard tackler too.

Sadly, the gaps between seeing aforementioned talents are cavernous. Mitch Duncan - IMO an overall better player - had consistency issues but overcame them to become even better.

Not every player will A grade - I get that - but I cant help feeling Murda could have shortened the gaps between the peaks and moved higher on the list.

Perhaps he will.

GO Catters

Probably close to one of the "worst" players to get to 100...only marginally better than David Clarke Jnr. who did not get there. He is a slow thinker and although has a nice left foot needs too much time to be productive. Will always be a plodder under pressure.

Last edited:
Probably close to one of the "worst" players to get to 100...only marginally better than David Clarke Jnr. who did not get there. He is a slow thinker and although has a nice left foot needs too much time to be productive. We always be a plodder under pressure.
He reminds me of the parade of average players who wore the blue and white hoops in the 70's when the Cats were an average team

He reminds me of the parade of average players who wore the blue and white hoops in the 70's when the Cats were an average team
No argument there...he would have struggled to play 100 in the 70's never the less. Heh any bloke who gets to play 100 must have had something but Murdoch has never improved from his first 20 or 30 games. Someone likes him and obviously a player like Tom Ruggles was unloved... go figure.

Paul Jeffreys take a bow.
90 odd games over 8 years but never really cemented himself. Probably still pick him over Jordan though.
I thought Jeffreys was decent defender

I was thinking more like David Barkley, Gary Davidson & Alan Woodman

I thought Jeffreys was decent defender

I was thinking more like David Barkley, Gary Davidson & Alan Woodman
Barkley I remember, had some skills but never really delivered on the promise. The other guys-no recollection.
The only reason I picked Jeffreys is he hung around for a while and,whilst in and out of the team, nearly got to 100 games over a longish time span. Probably an insult to his body of work comparing him to Murdoch.

Probably close to one of the "worst" players to get to 100...only marginally better than David Clarke Jnr. who did not get there. He is a slow thinker and although has a nice left foot needs too much time to be productive. Will always be a plodder under pressure.
Clarke Jr was better than you give him credit for. I don't know what happened to him the year before he left for Carlton, but he was a good player (and a raffle of a kick) back in the early 2000s.

Clarke Jr was better than you give him credit for. I don't know what happened to him the year before he left for Carlton, but he was a good player (and a raffle of a kick) back in the early 2000s.
Have to agree to disagree on this one. Had endurance but for a player of his size had almost zero skill. Would not argue endeavour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back