Next Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, Simpson has taken his team to the finals each year. Hardwick's missed once since 2013. I'd argue that Buckley has underperformed for several seasons.

Lyon has had three bad seasons in a row and worse is yet to come. Those close last second wins last year really flattered Freo's win-loss record. 10+ goal thrashings have become common for Freo.

I question why you have only recently started to post on BigFooty and why you are so anti-Lyon?
You continually present extremely biased figures ... some which I have shown aren't even true.
Even here you try to present Freo's 10+ goal losses as an indicator of RTB's lack of coaching abilities, when the facts are that Freo had 8 10+ goal losses in 2016 & 2017 combined ... Richmond ... last year's premiers had 7 in that same period (more than Freo in 2016).
RTB has got Freo to Finals in 8 of 11 seasons for 20 finals so far. Hardwick 4 out of 8 for 6 finals.

So again, I ask, why are you trying to present data to paint RTB in such a bad light?

At the very least ... you are a RTB hater ... and again, I warn readers to do their own research when viewing posts by such people.

I did through pm

Sorry guys I took a while been at work but got to them

Have not had the PM but the only one that makes any sense is C Scott if he loved the place when he was an assistant.

Can't believe Clarkson would come anywhere close to this team.

But both are with big successful clubs in Victoria so I have a lot of doubt and I have certainly not been taking the Clarkson rumour seriously.

Also, Simpson has taken his team to the finals each year. Hardwick's missed once since 2013. I'd argue that Buckley has underperformed for several seasons.

Lyon has had three bad seasons in a row and worse is yet to come. Those close last second wins last year really flattered Freo's win-loss record. 10+ goal thrashings have become common for Freo.

Mate, you look and act like a muckraker!

giphy.gif

I question why you have only recently started to post on BigFooty and why you are so anti-Lyon?

You keep responding to me.

You continually present extremely biased figures ... some which I have shown aren't even true.
Even here you try to present Freo's 10+ goal losses as an indicator of RTB's lack of coaching abilities, when the facts are that Freo had 8 10+ goal losses in 2016 & 2017 combined ... Richmond ... last year's premiers had 7 in that same period (more than Freo in 2016).
RTB has got Freo to Finals in 8 of 11 seasons for 20 finals so far. Hardwick 4 out of 8 for 6 finals.

So again, I ask, why are you trying to present data to paint RTB in such a bad light?

At the very least ... you are a RTB hater ... and again, I warn readers to do their own research when viewing posts by such people.

Biased figures? It's hard to twist 16 wins from the last 56 games.

West Coast won 16 of their last 22 in a rebuild

A defensive coach whose defence is ranked 14th, 15th, 13th in successive seasons.

Nothing biased there. Just facts.

Our deep list changes and availability go a long way to impacting the outcomes. Suggesting that the win-loss ratio is 100% the fault the coach is as ignorant a statement as you could make.

It seems to be Ross's regime. His way or the highway.

Ross Lyon has been at Fremantle since 2011 it's now 2018. This is 100% his list, his players, his style of football. Where the club is now is a consequence of his choices made over 7 years.

The perception of Lyon for a long time has been that he take a group of spuds and mould them into a cohesive defensive unit. 2016-18 has proven that to be a myth with defences ranked 14th, 15th, 13th. You could stomach a bad defence if we were sacrificing defence for goals, but Freo's forward entries are just a disaster.

It seems to be Ross's regime. His way or the highway.

Ross Lyon has been at Fremantle since 2011 it's now 2018. This is 100% his list, his players, his style of football. Where the club is now is a consequence of his choices made over 7 years.

The perception of Lyon for a long time has been that he take a group of spuds and mould them into a cohesive defensive unit. 2016-18 has proven that to be a myth with defences ranked 14th, 15th, 13th. You could stomach a bad defence if we were sacrificing defence for goals, but Freo's forward entries are just a disaster.

Well I watched some of the drafts on Foxtel and Ross didn't call out a single draftees number, it was the other bloke whatsisname.

He DEFINITELY wasn't involved in drafting anyone before 2012 because he was coaching St Kilda.

Do you know what 100% means?

You keep responding to me.

Biased figures? It's hard to twist 16 wins from the last 56 games.

West Coast won 16 of their last 22 in a rebuild

A defensive coach whose defence is ranked 14th, 15th, 13th in successive seasons.

Nothing biased there. Just facts.
What Eagles Rebuild?

If you take the view that list management exists as separate to the coach and win/loss isn't a factor than what are you actually rating a coach on?

This is what I find disappointing. We have lost our defensive ability - our trademark - yet gained nothing at the other end. It's hard to discern what our system is now.

Well I watched some of the drafts on Foxtel and Ross didn't call out a single draftees number, it was the other bloke whatsisname.

He DEFINITELY wasn't involved in drafting anyone before 2012 because he was coaching St Kilda.

Do you know what 100% means?

It's almost inconceivable that all player management and selection decisions at the very least aren't approved by Lyon in advance.

This is a guy that has shown it's his way or the highway.

First thing he did when he came to Freo was bring Zac Dawson. Dawson wouldn't have got a game at any other club in the league.

The decision to play veteran fringe players at the expense of playing your draft picks is also consistent with St Kilda's selection policy during Lyon's time at St Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's almost inconceivable that all player management and selection decisions at the very least aren't approved by Lyon in advance.

First thing he did when he came to Freo was bring Zac Dawson. Dawson wouldn't have got a game at any other club in the league.

The decision to play veteran fringe players at the expense of playing your draft picks is also consistent with St Kilda's selection policy during Lyon's time at St Kilda.

Your first line sums it up perfectly. You admit you are barely able to conceive of a possibility where Ross isn't responsible for all player management and selection decisions in advance.

Maybe if you watched the draft you'd see there are 6-8 people at every table for every club, then your imagination could run really wild :D

Your first line sums it up perfectly. You admit you are barely able to conceive of a possibility where Ross isn't responsible for all player management and selection decisions in advance.

Maybe if you watched the draft you'd see there are 6-8 people at every table for every club, then your imagination could run really wild :D

I don't think so. This is Defacto (or his younger brother). He only has eyes for Ross.

If you take the view that list management exists as separate to the coach and win/loss isn't a factor than what are you actually rating a coach on?
I don't see anybody claiming that.

What I did see was a hater claiming RTB is 100% responsible ... which was just more subjective nonsense.

Rating a coach over his entire career is surely fairer than just cherry picking his losses during what most reasonable fans would accept is a rebuilding phase.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ultimately he is responsible whether delegating or micromanaging.

Lyon strikes me as more of the micromanager type. This is a guy who ran three assistants out of the club in a 12 month period.

Except Zac was actually a great fullback for us between 2012-2014, so... Isn't this a good thing?

As for Lyon leaving... To be honest, I don't care which way it goes. I really want Ross to take the team but into the 8 just to prove the naysayers wrong, but if he steps aside and someone else does... Yeah, cool.

There's a lot of unfair criticisms and ridiculous defenses of him in this thread, as with most things the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

But if he steps down due to this years 'controversy' and due to us not making finals, then I'll be disappointed.
Coaching methods aside, I really like Ross as a person.

While I agree that Lyon has significant input, its not solely him. Don't forget he reports to Chris Bond, who runs the footy department. While you can certainly point to limitations on Lyon's part, you also need to consider that Bond has a hand in all decisions, including recruiting.

So Its not all down to one guy.

The footy department exists to serve the needs the senior coach and give him the tools to win.

The footy department exists to serve the needs the senior coach and give him the tools to win.
They've done their job the past two offseasons. Now time for Lyon to deliver. 16 wins out of 56 games doesn't cut it when the mob up the road has won 16 out of 22 while transitioning their list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back