Rumour Shuey to join Freo’s coaching team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you (and others) forgetting that Simpson comes from the Richmond school as well? Shuey would be very knowledgeable of the system.

I do totally agree with you that there would be a plethora of better options available to us though and I can't help think this thread is a big ******* joke!
Simpson came from the Hawks didn’t he?🤔

Key points:
  • I for one definitely don't mind adding to / changing our coaching mix - I think that there is at least a component of this years' issues that are probably attributable to our coaching panel and I think you always need to get fresh ideas into an organization where your competitors are always evolving.
  • You can't just have experienced coaches all the time, especially for assistant and development roles; you will need to regularly back in new blood.
  • A good player does not by necessity make a good coach just as a bad player does not by necessity make a bad coach. In fact, sometimes players that struggled make very good coaches because they had to struggle with a concept, so they are familiar in what works in terms of communicating that effectively to others.
  • Players and coaches who were in a successful environment may also be more familiar with and bring ideas / concepts that are important to cultivating success that may be overlooked by someone coming from a less successful one.
I don't know much about Luke Shuey and haven't really followed his career because Eagles, but from all accounts he has been a professional and kept himself to a strict regime to get the best out of himself. I do remember that as a draftee he had a reputation as an erratic, wayward kick who launched lots of helicopters, but I have never seen him kick particularly inaccurately at AFL level, which I suspect is also testament to the fact that he has worked very hard on his game. He also had a lot of potentially career limiting injuries early on in his career, and again I think it is testament to his mindset that he got himself on the field to be in a position to win a premiership. It strikes me that it is that thought and dedication that potentially makes a good AFL coach.

Is this whole rumour just Sumich shooting the breeze. HowSo is good at farting out s#*t.

I’d rather we go and secure an experienced Assistant. However the type of role they might have lined up for a Shuey type is more likely in the player development. Like Sandilands helping rucks and Mark Lecras with development and skills coaching.

As a player at his peak he was top notch. His body failed him the last couple of years.

Did we ever actually replace Joel Corey or did he simply move up into Carrs role with no replacement?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he applies, and is genuinely the best person for the job, then hire him.

We have to get past this idea that rivalry existing on a football field on match day somehow also has a place elsewhere in our lives. We also have to stop demonising our opposition (yes, even the Demons). It's a game, not a religious creed or life-protecting dogmatic necessity.

If you go down that road too far, you end up in Celtic vs Rangers territory -- where the more extreme members of their fan base will literally beat and kill each other over colours. (Yes there's also religious overtones to it, but given how seriously some people take AFL, the parallel still stands).

I truly love Fremantle, and I truly love the game of AFL. I also truly like the rivalry between the clubs in that it gives us opportunities for a little friendly banter and tongue in cheek trash talk. It's a feature of our national culture I really want to keep alive.

But just like any other value system or set of cultural beliefs, there are those out there who never appreciate or notice the nuances, and will ignore the spirit of something unwritten, in order to emphasize the literal translation of something that actually IS written (eg: "f***k me I hate the slime down the road")

When that happens, it's far too easy for something tongue-in-cheek to become something fist-in-cheek... And that is not a side of our national character I wish to encourage any further.

Luke Shuey has been part of the worst side in recent history. Yes he won a premiership, but that was, not recently.
I don't see what he brings to the modern game.

Luke Shuey has been part of the worst side in recent history. Yes he won a premiership, but that was, not recently.
I don't see what he brings to the modern game.
lol. Paul Roos played for Fitzroy through the 80s and 90s, a period of such sustained ineptitude that it quite famously resulted in their demise. I’m fine that Shuey was mostly injured through a couple of bad years.

Did we ever actually replace Joel Corey or did he simply move up into Carrs role with no replacement?

It says that Joel is a development coach - midfield and there are only two assistant coaches, those being Graham (forward line) and Boyd (Backline), so yes it feels like we are one assistant coach short. Mzungu is still development coach for the kiddoes and read for the fitness/ performance. Based on the functionality of those aspects I'd give:

Graham - B to be honest despite inexperience and a shakey start (Remember Key forwards Fyfe and Taberner) we have looked the best in a long while forward of centre. Amiss is developing really well and I think Freddy has also take another step up whilst Jackson when forward has been good also. Shultz went missing for a while but generally had had another solid season, Sturt is back to looking promising, Walters staying strong in his twilight and Treacy plays his role consistently.

Corey - D, generally disappointing (Brayshaw, O'Driscoll, O'Meara) particularly early on but the move of Young to the midfield to balance it up has looked good, Henry getting to the next level as a wing and Johnson has had moments. Not great usage out of Darcy's form when he has been there though.

Boyd - D, this was supposed to be our strength going into the year and has instead been overarchingly been disappointing with Pearce, Cox (and the defensive support for them, and the offense like Young when he was there) in particular being down. On the plus side Clark has taken a half step forward in his development, Wagner has had a good back end of the season and should be noted that the long injuries to Chapman and Cox.

I presume Bob Murphy is still around, but he isn't listed?

It says that Joel is a development coach - midfield and there are only two assistant coaches, those being Graham (forward line) and Boyd (Backline), so yes it feels like we are one assistant coach short. Mzungu is still development coach for the kiddoes and read for the fitness/ performance. Based on the functionality of those aspects I'd give:

Graham - B to be honest despite inexperience and a shakey start (Remember Key forwards Fyfe and Taberner) we have looked the best in a long while forward of centre. Amiss is developing really well and I think Freddy has also take another step up whilst Jackson when forward has been good also. Shultz went missing for a while but generally had had another solid season, Sturt is back to looking promising, Walters staying strong in his twilight and Treacy plays his role consistently.

Corey - D, generally disappointing (Brayshaw, O'Driscoll, O'Meara) particularly early on but the move of Young to the midfield to balance it up has looked good, Henry getting to the next level as a wing and Johnson has had moments. Not great usage out of Darcy's form when he has been there though.

Boyd - D, this was supposed to be our strength going into the year and has instead been overarchingly been disappointing with Pearce, Cox (and the defensive support for them, and the offense like Young when he was there) in particular being down. On the plus side Clark has taken a half step forward in his development, Wagner has had a good back end of the season and should be noted that the long injuries to Chapman and Cox.

Isn’t Grey also a development coach in some capacity? Plus we have that ex hawks player as ruck coach.

Good summary. I’d prob give defence a C minus. Been under siege at times this year due to such poor clearances. Clark and Young (when in backline) have been solid. Walker improved from last year except just prior to injury was all consumed with lock-down defender due to teams performance. As JL said recently in a presser they have found one in Wagner. I’d agree. Whilst he looked shaky and unsure in his first couple of games he has been crucial to our much improved form since Sydney second half onwards. Our Key defenders (Pearce, Cox) have been inconsistent and gone backwards. Both have played under duress at times (esp. Pearce) and the way we have exited d50 has been stagnant and poor. A couple of poor defensive performances to end the year and I’d agree they slide to D. Also Hughes needs to move back to depth role. Having Chapman back would help a lot, esp. with Young moving into the midfield role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back