Rumour Shuey to join Freo’s coaching team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people have a problem with Eagles being involved in our club? We have JG, and we had? Mark LeCras as well. I personally love the idea of ex-eagles making our club better over their own.
I don't have a problem with having ex-Eagles involved at the club but I do have a problem with having dickheads involved.

Yeah, we need to get over this pride/chip on our shoulder as a fan base (it was endearing once) now it's old news. We've done our time. If they're qualified and know/have had success, I would much rather get them in rather than someone who has achieved SFA just because they're a good guy or from a good club

Nice guys finish last. We need to be ruthless. Not saying Shuey is the answer, but getting assistant coaches or even some perspective from teams who have had success is a far better option than continually looking into our own unsuccessful, stagnant backyard for the next leader to lead us to potential glory
Tbh people who says no to Shuey because he's an Eagle are just straight up embarrassing and if Freo ever called a club with loser fans it'll be those people others can use as evidence.

You can say no to Shuey because of his skills however and that you might find he's not a good coach, or numerous negatives if you you're willing to discuss them and back them up. However solely because he's from the other side of town is not a good enough reason.

Anyone that's saying no because he's an Eagle, I pity them for the extreme amount they let West Coast live in their heads.

Without googling, just from the top of my head, I’d say vast majority of successful coaches became successful at clubs they didn’t play for. Hardwick, Clarkson, Longmire, Sheedy, Malthouse, Leigh Mathews just to name few. This romantic notion to have favourite son coach his club to premiership is quite rare. There’s already too many Freo boys having jobs at the club. Even Worsfold did his apprenticeship with Parkin at Carlton.
I don’t think having Mundy as an assistant coach straight out of the game would be that good.

I don’t have a problem with Shuey getting a gig, but I think we need to go after Simon Black

I would prefer us grab a coach familiar with the Richmond system, seeing how well Mcrae and Kingsley have gone at their respective new clubs. The allegations we are playing old school 2018 Buckley/Malthouse influenced football while other teams are playing the Richmond style of dare with quick, incisive counter-attack from defence, means the last thing we probably need is someone who has been associated with arguably one of the worst (and now slowest) AFL sides of all time. The fact Shuey's team is also now desperately trying to re-invent itself, tells you all you need to know in terms of how at the forefront of the industry they are.

ex-Richmond assistants Sam Lonergan, David Teague, Kane Lambert and Justin Leppitsch would be far more valuable coaching staff acquisitions in my opinion.

Last edited:
I would prefer us grab a coach familiar with the Richmond system, seeing how well Mcrae and Kingsley have gone at their respective new clubs. The allegations we are playing old school 2018 Buckley/Malthouse influenced football while other teams are playing the Richmond style of dare with quick, incisive counter-attack from defence, means the last thing we probably need is someone who has been associated with arguably one of the worst (and now slowest) AFL sides of all time. The fact Shuey's team is also now desperately trying to re-invent itself, tells you all you need to know in terms of how at the forefront of the industry they are.

ex-Richmond assistants Sam Lonergan, David Teague, Kane Lambert and Justin Leppitsch would be far more valuable coaching staff acquisitions in my opinion.

Shuey would start as development coach anyway. Basically an assistant coach to an assistant coach (obviously they help develop younger players too)

If lose or get rid of one of Graham, Corey or Boyd then bringing in an assistant from another system would likely work well. Graham and Boyd seem to be highly rated but Corey feels more like we just had no one else when Carr left tbh.

That Richmond/pies style has been found out – just outcompete them for the ground balls and keep it in your forward half. Apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still surprised we haven't tried to get Kennedy on board, who better to help our developing forwards than a former Coleman Medalist?
Pfft, what if I told you there was someone even better? Someone who has kicked over a 100 goals in a season and would be available? Also a noted stoppage expert.

Disagree. Outside of impact on memberships and ticket and merchandise sales, what we as a fan base feel or think has very little impact on club operations. The fan base is precisely the place for being proud and carrying a chip on one's shoulder.

If club management start making their decisions around coaches, etc., like a fan base, that's a problem.

In short: Eagles suck and I don't want a single one of them anywhere near my club.
Nice user name.

Are you (and others) forgetting that Simpson comes from the Richmond school as well? Shuey would be very knowledgeable of the system.

I do totally agree with you that there would be a plethora of better options available to us though and I can't help think this thread is a big ******* joke!

Without googling, just from the top of my head, I’d say vast majority of successful coaches became successful at clubs they didn’t play for. Hardwick, Clarkson, Longmire, Sheedy, Malthouse, Leigh Mathews just to name few. This romantic notion to have favourite son coach his club to premiership is quite rare. There’s already too many Freo boys having jobs at the club. Even Worsfold did his apprenticeship with Parkin at Carlton.
I don’t think having Mundy as an assistant coach straight out of the game would be that good.

I don’t have a problem with Shuey getting a gig, but I think we need to go after Simon Black
Or Barlow ?
Hes done time "overseas".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back