Best 22 Non All Australians

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi all,

After the recent Daniel Bradshaw thread, it got me thinking about who are the best players not to be All Australian? Thought it might be interesting to put together a 22.

The rules:
  • AFL era only as the Carnival, etc. era saw lots of quality players miss out, particularly when they were doing it several years apart.
  • No young guns aged 25 or under as they are likely on the path to winning AA - players like Cripps, B.Brown, Oliver, Neale, etc.
The team:

B: Kade Simpson, Simon Prestigiacomo, Ben Stratton
HB: Tyson Edwards, Mal Michael, John Worsfold
C: Steele Sidebottom, Joe Misiti, Callan Ward
HF: Peter Burgoyne, Scott Lucas, Taylor Walker
F: Daniel Bradshaw, John Longmire, Darren Bewick
R: Sam Jacobs, Brad Sewell, Nathan Jones
I: Daniel Wells, Isaac Smith, Jack Steven, Jeremy Howe

So, who did I miss? (thrown together quickly - surely there are players better than that bench?)
Hawthorn selections biased?
How would a team with no elite stars but plenty of next level talent fare? Premiers? Multiple flags? Fall short?
Finally, who are your top 3 players never to be AA?

Note: Tried to aim for a a fairly balanced side - bringing in the likes of Bewick instead of another taller player like Gunston/Darling, etc.

shuey a bit stiff compared to some in that team.

For a second I read that as best non Australians. That would be interesting: though I suspect the list of non Aussies is pretty short and is basically Irish players lol.

Tom Lonergan, Max Hudghton, Brent Guerra, Josh Hunt and Shannon Hurn are some defenders to consider.

Stef Martin has had some great seasons for a ruckman.

Tom Lonergan, Max Hudghton, Brent Guerra, Josh Hunt and Shannon Hurn are some defenders to consider.
I don't rate Josh Hunt at all - don't think he would be anywhere near that side.
Guerra is a personal favourite of mine (underrated in our good years) but similarly don't think he would be close.
Hurn is a good one (better career than Howe) and Lonergan could well replace Presti?

I don't rate Josh Hunt at all - don't think he would be anywhere near that side.
Guerra is a personal favourite of mine (underrated in our good years) but similarly don't think he would be close.
Hurn is a good one (better career than Howe) and Lonergan could well replace Presti?

I didn't much rate Hunt either until I read that Luke Breust considered him his toughest opponent. Must have been doing something right. Guerra was an incredibly reliable back pocket. Very good kick and a solid defender. I don't know if Lonergan would make the team but it's a name worth mentioning for others to think about.

Whestoff, Gunston, Edwards, Gibbs, Cunnington, Swallow, Merrett, Patful are some others.

Stef Martin has had some great seasons for a ruckman.
Max Hudghton, terrific inclusion. How he never won one is completely beyond me. Thought he was every bit as good as Rutten and Clement in 05 if not better. Always felt he was pretty damn underrated outside of the Saints.

Really Surprised Shannon Hurn hasn't been AA. I could have sworn he was at one point or another, definitely deserved to be. On the flip side, Josh Hunt was a GOP at best and probably stood out due to playing in a very good side. I would have been very surprised if he were AA.

Mark "shotgun" Williams

2004 - 33 goals
2005 - 63 goals
2006 - 60 goals
2008 - 43 goals

In every other season he played 13 games or less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a second I read that as best non Australians. That would be interesting: though I suspect the list of non Aussies is pretty short and is basically Irish players lol.

Not really. Depends how much you limit yourself. If you just go born overseas you still get players like Lumumba, Pyke, Cupido and more that I can't remember. If you went by parents' nationality you'd pick up plenty more.

Not only does Heath Grundy never get an AA nomination, not even in the squad let alone the final team, he doesn't even make the team of players who haven't ever made the team? Is there are a more underrated player around?

Should definitely be taking one of the key defensive positions.

Not really. Depends how much you limit yourself. If you just go born overseas you still get players like Lumumba, Pyke, Cupido and more that I can't remember. If you went by parents' nationality you'd pick up plenty more.

Further to this, here's a best 22 of non-Australians.

B Alipate Carlile -- Mal Michael -- Paul Vinar
HB Zach Tuohy -- Val Perovic -- Tadgh Kennelly
C Pearce Hanley -- Jose Romero -- Mil Hanna
HF Shane Savage -- Trent Croad -- David Rodan
F Clive Waterhouse -- Ian Perrie -- Stephen Lawrence
Fo Jim Stynes -- Alex Jesaulenko -- Wayne Schwass
IC Robbert Klomp, Mike Pyke, Jason Johannisen, Aaron Edwards

Further to this, here's a best 22 of non-Australians.

B Alipate Carlile -- Mal Michael -- Paul Vinar
HB Zach Tuohy -- Val Perovic -- Tadgh Kennelly
C Pearce Hanley -- Jose Romero -- Mil Hanna
HF Shane Savage -- Trent Croad -- David Rodan
F Clive Waterhouse -- Ian Perrie -- Stephen Lawrence
Fo Jim Stynes -- Alex Jesaulenko -- Wayne Schwass
IC Robbert Klomp, Mike Pyke, Jason Johannisen, Aaron Edwards
Marry Clarke’s debut year in 2007 alone gets him in.

Hard to go past Shane Woewodin for simply the novelty of being a Brownlow-winning non-AA player.
For a similar reason, I'd have to also include Coleman medalist Scott Cummings.
And let's not forget, every team needs a coach! Malcolm Blight's got a couple of Jock McHales but no All-Australian recognition.

Shaun was AA playing for Port.
Good call, had completely forgotten, 2005 off the top of my head. Had a couple games in a row where he ran through the middle and looked for all the world like he might be the second coming of Chris Judd. Never quite reached those heights but certainly has Juddy pegged for longevity..

Good call, had completely forgotten, 2005 off the top of my head. Had a couple games in a row where he ran through the middle and looked for all the world like he might be the second coming of Chris Judd. Never quite reached those heights but certainly has Juddy pegged for longevity..

Haha, I remember that. There was a huge article on him at the time comparing him to all the great midfielders in history. He was dominant for a period.

He didn't reach those heights again but he has still had a bloody good career which refuses to finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back