Pre-1965 behinds (goal-kicking)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've heard mention of this being collated from time to time and I believe the data is out there - I think the Age published behinds back to about 1930 - but I'm not sure where it's at.

I'd like to help gather data, but don't want to step on anyone's toes if they're already working on it.

The final goal would be to have it all uploaded to AFL Tables and AF.com.

Anyone up for it? Or already is?

I've heard mention of this being collated from time to time and I believe the data is out there - I think the Age published behinds back to about 1930 - but I'm not sure where it's at.

I'd like to help gather data, but don't want to step on anyone's toes if they're already working on it.

The final goal would be to have it all uploaded to AFL Tables and AF.com.

Anyone up for it? Or already is?
I'm pretty sure I posted this elsewhere, it was part of an email I received from the AFL's Col Hutchinson back in February:

"On another subject, I have been processing the goals and behinds scored by individual players match-by-match in the period spanning 1931-1964.
The following sources of data are being used:
The Age, Sporting Globe, Geelong Advertiser, The Record (Emerald Hill) and some hand-written records relating to Carlton matches.
Some club annual reports also contain such data.
Obviously, there are some gaps where such information was not published, but significant useful data is being accumulated.
The South Melbourne information is quite comprehensive.
Such match information for almost every Swans' season from 1931 onwards is available.
The exceptions are 1946-47-48.
It is likely that the local Footscray and Essendon newspapers published similar data during some of the relevant seasons."

I have no idea what Col H./the AFL stats folks plan on doing with this, but I really hope they pass on what they have found to the likes of AFL Tables and AustralianFootball.com.

I'm pretty sure I posted this elsewhere, it was part of an email I received from the AFL's Col Hutchinson back in February:

"On another subject, I have been processing the goals and behinds scored by individual players match-by-match in the period spanning 1931-1964.
The following sources of data are being used:
The Age, Sporting Globe, Geelong Advertiser, The Record (Emerald Hill) and some hand-written records relating to Carlton matches.
Some club annual reports also contain such data.
Obviously, there are some gaps where such information was not published, but significant useful data is being accumulated.
The South Melbourne information is quite comprehensive.
Such match information for almost every Swans' season from 1931 onwards is available.
The exceptions are 1946-47-48.
It is likely that the local Footscray and Essendon newspapers published similar data during some of the relevant seasons."

I have no idea what Col H./the AFL stats folks plan on doing with this, but I really hope they pass on what they have found to the likes of AFL Tables and AustralianFootball.com.

Cool, I do recall seeing that once before. I'll hold off.

Big old-school bump on this one. Does anyone have any updates on the completion of pre-1965 behinds tallies research? Feels like we've been talking about them being uploaded for 10 years. Thanks in advance!

35Daicos Oliver G rbartlett

Big old-school bump on this one. Does anyone have any updates on the completion of pre-1965 behinds tallies research? Feels like we've been talking about them being uploaded for 10 years. Thanks in advance!

35Daicos Oliver G rbartlett
I gave OliverG some Richmond years only a few weeks ago - and he was also going to reach out to Coll Hutchison to get the list he had done which was basically 1940s-1950s.

I'm working on pre 1940 years atm (very slowly) and trying to make each game as complete as possible. My understanding is that AF will be the site where all the info will sit (though its painfully slow atm waiting a server upgrade). I dont think AFLTables will take pre 1965 stuff unfortunately.

I gave OliverG some Richmond years only a few weeks ago - and he was also going to reach out to Coll Hutchison to get the list he had done which was basically 1940s-1950s.

I'm working on pre 1940 years atm (very slowly) and trying to make each game as complete as possible. My understanding is that AF will be the site where all the info will sit (though its painfully slow atm waiting a server upgrade). I dont think AFLTables will take pre 1965 stuff unfortunately.

Awesome. I'm okay with everything going to AF. It's already the most comprehensive site out there and will only keep getting better :)

Awesome. I'm okay with everything going to AF. It's already the most comprehensive site out there and will only keep getting better :)
Agree with that - however they just need to get the rebuild happening or the server updated cause at the moment it takes many minutes for pages just to load.

In the meantime I'll keep trying to parse the behinds for pre 1940 matches

Agree with that - however they just need to get the rebuild happening or the server updated cause at the moment it takes many minutes for pages just to load.

In the meantime I'll keep trying to parse the behinds for pre 1940 matches

I wiill be getting an update from Col this coming week regarding those pre-1965 behinds and will post the findings here.

The server issue is being worked on as I type. Our dev has identified what the bottleneck is and is working on a fix ahead of the full rebuild. So there should be a noticeable speed/efficiency increase in the next week.

I wiill be getting an update from Col this coming week regarding those pre-1965 behinds and will post the findings here.

The server issue is being worked on as I type. Our dev has identified what the bottleneck is and is working on a fix ahead of the full rebuild. So there should be a noticeable speed/efficiency increase in the next week.

Ah, well done. Looks like that fix you mention has kicked in...the site is loading quicker now.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back