No Free to Air game

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah Sunday arvo games are usually always FTA here in Melbourne. I was fully expecting it to but alas, I checked and it's not. I suspect it was cos of the Thursday night game. Channel 7 probably only has the rights to broadcast 3 games in each city.
I'm aware of that, but what does that have to do with my post?

Wow, i'm dumbfounded! Who makes this awful decisions?
I can only use the foxtel GO app on my phone, so can still watch the game. But was looking forward to settling in and watching it on the big screen from the couch. Farcical situation really. I feel awful for everyone who doesn't have access to foxtel.

Why is it rubbish? The AFL isn't a charity. Yeah, there used to be more games of FTA when Fox weren't heavily bidding on the rights to the game, now they are. It's pretty much just supply and demand.

Which then swings back round to the post you replied to - people expecting things for free just because that's the way it had been in the past.

I get the reasons behind it and it doesn't affect me directly but I think it makes a bit of a laugh out of the "people's game" claim the AFL likes to run with when they're making it more expensive and difficult for "the people" to watch. I feel for those who can't afford Foxtel and the like who now get a meagre 3 games a week to watch when just 10 years ago they had it much better. That probably makes me a bludger-loving commie to some but I just think it sucks a bit, even if I understand the financial reasons.

Foxtel is as cheap as $39 per month. You can cancel after season. $234 a year if you want AFL and lots of other sport.

AFL live pass is FREE to Telstra customers.

Otherwise its 100 bucks a season.

There will be fewer and fewer FTA games in the future so we all need to deal with the reality and save up whatever per week to see all the games.

With Telstra you just get it on your phone and you can't mirror it to the TV. Now I'm not suggesting anyone should do this but I'm sure some bright person will work out if you use another phone to video your phone and mirror that to your TV then...

I can only use the foxtel GO app on my phone, so can still watch the game. But was looking forward to settling in and watching it on the big screen from the couch. Farcical situation really. I feel awful for everyone who doesn't have access to foxtel.
Foxtel Go app works on my PC. It should be fine for you as well.

Foxtel Go app works on my PC. It should be fine for you as well.

I have a shitty mac that has some bug and always says I have no space available no matter what I delete to try and fix it. Tried the app on it before but no luck. Ah well,can swing by the parents and watch it or just enjoy it from my Samsung Galaxy lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am poor AF get paid fortnightly and pay is consistently gone after one week. I still pay for fox purely for AFL,NBA and sky racing. No excuses get your priorities straight.

Chromecast it to your TV.

With Telstra you just get it on your phone and you can't mirror it to the TV. Now I'm not suggesting anyone should do this but I'm sure some bright person will work out if you use another phone to video your phone and mirror that to your TV then...
It's easier than that on an Android. You can mirror with Smartview. You just have to set up the mirror before starting the stream.

I get that not everyone is well off but seriously $39 a month isn't really a lot if you are really into your footy. I bet most people who "can't afford it" spend at least $39 a WEEK on beer/smokes/fast food and all sorts of other s**t. And before people say I'm living in an ivory tower I'm a full time student, living out of home and paying for all my expenses myself and I still afford Foxtel.

The AFL wonder why interest in the game is dropping off when they put garbage games on FTA and then a blockbuster between top 4 teams is only on pay tv.

Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot.
When sporting leagues move their rights to Foxtel, that sport goes and dies a slow death.

They overestimate the amount of loyal fans vs the casual fan that catches a game since it's on TV.

If you're with Telstra just download kodi and add AFL video.

It works fine for me.. I have no issue streaming this on my PC. If you do it must be your internet. lol

^ This is the most up to date way of installing it..

If you update your kodi or a build you need to make sure you select normal install, as fresh would mean you have to install AFL video again.

Say thank you.

Last edited:
I get that not everyone is well off but seriously $39 a month isn't really a lot if you are really into your footy. I bet most people who "can't afford it" spend at least $39 a WEEK on beer/smokes/fast food and all sorts of other s**t. And before people say I'm living in an ivory tower I'm a full time student, living out of home and paying for all my expenses myself and I still afford Foxtel.

It’s more about kids - the under 16s. They’re a huge part of the AFL’s target market - many would the most important part - and don’t have a say whether there’s Foxtel in the house.

And it’s not like they can just go down to the pub.

People without hundreds of dollars to pay for TV subscription services don’t deserve football. What is it? A game for the people? Puh! I’d prefer the hoi polloi didn’t attend the games, let alone watch them on their televisioned screens!
Hundreds?

AFL pass is hundred bucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back