What are you Listening to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Doms son on guitar.

Nice one. Didn't mind that 'Rock And Roll Ain't Evil' EP of theirs.

The other guitarist is his nephew, Dion. Here's me and him (on lead guitar) together covering You Am I's Baby Clothes. I get bonus points for having my North scarf on my mic stand.

Top work, big_e.

Man, you WA musos are an incestuous lot.

And Dom is a freaking legend. Between The Stems, DM3, his various solo incarnations and what not, he's racked up a fairly massive (and massively impressive) body of work. Love the guy.

On the subject of post-Stems bands from WA, I'm a big fan of these guys, too.....

TOD you stole my fave Crooked Fingers song, "Twilight Creeps"!

Love it a lot.

Some fantastic guest backing vocal work from Sarah Shannon, lead singer of this early Sub Pop band....

Thumbs up to all incarnations of Eric Bachmann though, including this mesmeric gem...

Great album opener.

More from my second favourite band of all time....

Sorry. Got a bit carried away there. Archers tend to have that effect on me.

To the thread topic.

A bit of Gee Willickers McLennan....

(Girls from Club Hoy on guitar and backing vocals!)

....and a bit of left-wing Swedish punkitude....

....and last but not least, this absolutely killer album from 'Kurt & Courtney'.....

Nice one. Didn't mind that 'Rock And Roll Ain't Evil' EP of theirs.

Top work, big_e.

Man, you WA musos are an incestuous lot.

And Dom is a freaking legend. Between The Stems, DM3, his various solo incarnations and what not, he's racked up a fairly massive (and massively impressive) body of work. Love the guy.

On the subject of post-Stems bands from WA, I'm a big fan of these guys, too.....

I prefer collaborative.

It's actually a nice environment to be in, even for those on the fringes of it like me. I've been really fortunate as a trumpet-playing accountant to do some great things with some brilliant musicians - I could name drop until the cows come home - but the best bits are just sitting around before or after a show having a beer and a chat.

I prefer collaborative.

It's actually a nice environment to be in, even for those on the fringes of it like me. I've been really fortunate as a trumpet-playing accountant to do some great things with some brilliant musicians - I could name drop until the cows come home - but the best bits are just sitting around before or after a show having a beer and a chat.

Gotta hand it to you successionists, WA has had a healthy, vibrant, cross-pollinating scene since forever, and the list of bands from across your way that I have adored over the years is a long one. (A few, quick, off-the-top-of-my-head names that jump to mind....The Jackson Code, Stems/DM3/Someloves/Majestic Kelp/etc, Chevelles, Triffids, Chad's Tree, White Cross, Blackeyed Susans, Kim Salmon/Scientists/Surrealists, Turnstyle, The Bank Holidays, San Cisco, Flanders, Braving The Seabed, Drones, Radarmaker, Halogen, Carus Thompson, Mach Pelican, Jebs, Sodastream, Bluetile Lounge....oh, and of course Institut Polaire. Would have missed a bunch of others but my brain hurts now so I'll stop there.)

Also really like that branch of your big, happy, WA musical family that incorporates Schvendes, Adam Said Galore, Umpire, Mukaizake, and that lot. From memory Tucker B's might share a member or two with some of the aforementioned, as well.

Dig these guys quite a bit, too....

Excellent guitars on this coming from Bill Frisell and Greg Leisz. Worth seeing if they are touring.

Lucinda is aces. Nice one, andana.

(Nice work on the Chad's Tree clips before, too.)

But back to the thread's raison d'etre....

Gotta hand it to you successionists, WA has had a healthy, vibrant, cross-pollinating scene since forever, and the list of bands from across your way that I have adored over the years is a long one. (A few, quick, off-the-top-of-my-head names that jump to mind....The Jackson Code, Stems/DM3/Someloves/Majestic Kelp/etc, Chevelles, Triffids, Chad's Tree, White Cross, Blackeyed Susans, Kim Salmon/Scientists/Surrealists, Turnstyle, The Bank Holidays, San Cisco, Flanders, Braving The Seabed, Drones, Radarmaker, Halogen, Carus Thompson, Mach Pelican, Jebs, Sodastream, Bluetile Lounge....oh, and of course Institut Polaire. Would have missed a bunch of others but my brain hurts now so I'll stop there.)

Also really like that branch of your big, happy, WA musical family that incorporates Schvendes, Adam Said Galore, Umpire, Mukaizake, and that lot. From memory Tucker B's might share a member or two with some of the aforementioned, as well.

Dig these guys quite a bit, too....

First Perth band I loved was Flanders:

Anyone interested in the history of the Perth indie scene would do well to check out this segment on RTR: http://rtrfm.com.au/blog/category/the-land-that-time-forgot/ Done by a fella named Ross Chisholm, who must be 60-odd and who is always out at gigs and has been around RTR for decades. One of the bands I was in was featured in a segment and he was able to find out details that even we'd forgotten about or had wrong.

I saw these guys about 15-20 years ago at The Barwon Club, and was very impressed with their live set. Bought one of the CD's, hung out with the lads afterwards and had a few drinks. They drove all the way accross the country just to play a handfull of bookings in Melbourne. I was impressed by their dedication.

Don't know what happened to them afterward, but they were real. The singer was great live, serious pipes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First Perth band I loved was Flanders:

Yeah, those EP's of theirs were really cool. They eventually ended up on well-known emo label, Deep Elm, who rather than release anything new from the band, simply compiled 'Small Town Big Chip' and 'Mud And Five Ways To Serve It' on the one album for US audiences.

Big fan of this one....

Such an awesome song.

Several thumbs up for posting.

You're not the only one.

Brilliant song. Nice way to circumvent the whole 'temporarily abstaining from posting Superchunk clips' thing, too.

Bit of a spiritual companion piece (sentiment-wise) to the song you posted....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back