Analysis Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Six contested marks yesterday and now 4th in the comp for 2018. After he went ballistic in contested marks in the VFL in 2017 it was always the area he was likely to excel in.

I just watched the replay (again!) and picked up on this early in the first quarter. I think it beautifully highlights why Mason has developed at the pace he has, and why he continues to impress us week in week out. He is so incredibly hard on himself.
seafDlC.gif

The Berg tries to kick long to Mason from the middle of the centre square.
Mason's run up to the content gets blocked and it turns into a 3 on 1 contest which he loses due to no real fault of his own.
His head drops straight away, he shakes it, and generally looks annoyed at himself.

Most other forwards would just whinge it was a 3 on 1 or complain about the delivery but big Mason seems to immediately blame himself for not getting to that ball. I might be reading too much into it, but it's strong body language.

I just watched the replay (again!) and picked up on this early in the first quarter. I think it beautifully highlights why Mason has developed at the pace he has, and why he continues to impress us week in week out. He is so incredibly hard on himself.
seafDlC.gif

Mason's run up to the content gets blocked and it turns into a 3 on 1 contest which he loses due to no real fault of his own.
His head drops straight away, he shakes it, and generally looks annoyed at himself.

Most other forwards would just whinge it was a 3 on 1 or complain about the delivery but big Mason seems to immediately blame himself for not getting to that ball. I might be reading too much into it, but it's strong body language.
He’s always been like that, and it’s why I’ve never feared he wouldn’t get the most out of himself. That doesn’t mean I’ve always thought he’d be any good, but I knew he’d leave no stone unturned in his pursuit of having an AFL career.

seafDlC.gif

Also highlights why he is so important to our structures. Had he been able to get that ball to ground there were three pies circling for the crumb. If defences want to go three up against Cox it will provide JDG, WHE, Thomas, Stevo, Sidey etc with plenty of opportunities.

Cox will never be a good player. He can't lead, can't mark the ball, offers nothing on the ground. He needs the ball kicked directly to him to compete which is sinful in how the game is played these days. He is clearly scared of contact and that won't be coached out of him. AFL clubs experimenting with tall American's will be something we look back on and laugh at in 15 years.

I'm not having a go at your opinion HeavyPop, just wondering if your point of view has changed?

seafDlC.gif

I think his role in the team in that situation is not to mark it but to stop the opposition from marking it. He definitely could of spoilt that ball and that'd be one of the reasons why Bucks sprayed him at half time. Do love his attitude though, he deserves all the success he gets.

seafDlC.gif

That is the only time this season that Cox has been outmarked. I can live with one every 16 rounds.

Cox comes out of contract in 2020, along with JDG, Grundy, Schaz, Aish, Maynard, Pendles and some lesser lights who will hopefully be brighter lights by 2020 (C and T Brown, and Murphy).

Frightening.

If Cox continues on his current trajectory, he will have clubs throwing big dollars at him. How on earth are we gonna manage this?

Cox comes out of contract in 2020, along with JDG, Grundy, Schaz, Aish, Maynard, Pendles and some lesser lights who will hopefully be brighter lights by 2020 (C and T Brown, and Murphy).

Frightening.

If Cox continues on his current trajectory, he will have clubs throwing big dollars at him. How on earth are we gonna manage this?

From my view, with what we know about Mason and his family and the way he was raised I simply can’t see him leaving the club that has given him this opportunity. He is very well educated and will do quite well for himself post footy if he chooses to use his degree.

He is having a lot of fun with the Pies and I reckon he’d be happy to stick around and enjoy our success

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

From my view, with what we know about Mason and his family and the way he was raised I simply can’t see him leaving the club that has given him this opportunity. He is very well educated and will do quite well for himself post footy if he chooses to use his degree.

He is having a lot of fun with the Pies and I reckon he’d be happy to stick around and enjoy our success

I hope you are right, but Cox has an amazing opportunity to earn a lot in a short time from footy. In 2020, when he comes out of contract, he'll also be pushing 30 so you couldn't blame him if he chased the $$$.

Then again he turned down offers at the end of 2017 from, according to this article, Brisbane and several other teams. We dont know what they offered him, but the offers would be bigger now. He only managed 9 (?) senior games in 2017.

Anyway, he should have a flag (or two) when his next contract is up.:D

His tap down in a marking contest near the goal square was elite thinking, I think that was in the last quarter against the bombers. And he keeps doing things like that (the same kind of stuff J.Riewoldt gets raps for).

He comes across as a very intelligent player, and his growth from year to year has been huge. Once he gets his positioning for marking right he will be a huge asset going forward.

He's a winner full stop

Most underestimated him but to become 6th man as a walk on non scholership holder at a MAJOR college basket ball program is simply just not done and to contribute after no high level basketball exposure

The scary thing is in 4 years he's gonna understand this even better , becoming stronger

And more important he's teammates will too

Oh and ALREADY. Umpires call his game differently too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope you are right, but Cox has an amazing opportunity to earn a lot in a short time from footy. In 2020, when he comes out of contract, he'll also be pushing 30 so you couldn't blame him if he chased the $$$.

Then again he turned down offers at the end of 2017 from, according to this article, Brisbane and several other teams. We dont know what they offered him, but the offers would be bigger now. He only managed 9 (?) senior games in 2017.

Anyway, he should have a flag (or two) when his next contract is up.:D

Most guys are mercs

Not him

Loves the club and especially loves our social work
He ain't ever going anywhere

simple question.

You feel whinging about the umps achieves something don't let me stop you.

But is accentuating the pushes achieving anything other than losing that contest?

Assume you aren't aware of the stats only 4 free kicks in first 24 quarters
We had a chat and since the contacts been called that illegally disadvantages him

Still not getting ALL he deserves

Plenty of over the shoulder chops to come , plenty of illegal shepharding

Gonna laugh what he does against Richmond

Certainly wont be stuffing around with grigg like last game

Watch for Keating style clearances and deeper hitouts

That is the only time this season that Cox has been outmarked. I can live with one every 16 rounds.

As I was watching I was wondering when the last time that happened. Generally, if he doesn't mark then nobody does.

What impresses me are his 1 percenters:
Bloking/sheparding off defenders to allow team mates to run onto the ball
Deft taps in marking contests and ground ball contests
He always chases and he has surprising pace for his height

And all the above because he is an exceptionally quick thinker.

His first game on Anzac day 2 years ago was a glimpse of his potential and he has certainly now become best 22 and a major headache for the opposition.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2016-04-25/highlights-mason-coxs-debut

At first I thought it was just luck when he guided the ball down for the JDG sealer, but after watching it a few times - it was 100% deliberate and intended.

Which by the way, is just ******* amazing.
WAs wondering that myself but it did look lke a deliberate palm, but why wo0udnt' he have just taken the mark coz was basically uncontested at that point? Maybe assessed situation and figured that was a higher % option hwich is prob true given Degoey and the other player (Philips?) were running forward on either side. If true that's v impressive and a rare skill few players ever achieve. I guess his basketball ability coming into play.

Typical Media to have a @CollingwoodFC doing something and trying to stop it
No they're not - Eagles, Hawks, Tigers, Swans, Crows are some of the teams that could've done the same thing.
It worked out for us and they're talking about it because it was a success.
Take the compliment and move on.

Agree to disagree - in this case Mason was certainly being disadvantaged consistently and blatantly.
It often involves pushing oppo away from fall of the ball at the right moment, then falling back into the mark. But taht's hard when you are 1 on 2 or 3, then I guess do that to the gorilla defender and then rely on the other 2 being pins at the bowling alley.

Deft touch. Absolutely intended.

yes nwo I see it a few more times. Was in awkward position and could only stretch one hand to the footy so it was a great option brilliantly executed. rare skill. Great to see it getting recognition here because mroe or less passed unnoticed by commentators and media.
Was really more his goal than Degoey's actually.

Last edited:

Disagree.
He's grown up with the American culture of go where the money is.... I certainly wouldn't blame him.
He owes us nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back