Bluemour Discussion Thread IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was to leave next year, it would turn our rebuild on its head.
There would be absolutely no guarantee of multiple picks because he would be out of contract, so we wouldn't hold the upper hand in negotiations.
That's why I said we have to recruit some backup this year
1. It wouldn't turn the rebuild on its head. You are too 1 player focused.
2. No club tries to rip A grade players on the cheap anymore. We would receive 2 top 10 picks. Most likely a top 5 pick and a pick 8-10.

Heavens forbid he injures himself. Your world will come crashing down

I dont think you understand
1. Lloyd as a player
2. What he can add to our backline
3. Then inturn what he will create for our midfield

If we did get him i put money on it your tune would change. He is arguably in the top few most important sydney players. They are low balling him as their salary cap is jammed. If we got him (along with the return of doc and williamson) our defense would be hard to break. Doc and lloyd will help out our young backs also. The flow on effect would be tremendous.

Rules state the allocation of a PP is at the discretion of the AFL. They can give one to anyone for any reason at any time.

If we apply, they can use that to make a determination, doesn’t say that an application is mandatory.
So the AFL have given the wrong information to the Age and Herald Sun then.

As I have mentioned previously, and end of 1st round pick 19 easily becomes a mid to late 20's pick by the time academy kids get bid on and clubs receive compensation picks. I can think of at least two academy kids that will get bid on and one compo pick already making the pick 19 PP already down to pick 22 and that's before any other trade or FA move. Unless the PP comes straight after our first pick, it loses any real value a priority pick is supposed to have to help a club.
so lets get this straight, what you are saying is that bringing in Jake Lloyd (for example) is of no real value & wouldn't help us at all?
still waiting for an answer BrisbaneCFC .....

I did mate..but the mods merged the thread i started into another thread.

ahh bugger

I tried to sign it and it didn't work.

I intend to.

even if it was an end of 2nd round PP, SOS will make magic happen

still waiting for an answer BrisbaneCFC .....

Hey Harry

This was his answer to me a page ago. He didn't reply correctly so i will cut and paste for you

- A small defender who isn't really held accountable defensively as he is in the Swans system? Not sure that's what we need at all, regardless of whether I like him or want him.

Hey Harry

This was his answer to me a page ago. He didn't reply correctly so i will cut and paste for you

- A small defender who isn't really held accountable defensively as he is in the Swans system? Not sure that's what we need at all, regardless of whether I like him or want him.
Thanks mate, appreciate the effort, I would like a definitive answer from him thou...it’s a simple question and he should be able to answer it

Re the PP, there are many ways to skin that cat.
Why can’t the AFL award us pick 19 or 20 and require us to use it only to acquire a player in the age group we say we are deficient in, namely 24-27.
We should only propose that to the AFL in the submission for a PP if we are very confident that we will get someone of quality in that demographic.
So you must be Trevor?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ummmm we have the cap space.
And he is what we need
If we use cap space indiscriminately, it'll run out quickly. Probably before we make a play for A graders.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love Lloyd. However matching the reported $1M from GC would be irresponsible. Not enough bang for buck.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he wants to leave, so be it.
I want players at our club that want to be here.
He is a champion and if he left we would be well compensated.
Id prefer he stayed but i wont cry if he turns his back on us

You’re a tough cookie. If that happens I’ll be taking a week off work to mourn and there will be tears.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we use cap space indiscriminately, it'll run out quickly. Probably before we make a play for A graders.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love Lloyd. However matching the reported $1M from GC would be irresponsible. Not enough bang for buck.

He wont get that much money lol
Where is this reported?
FMD

I dont think you understand
1. Lloyd as a player
2. What he can add to our backline
3. Then inturn what he will create for our midfield

If we did get him i put money on it your tune would change. He is arguably in the top few most important sydney players. They are low balling him as their salary cap is jammed. If we got him (along with the return of doc and williamson) our defense would be hard to break. Doc and lloyd will help out our young backs also. The flow on effect would be tremendous.
I agree with you wholeheartedly, but the reported $1M is too much.

My thoughts on the PP situation are

1) The concept of Carlton asking for a PP at the start of the year was drawing a lot of negative press coverage and feedback from the public

2) The club comes out to say that they are not going to ask for a PP to circumvent this situation. Good publicity/look for the club (We are not looking for the easy way out/ handouts). If we improve we wouldn't qualify anyway.

3) The s**t has hit the fan even more. Growing injury list and other teams have improved. It looks unlikely that we will win again

4) The narrative in the media has now shifted from "Carlton shouldn't ask for a PP/ the AFL shouldn't give them one" to "Carlton need to apply for a PP". This is taking pressure off the club and onto the AFL.

5) if things keep on going as they are the external pressure will be on the AFL to seriously consider giving us a PP apposed to a negative narrative if we stated early that we would apply for one like other clubs did earlier in the season. If we win some games we wouldn't have qualified for one anyway so no harm no foul.

TLDR. Clearly stating that we wouldn't pursue a PP has shifted the pressure around the PP from the club and onto the AFL which has shifted the narrative around the PP from one making us less likely to be giving one to one making us more likely to be given one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back