Bluemour Discussion Thread IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think Gibbs, Henderson, Bell at least wanted out. Could also make an argument that Betts wanted out in the past 5 years. There was an offer on the table and he decided to go elsewhere. Believe it was approx 50k less a year we offered him (if i remember correctly) and he choose to leave. I maybe missing more names in that time who wanted out rather than sent packing.

I don't think players wanting out should make any difference anyway

Let's forget Betts for the time being as he was pre SOS and Bolts

2E was lowballed
Bell family reasons
Gibbs we could have played hardball, like the first year
Hendo, who really knows the reason

I doubt SOS went out of his way to retain any of them

Different circumstances to 5 young kids wanting out in the same year

Circumstances, shmircumstances.......the AFL criteria across a range of areas - academies, the draw, free agency compensation, priority picks are so compromised, so ropey as to be meaningless: it's all discretionary! - what needs to be conveyed to them is that Carlton's struggles mean supporters are dropping off permanently, leading to lower TV audiences, lower TV revenues (next time round) and a lower bonus for Gil. This last point will really cut through. Carlton has (had?) a massive latent support base that needs to be re-energised lest another generation of supporters is lost to the game. A healthy Carlton is good for the AFL. Ergo Gil gets more pay.

They should ban the priority pick

Let's forget Betts for the time being as he was pre SOS and Bolts

2E was lowballed
Bell family reasons
Gibbs we could have played hardball, like the first year
Hendo, who really knows the reason

I doubt SOS went out of his way to retain any of them

Different circumstances to 5 young kids wanting out in the same year
And the 10 game difference over the 5 years is also a different circumstance. There are many reasons why we are where we are. Its worth asking for. Do you see people losing their mind over Brisbane receiving 1 2 years ago?

If we could get a Lloyd/Brayshaw or someone with it, why not

'deserve' is an interesting word in this instance...
I'm personally not fussed either way.
If we ask for one or get one, I can see the reasons why.
If we don't ask or get one, than I can live with that also as we are seen to be resistant to the 'easy way out' of the bind we're in.
I have faith in what Bolton, SOS and co are doing...just don't want to look back and regret not taking an opportunity when it presents if we are still hovering around the bottom of the ladder in years to come.

I'll take it should it come our way...........but in somewhat of an embarrassed and sheepish manner.

I'm still glad we came out and said we won't be asking for one, even if that message wasn't completely up front.
Confident we'll see one but a petition pleading the club to head off to the AFL on behalf of them? Really? I don't know. All a bit weird to me.

I'd be asking for many more things from the club than for Liddle to set out on a trip to AFL House, with cap in hand.

'deserve' is an interesting word in this instance...
I'm personally not fussed either way.
If we ask for one or get one, I can see the reasons why.
If we don't ask or get one, than I can live with that also as we are seen to be resistant to the 'easy way out' of the bind we're in.
I have faith in what Bolton, SOS and co are doing...just don't want to look back and regret not taking an opportunity when it presents if we are still hovering around the bottom of the ladder in years to come.

I’m much the same as you in having faith in SOS and Bolts and the guys drafted in the last 3 years.

For me and the PP it’s about playing the probabilities to our advantage. Are we more likely to to recruit well having 3 picks in the top 30 or 4 picks in the top 30?

We’ve experienced more losses in 4 seasons than Brisbane did in the 4 years before they got their pick. I won’t have a guilty conscious if we get one.

I'll take it should it come our way...........but in somewhat of an embarrassing and sheepish manner.

I'm still glad we came out and said we won't be asking for one, even if that message wasn't completely up front.
Confident we'll see one but a petition pleading the club to head off to the AFL on behalf of them? Really? I don't know. All a bit weird to me.

I'd be asking for many more things from the club than for Liddle to set out on a trip to AFL House.
Im in the same boat as you. But there is no better case for one than where we are at.

Jake Lloyd on a promise of plenty of midfield minutes makes a heap of sense. Honestly, I reckon he could be better than Gaff in that regard.

Lloyd (Syd) for a priority pick (19), or the Dog's second (23) with some future pick swapping.
3 and 16 (GC) for 1.
Brayshaw (Mel) for 16.

Walsh or Rankine at 3.
Butters or Berry at 27.

Simpson, Marchbank, Plowman
Docherty, Weitering, Williamson
Lloyd, Brayshaw, Curnow
Kreuzer, Cripps, Fisher
Dow, Curnow, Rankine
Murphy, McKay, Pickett
I/C: O'Brien, SPS, Kennedy, Byrne
EMG: Lang, Cuningham, Silvagni/Macreadie, Garlett
100% spot on! unfortunately it's to good to come true...would be absolutely perfect thou

Only if they receive a submission from the club. This has been confirmed by both the Herald Sun and the Age

Are you sure about that?

Same, No way the AFL would tell a club they will not receive a PP when the season was not even half way through.

I posted the link weeks ago (AFL pdf. doc.) in here & the List Management thread.

It's at the AFL's discretion at the end of the season if they are to to give a Club a PP without a Club applying for one.

Forget what the HUN, Age and what the so called journos are saying.
They have no idea.

They should do their research and get their facts right.

I'll take it should it come our way...........but in somewhat of an embarrassed and sheepish manner.

I'd be asking for many more things from the club than for Liddle to set out on a trip to AFL House, with cap in hand.
Yeah I hear you loud and clear and agree.
I want what's best for the club despite the position we have been put in.
In one hand I can see the pros and cons and in the other hand the same.
The PP is designed for clubs in our current position - its shouldn't be ignored but it should only be considered once the season is over.
Due diligence.

Im in the same boat as you. But there is no better case for one than where we are at.

I look at it this way and here's our story:

1. We chose our own path with a clear plan afoot.
2. We've traded to advantage and have highlighted this many times over. e.g. Henderson for Mckay...Tuohy for Marchbank...Bell+ for CCurnow etc.
3. We'd stood firm on our vision and our methods and have for that reason re-appointed our coach
4. We're now rightly highlighting extensive injuries to our list as for the reason of our plight this year.
5. Players are signing on because they see what will open up for the club. All players are on-board.
6. We're selling that everyone is on the same page at the club and are pulling in the right direction.

Everything is fine and will be great...........but please...........Can we have a PP? :)

Mixed messages to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so, because the club could use it to help with a deal for Wallis or Dalhaus.........it does have a purpose when used for trading something in..........

I disagree hence my post. If it isn't after our first pick its basically pointless. As is the 200 pages of incessant whining about a PP over various threads. As for your players mentioned are we even looking at them?

I look at it this way and here's our story:

1. We chose our own path with a clear plan afoot.
2. We've traded to advantage and have highlighted this many times over. e.g. Henderson for Mckay...Tuohy for Marchbank...Bell+ for CCurnow etc.
3. We'd stood firm on our vision and our methods and have for that reason re-appointed our coach
4. We're now rightly highlighting extensive injuries to our list as for the reason of our plight this year.
5. Players are signing on because they see what will open up for the club. All players are on-board.
6. We're selling that everyone is on the same page at the club and are pulling in the right direction.

Everything is fine and will be great...........but please...........Can we have a PP? :)

Mixed messages to me.
In a way. Every single club that has received 1 has brought it on themselves, lets be honest.

We have gone the youth avenue but who is to say it will work out.

If melbourne can receive pick 3 for Frawley (which we all know was to fast track them when frawley didn't even command that much) then i have no issue with us asking the question

They should ban the priority pick
I use to think the same re the priority pick until they brought in FA that as its turned out severely favors the higher sides on the ladder .
With lower club players leaving for top clubs more often than not .
It is much easier for players to move clubs nowadays and FA makes it even harder for the lower clubs to keep their sides together .
Therefore i think that priority picks should actually be given out more to a strict set of standards that are way more transparent than the way its set up now .
Yes i know wishful thinking .

In a way. Every single club that has received 1 has brought it on themselves, lets be honest.

We have gone the youth avenue but who is to say it will work out.

If melbourne can receive pick 3 for Frawley (which we all know was to fast track them when frawley didn't even command that much) then i have no issue with us asking the question

I don't care about the past and I don't care about other clubs.

You have to ask yourself these questions:
Was it a universal decision for us to state mid-season that we won't be applying for a PP?
Have some got more to lose than others by asking for a PP? i.e. How does SOS look when we have to cry out for help?
How does the CEO (who's gone very quiet lately) retract his statement of not asking for a PP, to now be forced to have to do so.

Maybe none of those points are relevant, but you can see just how easily friction can come about and the CFC know about friction all too well.

Turning a PP into Lloyd would be awesome, give him whatever he wants to get him in- doesn't he also have talented brothers playing juniors?
I would also like to state something very clearly...
WE HAVE WON 1 ******* GAME! ANYTHING WE CAN GET TO HELP US IS A GOOD THING! & ANY CLUB THAT WINS 1 OR 2 GAMES IN A SEASON I SHOULD GET A PP... FFS its not rocket science

I don't care about the past and I don't care about other clubs.

You have to ask yourself these questions:
Was it a universal decision for us to state mid-season that we won't be applying for a PP?
Have some got more to lose than others by asking for a PP? i.e. How does SOS look when we have to cry out for help?
How does the CEO (who's gone very quiet lately) retract his statement of not asking for a PP, to now be forced to have to do so.

Maybe none of those points are relevant, but you can see just how easily friction can come about and the CFC know about friction all too well.
Completely understand both sides my good man so yes, i suppose we just accept whatever happens

I truly can't see the advantage of CFC propounding the high morel ground re administrative assistance.
Simply we need all the help we can let's be realistic.
The media will feast on us should we add another spoon to the cupboard anyway. I say we take what we can get.

What is Jake Lloyd worth in a trade? I'd love to have him, he's a ball magnet who is getting better with each game he plays. He's only dropped below 20 disposals once in his last 50 odd games.
The only question on Lloyd from Sydney supporters is that he's not an amazing defender. He gets a bit of a free reign at Sydney to run off and play an attacking brand of footy because he has great defenders around him. Saying that, I would love him especially since Doc, Willo and Plowman will be back next year.

Its not pointless.
And Dahlhous and Wallis are FAs

As I have mentioned previously, and end of 1st round pick 19 easily becomes a mid to late 20's pick by the time academy kids get bid on and clubs receive compensation picks. I can think of at least two academy kids that will get bid on and one compo pick already making the pick 19 PP already down to pick 22 and that's before any other trade or FA move. Unless the PP comes straight after our first pick, it loses any real value a priority pick is supposed to have to help a club.

For those of you who want a PP... here's a way you can express it to the club...
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/afl-special-assistance-for-the-carlton-footbal

Thank you for the kind offer but no thanks.

If members feel so strongly about it write to the club directly.

Im happy we didn't ask mid season and happier they arnt making any comments now. I was happy to hear MLG and I took his words about doing the right thing for the club to mean they will reconsider their PP decision at seasons end.

If we get one great if not then we stick to the rebuild.

I would not in any way fight the AFL about it - you never upset city hall.

Thank you for the kind offer but no thanks.

If members feel so strongly about it write to the club directly.

Im happy we didn't ask mid season and happier they arnt making any comments now. I was happy to hear MLG and I took his words about doing the right thing for the club to mean they will reconsider their PP decision at seasons end.

If we get one great if not then we stick to the rebuild.

I would not in any way fight the AFL about it - you never upset city hall.

You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back