List Mgmt. Tim Kelly remains a Cat for 2019

How long will Tim Kelly last at Geelong?

• He will return to WA in the 2018 trade period

• He will play at Geelong in 2019 but return to WA at end 2019

• He will sign a long term deal at Geelong

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't often hop in to this thread other than to read.

First off, I'll add my 2 bobs worth. What a player. He has it all. The fact he is at his best at the end of games puts him right up their with many of the big names over the years. If he can continue in this vein he will be top dozen competition mid.

Second the talk of Geelong offering an extension would be sound for player and club if Kelly signs now- as long as Geelong have "guaranteed" Tim that he will be traded home when he feels the need. This is normal transmission for Geelong anyway so that guarantee would be quite believable IMO.

The new contract would give Tim say 3 more years guaranteed pay (increased considerably) and removes the possiblility that serious injury (this year or next) will dampen his ongoing prospects. We have seen what injury can to do to the most promising young players at our club.

Geelong get an in contract player for three years meaning that a fair deal would be needed to release him.

Assuming he plateaus from here a top ten pick or a needed player (say Darcy from Freo or another quality developing Vic kid from WCE) would be fair in my opinion.

If he continues to improve (becomes top dozen competition mid/forward) that price would be a bit higher. Add to that above an early second rounder (to return the pick we invested in him)

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to think of a trade that doesn't ruin our B22.

Would 2 firsts do it?

2 late firsts in the 14-20 range nah.

Get us Gaff or a pick high enough to get us a King twin this year and we'll consider it.

Tim kelly can continue to talk about how much he loves geelong. Makes no difference. Its his partner that is the issue.

The Eagles ‘might’ get close enough (but not actually win it) to a Flag this year that their frustration at not drafting Kelly will be palpable. If I was them I would not even bring up his name. What a lost opportunity!
Eagles would be kicking themselves right now. Could cost them a flag

2 late firsts in the 14-20 range nah.

Get us Gaff or a pick high enough to get us a King twin this year and we'll consider it.

Pure ..if they offered two R1 picks.. I doubt we would knock it back ..even if they are late.
Perhaps we roll those into an earlier pick if we find a club that likes that option , or we look to trade with someone who has no R1 at all... and take their 2019 R1.. lets Melb.

I obviously have screamed for single figure picks and agree a King pick would be good.. but if we had our natural 2018 R1 pick and another 2018 R1... then trade another 2018 R1 for a 2019 R1.. it would give us a huge trade position to look at someone like 2mp next year. 2 R1 picks and no restriction trading our R1

Two teen picks while not as sweet as single figure picks , the result to our list may be good .. ..we may be able to get a Williams and someone like O'Halloran .. add Brownless and we are adding multiple Capts at lower levels and a long term tall to develop.. and have the chance to attack a in system tall next year.

It’d be a risk still because I think Kelly is going to continue to improve to be a star of the league. But two first round picks could really help Geelong short and long term. Maybe we trade one or just try to draft 4 quality players.

i don't often hop in to this thread other than to read.

First off, I'll add my 2 bobs worth. What a player. He has it all. The fact he is at his best at the end of games puts him right up their with many of the big names over the years. If he can continue in this vein he will be top dozen competition mid.

Second the talk of Geelong offering an extension would be sound for player and club if Kelly signs now- as long as Geelong have "guaranteed" Tim that he will be traded home when he feels the need. This is normal transmission for Geelong anyway so that guarantee would be quite believable IMO.

The new contract would give Tim say 3 more years guaranteed pay (increased considerably) and removes the possiblility that serious injury (this year or next) will dampen his ongoing prospects. We have seen what injury can to do to the most promising young players at our club.

Geelong get an in contract player for three years meaning that a fair deal would be needed to release him.

Assuming he plateaus from here a top ten pick or a needed player (say Darcy from Freo or another quality developing Vic kid from WCE) would be fair in my opinion.

If he continues to improve (becomes top dozen competition mid/forward) that price would be a bit higher. Add to that above an early second rounder (to return the pick we invested in him)

Why on earth would they gaurantee him a trade home when he wants to go. That would be stupid.

It's his birthday today. I hope everyone sent him a card :)

I believe Frank Costa did. I think he's getting forgetful in his old age though.

images

He forgot the actual card.

Pure ..if they offered two R1 picks.. I doubt we would knock it back ..even if they are late.
Perhaps we roll those into an earlier pick if we find a club that likes that option , or we look to trade with someone who has no R1 at all... and take their 2019 R1.. lets Melb.

I obviously have screamed for single figure picks and agree a King pick would be good.. but if we had our natural 2018 R1 pick and another 2018 R1... then trade another 2018 R1 for a 2019 R1.. it would give us a huge trade position to look at someone like 2mp next year. 2 R1 picks and no restriction trading our R1

Two teen picks while not as sweet as single figure picks , the result to our list may be good .. ..we may be able to get a Williams and someone like O'Halloran .. add Brownless and we are adding multiple Capts at lower levels and a long term tall to develop.. and have the chance to attack a in system tall next year.
Two first round picks would be enticing for a club to offload an early enough pick in the coming draft. We need one of the King's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two first round picks would be enticing for a club to offload an early enough pick in the coming draft. We need one of the King's.

ha ha why do we need one of the Kings. Every year there is absolute champion talls available in the top 10. The ones we are told we need to cut our arms off for. Patton, Boyd, McCartin, Schace, Weitering, Francis, Weideiman, Harry McKay, Marchbank, Wright, Moore, Plowman, Longer, Tomlinson, Sam Day, Goringe. Outside of Daniher who scraped in and was a father son I can't think of one since 2010!!

One King is coming off an ACL and its always a worry in the TAC Cup when they just dominate b/c they are twice the size of their opponents.

For me cluster picks under 25 work

I don't want 2 first round picks. I want Kelly. He plays great in the side, and the team loves him. It's a team game and he is a major plus in that. We could get two Billy Smedts. You get someone like Kelly, you fight to hold him. His missus will come around.

Yep.
One yes is better than two maybes.

ha ha why do we need one of the Kings. Every year there is absolute champion talls available in the top 10. The ones we are told we need to cut our arms off for. Patton, Boyd, McCartin, Schace, Weitering, Francis, Weideiman, Harry McKay, Marchbank, Wright, Moore, Plowman, Longer, Tomlinson, Sam Day, Goringe. Outside of Daniher who scraped in and was a father son I can't think of one since 2010!!

One King is coming off an ACL and its always a worry in the TAC Cup when they just dominate b/c they are twice the size of their opponents.

Joe Daniher would've went really high if he wasn't a father son but I do agree with what you're saying. It's been an overrated stretch of talls taken in recent years. They have time on their side still. Curnow the best taken recently without looking. Not a lot of others you'd sell the farm for though.

I don't want 2 first round picks. I want Kelly. He plays great in the side, and the team loves him. It's a team game and he is a major plus in that. We could get two Billy Smedts. You get someone like Kelly, you fight to hold him. His missus will come around.
Just to clarify ..if he requests a trade ..you just say no..suck it up?

You make a fair case ..but the fact is the best chance to get a Hawkins replacement is have the earliest choice in draft we can get..especially in a better draft.

The irony of looking at the success or lack of it .. of early picked players is that they mostly go to clubs that are poor clubs ..its why they have early picks.. and most agree that just as important as the players talent is the development. A few of the ones named have been disappointing , some have been unlucky and some the jury is still out its early... is there players you can think of that were missed or taken later that have been better than than these early picks? Sav looks promising for eg.

The Kings certainly have the rep and Max (the knee) has a ripper set of hands.. but even he is not perfect from the little I have seen. He will need work on kicking... so if we miss them or him there are others.

The one thing I agree with is the sentiment each year is heightened .. this kid is the ducks quack etc.. just pay what ever to get him. And this year is not different.. Lukosius is reputed to be the best for a decade , we have the Kings and there are a couple of others that will be there later.
And as usual someone will fail .. so I agree we dont dive into the stupid pool to just get a early pick.. but we do need to target early picks imo. Hawkins was a early pick in all bar number , we built our previous era on the foundation of early picks ..and its whats lacking on our list this time round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back