F1 has it lost the plot

Remove this Banner Ad

No it hasnt lost the plot. These things happen all the time....almost every race teammates will help each other out and contrive results etc. Has been going on for ages...it just was never as obvious as the Austria race.

Ahh...it's a team sport? I don't remember McLaren getting fined when Coulthard moved over at Australia 1998. Or when Hakkinen was gifted his first win by Senna.

The behaviour on the podium was wrong, no doubt about that, and maybe Ferrari could have disguised it better (like when Schumacher had 'brake problems' in 1999 and allowed Irvine past) but what would that have achieved?

Those halos look terrible.

What happened to the big bangers

No more Silverstone but a crappy boring Albert park

I don't think so.

Jesus, 16 year bump. The last post before today....

Was when F1 was still on Channel 9, Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso were up and coming rookies, Juan Manuel Fangio was still the most successful World Champion with 5 World Championships (Schumacher wouldn't tie it until 20 days later.) and Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen, Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button, Sebastian Vettel and Nico Rosberg had yet to win World Championships with 3 of those drivers not starting in F1 until 4-5 years later.

Also, I would highly debate that Team Orders to the magnitude of Austria 2002 is a lot worse than a Safety Device.

if it werent for Danny Ric my interest would be quite low. The racing just isnt a spectacle like it used to be.

Main reasons are much less overtaking, cars sound quiet, front 3 teams are too far in front of rest of the field.

Apart from quiet cars, has it ever really been very different? I'm only a casual fan but can't really ever remember a period where there were more than a handful of consistently competitive teams or when F1 was constant wheel-to-wheel action. I'd have said the current situation is pretty normal with the exception that in the past the competitive teams might've traded places a bit as to who was the best from season to season where it has largely been the same holding pattern for the past 4 or 5 seasons with Mercedes in front and Ferrari and Red Bull swapping who is second best.

well the overtaking is a massive problem because of the altered downforce the teams discovered which causes dirty turbulent air so the driver behind loses grip which was why DRS was invented. So getting the cars back to a more basic design would definitely support more overtaking which is the main gripe.

As for the aesthetics of F1 the sound and look of the cars is huge. F1 wont keep fans by being on the cutting edge of technology. We care more about the spectacle than anything else.

well the overtaking is a massive problem because of the altered downforce the teams discovered which causes dirty turbulent air so the driver behind loses grip which was why DRS was invented. So getting the cars back to a more basic design would definitely support more overtaking which is the main gripe.

As for the aesthetics of F1 the sound and look of the cars is huge. F1 wont keep fans by being on the cutting edge of technology. We care more about the spectacle than anything else.

By all means, let formula1 remain at the cutting-edge in various respects, just don't * around with the screaming sound from the pre-hybrid era and limit aerodynamics to a single-piece panel/part instead of what has led to these monstrosities.

How could they not understand that the screaming sound of a ridiculously high-revving engine is such a major attraction to a vast number of fans (and potential fans)???

You know, they could in theory still allow some sort of energy-recovery while leaving out the ******* TURBOS to limit rpm. Maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. Having the loudest engine noises isn't what makes F1, F1. It was unnecessary, and they didn't have the variation of sounds like the 3.5l engines did (at about 13,000rpm), so they weren't that good. It's just people were just used to them being like that and think that's how they're supposes to be. They're not.

They're louder than the v8s, and those things are considered loud, growling, snarly engines. It BS, people don't know what they're complaining about.

Nope. Having the loudest engine noises isn't what makes F1, F1. It was unnecessary, and they didn't have the variation of sounds like the 3.5l engines did (at about 13,000rpm), so they weren't that good. It's just people were just used to them being like that and think that's how they're supposes to be. They're not.

They're louder than the v8s, and those things are considered loud, growling, snarly engines. It BS, people don't know what they're complaining about.

Interesting perspective, you have. Each to their own, I should have said :):thumbsu:

I have heard a number of the the different engine sounds live. For me and many who I speak to (or whose comments I've read), it's not only about how many dB but also the pitch/sound quality that the higher revving NA engines made. Just a quick Google search and you'll see what I mean.

Now, I'm not saying the absolute highest revving engines were the best. The sound of the 1990 Ferrari 3.0 V12 was pretty special and nowhere near the highest revver or the loudest.

But today's engines? C'mon, even the F1 drivers complain.

Anyway, it will be very interesting to see what the new regs will produce in a couple of years.

Two things in life real men want to hear

Racing cars growl and women howl

Dodgy must be female

TBH watching live vs watching on TV are two different experiences for me. I only ever got to see the V8 era cars live (2012 Malaysia) and the roar of the engines coming down that main pit straight there was a once in a lifetime experience for me.

In saying that, I don't mind the "quieter" engines now when watching via TV coverage, as you can now actually hear brakes/tyres locking up, wheels losing grip etc over the engine noise. I just wish Sky etc did a few more laps with no commentary with their "Audio Up" mode.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back