Health Depression

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
you know what? i'm sitting here, just come home from work, almost in tears. don't know why, just sort of holding myself together and not letting myself get into a full-blown blubber. i dropped by dan's on the way home and grabbed a 6 pack of bundy and coke, dying to get into them but i can't yet.
i run every morning at 5.30 and go to the gym every night. i like to bookend the day with exercise, the run get's me through to the late afternoon with adrenaline and the gym session starts me up again and prevents me from dwelling on how sad I am until i go to bed and can sleep it off.
**** me, this helps. the high i get after coming back from a run, well, ****, you feel bulletproof! and coming home from the gym, especially after doing arms when you're swole as anything and you feel like the biggest bloke in the world. it's an awesome feeling.
try it mate

I know what the "sad" is.

The melancholy and you don't even know why your sad, , and you have thoughts that you go over and over with, and you battle that inside yourself.

Exercise it great, but I'm probably a lot older than you folks.

Being sad and down passes, it does!

Sometimes you manage it, that's life, some times you beat it, but when you learn to manage it it changes.

It's just that when you get that powerful down, talk to someone, anyone, or get on here, or the telephone but get outside and breath too!
Don't handle something you cop too strong by yourself ever , mix and talk and tell, and get help if its that bad

I did many years ago , my condition still sits with me sometimes, dirty damned thing, but when it is manageable you beat it.

It goes away, it does. Just remember that.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
Try Vit B12 IM - and a really strong B6.

Test results saying that you're not deficient in these essential vitamins are usually bullshit. I don't care how much meat you eat.

Magnesium spray is also great. I will post a recipe for magnesium and borax - yes, borax.

Lugols iodine is good as well as good old vitamin C - but a good one.

I found a cheap GABA supp online. It hasn't arrived yet - if it works out well I will post all the supps i bought. Sometimes the expensive ones aren't the good ones.

Aug 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, East Perth
I know what the "sad" is.

The melancholy and you don't even know why your sad, , and you have thoughts that you go over and over with, and you battle that inside yourself.

Exercise it great, but I'm probably a lot older than you folks.

Being sad and down passes, it does!

Sometimes you manage it, that's life, some times you beat it, but when you learn to manage it it changes.

It's just that when you get that powerful down, talk to someone, anyone, or get on here, or the telephone but get outside and breath too!
Don't handle something you cop too strong by yourself ever , mix and talk and tell, and get help if its that bad

I did many years ago , my condition still sits with me sometimes, dirty damned thing, but when it is manageable you beat it.

It goes away, it does. Just remember that.

Really great advice

I am exhausted and don't know what to do. Have been under a lot of stress lately and hitting the bottle hard. But there is no other way. How else do you conjure up the energy to get through a day? I am no longer capable of working anymore. Not sure I have it in me for 40 hr weeks. But have no choice as the alternative I can't handle anymore. Plus a bunch of other s**t I can't even begin to contemplate. I feel trapped because I am. Just feel sick and need a break but everything is just relentless and has been and always will be. Need to have some strategy to face it.

I've been exactly where you are right now.
You've taken the first step and admitted that there is something wrong, which is sometimes the hardest thing. If you need a break from it all, take it. It's not worth trying to push through.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Not depressed just a bit almost annoyed that nothing feels exciting anymore.

Going to the royal show when i was little or the first few footy games I went to type enjoyment.

Just gotta find something new and interesting i guess.

Im ok I just often wish I had the same enthusiasm for things.... guess thats life... u get used to stuff.

I did get excited going into Harvey Norman and seeing the monster TVs but then saw the prices and went "oh yeah... need money n stuff"

Rather use spare/saved money for travel

Thinking my best bet over the next few years is travel

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood

Going to the royal show when i was little or the first few footy games I went to type enjoyment.

Just gotta find something new and interesting i guess.

Im ok I just often wish I had the same enthusiasm for things.... guess thats life... u get used to stuff.

I did get excited going into Harvey Norman and seeing the monster TVs but then saw the prices and went "oh yeah... need money n stuff"

Rather use spare/saved money for travel

Thinking my best bet over the next few years is travel

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

yep, watch the first 20 or so seconds of this clip from Cheers, that's me.
No more tingles, things that used to get you excited as a kid. how good was that feeling?

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

Same here, only definitely depressed. I feel numb to everything, even in my early 30s, you feel like you've seen it all, heard it all before, new things just feels like old experiences re-done..

Even watching a sports game, it just feels like something you've watched before but not as exciting..

Work is just a revolving door of the same problems week in, week out.

Music culture is literally non-existent anymore. Globalisation and mass population, the roads are jammed everywhere you go.

Most of all, people seem more narcissistic and competitive, shallow than ever before.

The things you wanna do, are mostly dreams. Spending your time researching the solar system and tech or making music won't pay the bills. Heck, if you want to make music in the home-studio field, it's not good pay, unless you can create a song a day and get lucky.

Careers/jobs/whatever you want to call it are just the same days on repeat for years and years with increased pressure and responsibility, more pain. ...

I don't know how people do it.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I am exhausted and don't know what to do. Have been under a lot of stress lately and hitting the bottle hard. But there is no other way. How else do you conjure up the energy to get through a day? I am no longer capable of working anymore. Not sure I have it in me for 40 hr weeks. But have no choice as the alternative I can't handle anymore. Plus a bunch of other s**t I can't even begin to contemplate. I feel trapped because I am. Just feel sick and need a break but everything is just relentless and has been and always will be. Need to have some strategy to face it.

I agree about the drinking thing. Although controlled, it's a great way to destress if you have tried everything else. Going for a run helps for an hour, but then that burning depression just comes back pretty fast. 3-4 beers and you feel amazing for a couple of hours.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm losing interest in everything, but I am trying to keep up regular exercise. A part of that I think is not sleeping properly as of late. Gotta get an early one tonight. Have to force myself to finish my thesis, though. Plenty of time to finish it, I've done some of it, but the time will fly by if I have too many more of these days where I write nothing.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Walked out of my psychologists office mid-appointment today. Had been getting annoyed with what I felt was a lack of basic listening and understanding of what I was saying for a few weeks now, and despite my best efforts to explain that to them, nothing was changing. Normally I would've just sat there, mumbled out some answers and left feeling even worse than when I had gone in, but I just couldn't do it this time.

They sent a message after I left, with some nonsense about a wall of anger being the problem. I, ironically out of the anger that the message had created in me, sent back a message saying I wouldn't be back because I hadn't been listened to, blah, blah, blah.

No idea if I made the right call. I may be ****ed. But it did feel good to walk out of a room on my own accord that always seemed impossible to leave.

(Sorry, just wanted to vent somewhere)

Last edited:

Rooz90

All Australian
Mar 30, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Melbourne City
I’ve been feeling very agitated and sad lately too. I’m stuck at work with no support and continually get bombarded with direction and training. I sit in an office alone.

I feel so sad waking up each morning becoming robotic, that I just get up and do it. I don’t want to do it, I rather stay in bed and wake up when I’m ready.

I’ve never stood up for myself and I wouldn’t know how too. I just agree and nod to every barking order given to me.

I’ve had two jobs in twelve months because I haven’t been able to stand up for myself and defend my arguments.

I don’t know what to do, I’ve always been a confident person now I just dread confrontation and drama, I rather not come across it.

I fear this will consume me and I will not be able to hold down a job for long because I distance myself from drama hence why I get walked over.

Things come as a challenge for me, and I fear doing something wrong will just draw me more angst.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Walked out of my psychologists office mid-appointment today. Had been getting annoyed with what I felt was a lack of basic listening and understanding of what I was saying for a few weeks now, and despite my best efforts to explain that to them, nothing was changing. Normally I would've just sat there, mumbled out some answers and left feeling even worse than when I had gone in, but I just couldn't do it this time.

They sent a message after I left, with some nonsense about a wall of anger being the problem. I, ironically out of the anger that the message had created in me, sent back a message saying I wouldn't be back because I hadn't been listened to, blah, blah, blah.

No idea if I made the right call. I may be ******. But it did feel good to walk out of a room on my own accord that always seemed impossible to leave.

I have two psych degrees but don't feel cut out to be a good psych, because it'd be ironic for a guy like me who has a "wall of anger" and thinks life is a s**t show for everyone to varying degrees to 'help' anyone. Listening and empathy are the least mental health professionals can do, though. If you're not even getting that, then walking away sounds like the best option. I don't know what to tell you, mate, I think life is s**t, and although good, happy times will come and go, I feel like life is a lie. All you can do is tell yourself you're alright as a person, even if you aren't happy with your life. But, of course, I really have no idea who I'm talking to and am only taking a shot in the dark here.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’ve been feeling very agitated and sad lately too. I’m stuck at work with no support and continually get bombarded with direction and training. I sit in an office alone.

I feel so sad waking up each morning becoming robotic, that I just get up and do it. I don’t want to do it, I rather stay in bed and wake up when I’m ready.

I’ve never stood up for myself and I wouldn’t know how too. I just agree and nod to every barking order given to me.

I’ve had two jobs in twelve months because I haven’t been able to stand up for myself and defend my arguments.

I don’t know what to do, I’ve always been a confident person now I just dread confrontation and drama, I rather not come across it.

I fear this will consume me and I will not be able to hold down a job for long because I distance myself from drama hence why I get walked over.

Things come as a challenge for me, and I fear doing something wrong will just draw me more angst.

I'm sorry to hear that and am with you 100% on dreading confrontation and drama, but I think that standing up for yourself is essential as an adult and I think people will try to bully you out of it by depicting you as an a-hole for being assertive. Life is a drag, though, there's no magic pill that's going to make you enjoy it and you probably already know this. I believe we're in the midst of a philosophical crisis.

Rooz90

All Australian
Mar 30, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I'm sorry to hear that and am with you 100% on dreading confrontation and drama, but I think that standing up for yourself is essential as an adult and I think people will try to bully you out of it by depicting you as an a-hole for being assertive. Life is a drag, though, there's no magic pill that's going to make you enjoy it and you probably already know this. I believe we're in the midst of a philosophical crisis.

I agree, we do need to stand up for ourself, but so hard when your mind has been conditioned to sit there and take it, smile and nod and take it in.

I wish I was more confident and stronger to stand up and say

“I’m doing the best I can.. back off”

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood

first thing that came to mind, this is me 2-3 days a week
6xFv.gif

Rooz90

All Australian
Mar 30, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

come on oliver

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

No idea if I made the right call. I may be ******. But it did feel good to walk out of a room on my own accord that always seemed impossible to leave.

Hey mate. It’s difficult to find someone you can trust/feel comfortable talking to - especially if you feel they are not listening.
I would encourage you to approach another Psych.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree, vigorous exercise can be great for it, I've been doing yoga lately and it's terrific as well.
I do some exercise but too much and I get injured easily and exhausted. Just have to see out this contract at work (haven't saved enough which is stressing me as I don't know where my next job is or if I need to move get a new car etc). Just trying to do my best see how the footy turns out (nice distraction)
then have space to figure something out.

Find I can't multi task. Just too hard

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I do some exercise but too much and I get injured easily and exhausted. Just have to see out this contract at work (haven't saved enough which is stressing me as I don't know where my next job is or if I need to move get a new car etc). Just trying to do my best see how the footy turns out then have space to figure something out.

Find I can't multi task. Just too hard
Hang in there mate, I hope everything works out for you.

Some part of me thinks that that suicidal voice will always be in my head no matter how well things are going.
Everything can be going along nicely but then I will still have that voice in the back of my head that tells me I should jump off of the Westgate bridge.

But what I have noticed now is that voice isn't as loud anymore and it's more of a whisper than an overwhelming thought. I guess that's something that will always be there.

Back