Preview Changes and Preview v West Coast - PRELIM EDITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The way they reported it we don't really care much to keep him.
Don't understand this pov. We rushed him back for the finals with a broken arm, and yet we don't really rate him?

Darling or Kennedy would kick 14 on Smith.
They wouldn't be a direct opponent, but I don't think Smith has the footy IQ to play in a final. Say what you want about Tyson, but he plays his role in the way the coaches want. That's why Goodwin hasn't dropped him for months. Smith is a loose cannon who is just as likely to end up 100 metres from his man on the counter attack as he is to take a huge pack mark. Don't heck with a winning formula unless one of your real elite players becomes fit.

They wouldn't be a direct opponent, but I don't think Smith has the footy IQ to play in a final. Say what you want about Tyson, but he plays his role in the way the coaches want. That's why Goodwin hasn't dropped him for months. Smith is a loose cannon who is just as likely to end up 100 metres from his man on the counter attack as he is to take a huge pack mark. Don't **** with a winning formula unless one of your real elite players becomes fit.
He doesn’t. And I agree, leave it. Tyson wasn’t awful.

Well we didn’t really rate him anyway. He isn’t in best 22 next year with Lever back. Lever & Hogan push two out, he is one. Don’t know about the other. Don’t know where the **** we play hogan...
I agree, but how often do you get your best 18 players all together, let alone 22?

If I had everyone in form and fully fit, this is the team I'd name rd 1 next year.

FB: Jetta, McDonald, Lever
HB: Salem, Frost, Hibberd
C: Hogan, Brayshaw, Fritsch
HF: Petracca, Weideman, Melksham
FF: Spargo, McDonald, ANB
R: Gawn, Oliver, Viney
IC: Jones, Lewis, Hunt, Harmes

That leaves Tyson, vandenBerg, Hannan, Kent, Stretch and Garlett all out in the cold. But then Lever, Hibberd, Hogan, McDonald, Viney, Hunt have all spent time on the sidelines with injury this year. I think the idea of a best 22 is antiquated, you should have a group of 15-18 that are locked in and a few spots that are up for grabs for the best trainers and the best VFL players. In the team I've just named, I'd say Frost, Weideman, Fritsch, Spargo, ANB and Hunt would be the guys that could easily roll out to accomodate the next six if they lost form for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Well we didn’t really rate him anyway. He isn’t in best 22 next year with Lever back. Lever & Hogan push two out, he is one. Don’t know about the other. Don’t know where the **** we play hogan...

We really should have given Hogan Moreno time in the defensive half when he was in the VFL.

I’m not suggesting we play him in defense, but surely next year he goes onto the ball or even behind it more often.

We are already in need of foot speed in the forward half and I just don’t see us being able to have all 3 of them in the forward line all year.

I agree, but how often do you get your best 18 players all together, let alone 22?

If I had everyone in form and fully fit, this is the team I'd name rd 1 next year.

That leaves Tyson, vandenBerg, Hannan, Kent, Stretch and Garlett all out in the cold. But then Lever, Hibberd, Hogan, McDonald, Viney, Hunt have all spent time on the sidelines with injury this year. I think the idea of a best 22 is antiquated, you should have a group of 15-18 that are locked in and a few spots that are upto grabs for the best trainers and the best VFL players. In the team I've just named, I'd say Frost, Weideman, Fritsch, Spargo, ANB and Hunt would be the guys that could easily roll out to accomodate the next six if they lost form for a few weeks.

One or 2 minor ones I’d change - but I like it.

We have a seriously deep list on paper.

That leaves Tyson, vandenBerg, Hannan, Kent, Stretch and Garlett all out in the cold. But then Lever, Hibberd, Hogan, McDonald, Viney, Hunt have all spent time on the sidelines with injury this year. I think the idea of a best 22 is antiquated, you should have a group of 15-18 that are locked in and a few spots that are up for grabs for the best trainers and the best VFL players. In the team I've just named, I'd say Frost, Weideman, Fritsch, Spargo, ANB and Hunt would be the guys that could easily roll out to accomodate the next six if they lost form for a few weeks.
Lewis out for AVB or Hannan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said Smith a possibility?
Here is my original post:
Not fussed either way but if we are going to drop someone it would be Tyson. One option might be Fritch plays on the wing & Joel Smith goes into defence.
Didn't say anything about Smith playing on their key forwards.

No change.

Difference between last round and next week if no change.

In Viney
Out Kent

If you want to know the West Coast team between last round and next week if no change.

In Kennedy
Out Ah Chee

Comments?

Can't wait to next Saturday, though not being at the ground like the last two weeks will be a bit different, that atmosphere was becoming addictive

I like Jimmy Bartel, and again he's spot on
Jimmy Bartel has urged Melbourne not to get sucked into a similar game style that saw them lose to Sydney in Round 21.

Ahead of their preliminary final against West Coast next Saturday afternoon, the Geelong great told Sunday Sport Melbourne should “not fall into the trap” of kicking the ball long.

“They need to be careful not to blast the ball forward,” he said.

“You still need to have your composure (over in Perth) – what may feel like a risky option like taking a kick on that 45 (degree angle) or that little release handball is actually a very predictable option.

“It may seem risky, but it’s not.”
I think he's right, and while we've won two finals, i am worried about these high balls we bomb in, we don't seem as composed going inside 50 then when we last played WCE. That said we've still done it, just not at the same level prior to the finals.

The bombs did not work at all in the 2nd term against Hawthron, we repeatedly gave them the ball back and then they played their game style from there. We know how to beat West Coast, and we need to do almost exactly what we did last time.

Other than that, the Marking power of WCE up forward concerns me more this time around

No change.

Difference between last round and next week if no change.

In Viney
Out Kent

If you want to know the West Coast team between last round and next week if no change.

In Kennedy
Out Ah Chee

Comments?
Darling lasted 5 mins so they were a man down all game. Mcgoveen played quite a bit forward as well. Melksham playing a defensive role on him this week should be the plan. Sheppard also our probably replaced by Schofield. That’s a Win for us. Don’t think the changes make alot of difference. It will come down to Max and our midfield dominating for us to win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back