Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 2 (cont. in Part 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i also heard that caller. What irked me was Gerard's lack of response; dismissive and arrogant in it is scarcity. Since arriving at SEN, Gerrard appears to have approached his time slot as if the simple rawness and passion of the average sports listener is somehow ignorant of some deep enlightenment he is pursuing. its no wonder that time slot is the worst performing time slot on SEN. Its not the ABC, he needs to better engage with his audience, not merely present to it. i rarely listen to him, and refuse to download his podcasts, he bores me to tears.
Heard that as well.
Whately was dumbfounded and had no comeback.
That caller deserves a Gold Star, and a piece of cake!

He's got many problems. Takes himself way too seriously, and yet is appallingly inconsistent and like a terrified bunny when someone like Bucks pushes back. SEN really needs to get someone like Sam Pang on there to balance him out. Someone funny (Gerard has no real sense of humour) but also smart enough to call him out and create a little tension (not Robbo).
Hi Sam. I think you're good value :D

i also heard that caller. What irked me was Gerard's lack of response; dismissive and arrogant in it is scarcity. Since arriving at SEN, Gerrard appears to have approached his time slot as if the simple rawness and passion of the average sports listener is somehow ignorant of some deep enlightenment he is pursuing. its no wonder that time slot is the worst performing time slot on SEN. Its not the ABC, he needs to better engage with his audience, not merely present to it. i rarely listen to him, and refuse to download his podcasts, he bores me to tears.
I made the necessary move to am radio today when my beloved pbs continued to shove vomit jazz & hip-hop (toad music) at me incessantly - heard the bloke give whately a nice old spray - his comeback was something like "good on yer" - went on to defend geelong's home ground advantage with some lame comment ie. they've had less home games than any other victorian team.................I mean, seriously? what part of virtually unbeatable at our government funded boutique dungheap because 80% of our games there are against s**t teams doesn't he get?

I made the necessary move to am radio today when my beloved pbs continued to shove vomit jazz & hip-hop (toad music) at me incessantly - heard the bloke give whately a nice old spray - his comeback was something like "good on yer" - went on to defend geelong's home ground advantage with some lame comment ie. they've had less home games than any other victorian team.................I mean, seriously? what part of virtually unbeatable at our government funded boutique dungheap because 80% of our games there are against s**t teams doesn't he get?

Try FBI in Sydney thy .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

https://www.pbsfm.org.au/program-archive

They archive all the shows. Listen ‘on demand’ to the shows you want to hear, the genres that interest you.

Skip the hip hop and go straight for ‘Fang It!’ or ‘Soulgroove 66’ or ‘Bluejuice’ or ‘5ft high & rising’ or ‘Sunglasses after dark’ or ‘Nighthawks at the diner’ or ‘Metal genesis’ or ‘the piano has been drinking’ or whatever it is that you old marsupials get down too...

Ps 2 the names of two of those shows are Tom Waits references...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

you have to take what you get when in the car - I subscribe to soultime (patron) wednesday is the best day of the week for me - maltshop hop, jumping the blues, soultime, afterglow etc........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And an extra early pick can still achieve that end game by helping to facilitate a trade for an experienced, mature player

In the end it's just a valuable commodity, there are options with how it can be used

Again thanks for nothing lousy AFL campaigners

Article on SEN by Nic Negropontis - a pretty well-reasoned argument in support of the AFL decision. Makes a lot of the same points many of the posters here have made.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09...t-call-in-not-giving-carlton-a-priority-pick/

This was a very good article. A few notes:

"If they can't make this crop of players work going forward, it's a failure of development and coaching, not of personnel." - 100% bang on. If we can't develop and coach these talented kids then I really can't see how the club will find a way out of this whole in the next decade.

"The two clubs will supposedly be able to recruit, or on-trade, one state-league player of their choosing. Don’t be surprised if they're given two or three players. Carlton getting this assistance is more than sufficient for the predicament they find themselves in."

I disagree with Nic's take here. The PP would be used, most likely, as a a trade asset for a mature age player and a player that would, most likely, be a lot more talented than anything floating around the state leagues. Even the best mature age players that have been drafted over the years would not help our club in a way in which the likes of some of the bigger fish that we are targeting (and are mature aged players) will.

Sure there are a few diamonds in the rough, but at the end of the day there was a reason that these guys weren't drafted / were delisted and if we think that having access to them will turn this club around then someone's smoking something that I'd like to have a draw of.

"Vomit jazz"... "toad music"... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Made my morning. Cheers mate! :thumbsu:

Article on SEN by Nic Negropontis - a pretty well-reasoned argument in support of the AFL decision. Makes a lot of the same points many of the posters here have made.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09...t-call-in-not-giving-carlton-a-priority-pick/
Fair article. Look the reality is if it was not for us being behind Gold Coast pick 19 would have been best case scenario. If we get two mature picks that could be worth two pickscks around the 30-35 mark so not that different.

Fair article. Look the reality is if it was not for us being behind Gold Coast pick 19 would have been best case scenario. If we get two mature picks that could be worth two pickscks around the 30-35 mark so not that different.
Is Rogers still a recruiter? Maybe he's looking to give up pick ~19 for a mature age skinny outside winger

Yeah, I'm happy with that article and was never that fussed about getting a PP anyway. Sure it would have been handy, but we don't NEED it.
I was fine with every point Nic made, up until the last line of the article...
The AFL may want to have a second think about not giving Gold Coast a helping hand, though.

And he was doing so well up to that point. :rolleyes:

Anyone know who he barracks for? I know it shouldn't matter, but it almost always does with these opinion pieces. The 'reasoned' article on the Age a few weeks back came from a Collingwood supporter. Made lots of good points, but still missed the point. Interesting that the captain of his club came on the back of a priority pick (which apparently never solves anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back