Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually don't think he is in competition with Maj, when he comes in you'd think he'll be playing a more traditional KPD role as opposed to the floating intercept marker. He's in direct competition with Taz and Thommo, hence no games.

In regards to Maj's role next year reckon we'd be stupid to move him from his current position. The onus will be on Mase and a fit Garns to replicate W80s marking prowess and movement around the ground. There's some pretty clear logic from our list managment team this offseason- having Higgo/Polec/Hall/Gaff delivering the ball inside 50 will allow us to play a smaller forward line rather than bombing it in long.

B: Williams, Tarrant, EVW
HB: Polec, Daw, JMac/Wright
C: Gaff, Cunnington, Hall
HF: Garner, Wood, Anderson
F: Simpkin, Brown, Ziebell
R: Goldstein, Jacobs, Higgins
Int: LDU, McDonald, Dumont, Ahern, Thompson, Walker, Thomas, Murphy

That team is actually insane :fire:

B: Williams, Tarrant, EVW
HB: Polec, Daw, JMac/Wright
C: Gaff, Cunnington, Hall
HF: Garner, Wood, Anderson
F: Simpkin, Brown, Ziebell
R: Goldstein, Jacobs, Higgins
Int: LDU, McDonald, Dumont, Ahern, Thompson, Walker, Thomas, Murphy
So, in a thread dedicated to (the wholemeal or 9 grain version of) BMac he isn't even in a hypothetical side that features one of his chief competitors for a spot, Scott Thompson, on an 8 man bench and has three blokes not even on our list (yet.)

Tough. No wonder the bloke's sounding a bit surly. Sourdough McKay?

So what to do with McKay next year?

It’s obvious from his output at VFL level that he is ready for consistent AFL football. The question is where does he fit in? We have a glaring hole at CHF that needs to be filled so should he be training there during the pre-season?

Does he take Thompson’s position at CHB? Would that make us too tall with Daw, Taz and EVW in the backline?

Do we swing Daw or Taz forward to give McKay the oppurtunity to make a key defensive post his own?

Interesting times ahead for our starting spine in 2019.

So what to do with McKay next year?

It’s obvious from his output at VFL level that he is ready for consistent AFL football. The question is where does he fit in? We have a glaring hole at CHF that needs to be filled so should he be training there during the pre-season?

Does he take Thompson’s position at CHB? Would that make us too tall with Daw, Taz and EVW in the backline?

Do we swing Daw or Taz forward to give McKay the oppurtunity to make a key defensive post his own?

Interesting times ahead for our starting spine in 2019.
Tarrant, Thompson, Daw, EVW and now potentially Finlayson are all 190cm plus key defenders. Murphy (189) and Watson (194) waiting in the wings as well. I think for his own development as much as our list needs he (and Durds if he stays) have to be earmarked as key forwards this year, because neither will be getting a gig in front of those names.

he's gone if he's not played regularly next year. now that we're into Finlayson i wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade now - if i were him i'd be furious at hearing that.

His interview after his meeting with the coaches didn't seem too positive either.

he's gone if he's not played regularly next year. now that we're into Finlayson i wouldn't be surprised if he asks for a trade now - if i were him i'd be furious at hearing that.

His interview after his meeting with the coaches didn't seem too positive either.

Finlayson (if he comes across) is in competition with EVW, Thompson and Jmac rather than Taz & Daw.

Finlayson (if he comes across) is in competition with EVW, Thompson and Jmac rather than Taz & Daw.
tbh i've never seen much of him - but he's 196cm! you think we can fit Mckay, finlayson, taz and thompson in the same backline? and that's assuming maj is pushed forward (then that creates a problem with larkey, how will he ever find a spot)

I wouldn't be in a rush to send Maj forward. He was fantastic as a defender this year.
Honestly, it's one of the more baffling suggestions that's been made by a few people on here recently.

We've just got him playing the best footy of his career. Why would we now move him to a position where he's struggled in the past?

tbh i've never seen much of him - but he's 196cm! you think we can fit Mckay, finlayson, taz and thompson in the same backline? and that's assuming maj is pushed forward (then that creates a problem with larkey, how will he ever find a spot)

Disregard his height. He is more suited to playing as a rebounding defender. Its where he has played his best footy.

I don't think we can fit all of those players in the same backline, that's why I'm curious to see how we can get them all playing so we don't lose anyone in the future (Particularly McKay.)

Honestly, it's one of the more baffling suggestions that's been made by a few people on here recently.

We've just got him playing the best footy of his career. Why would we now move him to a position where he's struggled in the past?
I think you're missing the point of the suggestion - good, bad or indifferent.

I read it as 'Now that we've finally got him to see the sort of impact he can have and he's got some continuity and confidence, it may be possible to piggy-back on that very confidence to re-try him up forward if that's the more pressing team need, for he certainly has the capability.' In short, past struggles may, well, be in the past.

That's not necessarily meant to imply that continuing to play down back may not be his best position or that moving him forward again may not be without its risks.

I'm not advocating for either, by the way, but I can see the logic.

I would be hoping that BMac is first choice and that Thommo plays the back-up role next year. I don't see Thompson going round again in 2020 so we need to start getting games into BMac.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're missing the point of the suggestion - good, bad or indifferent.

I read it as 'Now that we've finally got him to see the sort of impact he can have and he's got some continuity and confidence, it may be possible to piggy-back on that very confidence to re-try him up forward if that's the more pressing team need, for he certainly has the capability.' In short, past struggles may, well, be in the past.

That's not necessarily meant to imply that continuing to play down back may not be his best position or that moving him forward again may not be without its risks.

I'm not advocating for either, by the way, but I can see the logic.

100% correct. He looked comfortable back, forward and in the ruck. The move back has unlocked the belief but I actually feel that opposition sides will dull his influence next year in defence. Plus, i have zero faith in Wood as a 2nd tall and we need a strong mark as a foil. McKays game sense is more attractive to me in defence at this stage.

If we do get finlayson - is there any possibility of McKay playing forward? Or has this already been trialled and he is best suited back?

If we do get finlayson - is there any possibility of McKay playing forward? Or has this already been trialled and he is best suited back?
What if the club sees Finlayson playing forward in a Waite type role?...

I reckon Benny and Maj should form a tag team partnership, swapping between back and forward, with a bit of pinch hitting in the ruck as required. Will cause match up headaches for opposition for sure.

Kind of agree. I’d start McKay forward for the preseason and first few rounds. If it’s not working move him down back and bring Maj forward.

051118_G1.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back