Food delivery apps

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Do you use them? What do you think of it?

I do sometimes, but I'm lucky to live a short walk from a pretty big shopping strip with lots of options.

Last night I went round to my local fish n chip shop. I was the only one in there except for the steady stream of delivery drivers/riders. Every single one of them - 100% of them - was young and of Asian or sub-continental appearance, which only increases my suspicion that they're probably mostly international students who are working part-time for s**t pay and struggling to make ends meet.

So chatting to the shop owner. He said they're on seven different platforms - Uber Eats, Foodora, Deliveroo, Menu Log etc - and that you'd basically be broke without them. Nobody comes in. He said around 60% of his total business is now through the delivery apps, and many busy nights it's up to 80%.

They take 30% of the order total from the shop in addition to the delivery fee ($5 on Uber Eats I think) they get from the customer.

It really does rival Chrisco as an absolute pisstake of a business model. No stock, no actual product. Just transport. Employ very few people directly, put all the drivers on ABNs specifically to dodge paying them a legal wage. Get paid by both parties, and hold onto the money from the customer - he said he gets paid in 14 day blocks, 4 days after the fortnight ends. So he makes a meal, the customer pays, and Uber gives him the cash up to 18 days later. Interest $$$

What a scam. The way government works, they'll make them start paying proper wages in about a decade's time.

They take 30% of the order total from the shop in addition to the delivery fee ($5 on Uber Eats I think) they get from the customer.

30% plus the delivery fee is a huge whack out of your profit, then not to be paid for fourteen days. I used to have dibbs in a pizza restaurant fish n chips which was geared more to take away/deliveries I wouldn't use those apps. They must be paying their staff peanuts.

30% plus the delivery fee is a huge whack out of your profit, then not to be paid for fourteen days. I used to have dibbs in a pizza restaurant fish n chips which was geared more to take away/deliveries I wouldn't use those apps. They must be paying their staff peanuts.

In Melbourne at least, there's actually been a couple of food outlets set up without a shopfront, purely producing food for delivery apps.

If current trends continue, this would be the future - fewer and fewer lower-end restaurants having shopfronts / dining facilities. People simply aren't leaving home.

In Melbourne at least, there's actually been a couple of food outlets set up without a shopfront, purely producing food for delivery apps.

If current trends continue, this would be the future - fewer and fewer lower-end restaurants having shopfronts / dining facilities. People simply aren't leaving home.

The only way I'd do it using apps would be if I had a kitchen somewhere out of the way where I wasn't paying huge rent for the exposure of a shop front. I can see problems with council inspections and regulation in those circumstances, they're slack as it is.

Its awesome. Buy shitty microwave meals from Coles , heat em up, get uber to deliver them. No overheads.
$$$$Profit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mate had like 150 orders in a year or so from uber eats. I think he said 80-90 of those were from McDonald's. He'd probably be a 2-3 min drive from there.

Hes in pretty good shape as well, just has lots of money and is lazy.

Must not enjoy food. With the variety out there for decent food via uber eats, choosing Maccas is one of the worst decisions he could make.

Just watched recently a doco on food couriers being attacked in London.

Disgusting that those that take up minimum wage jobs to support a family and trying to lead an honest life, are subjected to this by street thugs.

In Australia at least, they’re not even paid minimum wage. They’re paid an illegally low rate.

How on earth it’s allowed, I have no idea. Where the * are the unions.

Only time I've ever used one was a few months ago, at a get together around a mate's place. We ordered Mackers, which is probably about a two minute drive from his place, and I reckon it took at least 45 mins to get to us.

Not a fan.

Some food really doesn’t travel well for delivery either. I mean, if you’re grabbing it and taking it straight home, ok, but there’s often long delivery times with these apps due to the use of bikes / operators not knowing where the * they’re going / picking up multiple orders etc.

Pizza is generally ok, as is Asian food in sealed containers etc. But burgers and fish and chips etc? Be prepared for a very cold, soggy, sweaty feed.

People are so lazy with ubereats. We had someone order just a 600ml coke from us. It cost them $10.95. For a 600ml coke. We accepted the order just because of the sheer stupidity of it.

Has anyone used Hello Fresh?

Some food really doesn’t travel well for delivery either. I mean, if you’re grabbing it and taking it straight home, ok, but there’s often long delivery times with these apps due to the use of bikes / operators not knowing where the **** they’re going / picking up multiple orders etc.

Pizza is generally ok, as is Asian food in sealed containers etc. But burgers and fish and chips etc? Be prepared for a very cold, soggy, sweaty feed.
My favourite cuisine is Spanish.

Amazing fresh in a restaurant, but it's not the sort of tucker that generally travels well; I've never tried getting Spanish takeaway and probably never will for that reason.

It's a massive whack, but they cover it by passing on the cost to the consumer; ordering anything through Uber is always more expensive than getting it in the restaurant.

Of course Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Average probably put that down to it being a delivery fee though, when in reality it's the restaurant trying to prevent themselves being gauged too severely by the food app.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back