Opinion Vent & Offtopic

gcsunsfc

Oct 24, 2012
Gold Coast
Milwaukee Bucks
1 grand for 51,000 ummm tempting eventhough I am not a gambling person .

Ha, you got a spare 1K you willing to lose?

I wish I could find somewhere to bet against us having the lowest wins.
$1.50 odds on favourite to finish last.
I'd take $2.40 that we don't

Mini GF

May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
Gold Coast
I’m glad you all are keeping the conversation flowing at the moment because I can’t think of anything to say these days.
Am glad that cretin Chris Dawson was arrested today. Sickening that he’s lived freely in our beautiful little city for the last 30+ years.

Sunraysia

Mar 16, 2015
Gold Coast
I’m glad you all are keeping the conversation flowing at the moment because I can’t think of anything to say these days.
Am glad that cretin Chris Dawson was arrested today. Sickening that he’s lived freely in our beautiful little city for the last 30+ years.
Just a little off topic …
But it is ..Classic Bods...:)

17er

Oct 21, 2017
Gold Coast
If he did it! But still, this year 72 women have been murdered in Australia and 20 kids, most of them by their ex partners. Why has it taken 30 years to work out it was this guy?

Sunraysia

Mar 16, 2015
Gold Coast
If he did it! But still, this year 72 women have been murdered in Australia and 20 kids, most of them by their ex partners. Why has it taken 30 years to work out it was this guy?
I just hope the Suns murder Collingwood when we next play them … ;)

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
Gold Coast
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Burden of proof is so high, that is why the grubs convicted with Lawyer x info will appeal and get off. They are guilty but our butter soft system will allow them to walk free.
What’s the answer * knows but the system doesn’t work

GcSunsfan

Feb 17, 2013
Gold Coast

QAFL premiers Palm Beach Currumbin have confirmed the shock departure of senior head coach Chad Owens who has announced he will join VFL club Coburg as an assistant.

Owens, a teacher at Palm Beach Currumbin State High School where he ran the school’s academy,

SunsGal

Sep 10, 2018
Gold Coast
He'll also be leaving the AFL excellence program at PBC high school, and by all reports will be sadly missed

gcsunsfc

Oct 24, 2012
Gold Coast
Milwaukee Bucks
Sad news, Sam Docherty has just done his ACL at training.
Feel very sorry for the guy, just building back all set to hit the ground running this year.

In saying that, didn't stop me from shooting off to sportsbet to but a few dollars on Carlton to finish with the least wins. Currently $3.75

Think thats value.
Don't think they got THAT much better with new players traded in
Got some good youngsters

We lost Lynch and May but they honestly weren't that impactful for us
Got some depth in mature agers
Got arguably better youngsters

So potentially comes own to which 2nd, 3rd, 4th year players improve the most.

Jirik13

Jan 22, 2018
Gold Coast
Hawks top charts for pokie earnings again
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-04/demons-set-for-a-pokiefree-future

Across the rest of the competition, Brisbane has 200 machines at one venue, while Port Adelaide carries 63 machines at two venues.

Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast, West Coast, Sydney and Greater Western Sydney do not profit from poker machines.

AFL CONTROLLED POKER MACHINE TAKINGS

HAWTHORN - Up from $23.3m to $24.3 (two venues)
CARLTON – Up from $17.6m to $18.4 (four venues)
COLLINGWOOD – Up from $12.2m to $13.2 (two venues)
ESSENDON – Down from $11.9m to $11.6m (two venues)
MELBOURNE – Up from $10.3m to $10.4m (two venues)
GEELONG – Up from $5.2m to $6.3m (two venues)
WESTERN BULLDOGS – Up from $5.9m to $6.1m (two venues)
RICHMOND – Down from $5.4m to $5.3m (one venue)
ST KILDA – Down from $2.11m to $2.09m (one venue)

Sep 25, 2012
Gold Coast
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
The whole pokie debate is fairly well established at this point and people are fairly adamant on their views.
But, how Hawthorn can self-advertise themselves as ‘the family club’ while raking in $24mil from pokies, or how their fans can abuse clubs like us for taking handouts from the AFL while relying on pokies for their profits is pretty disgusting and in poor taste I would have thought.

17er

Oct 21, 2017
Gold Coast
Hawks top charts for pokie earnings again
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-04/demons-set-for-a-pokiefree-future

Across the rest of the competition, Brisbane has 200 machines at one venue, while Port Adelaide carries 63 machines at two venues.

Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast, West Coast, Sydney and Greater Western Sydney do not profit from poker machines.

AFL CONTROLLED POKER MACHINE TAKINGS

HAWTHORN - Up from $23.3m to $24.3 (two venues)
CARLTON – Up from $17.6m to $18.4 (four venues)
COLLINGWOOD – Up from $12.2m to $13.2 (two venues)
ESSENDON – Down from $11.9m to $11.6m (two venues)
MELBOURNE – Up from $10.3m to $10.4m (two venues)
GEELONG – Up from $5.2m to $6.3m (two venues)
WESTERN BULLDOGS – Up from $5.9m to $6.1m (two venues)
RICHMOND – Down from $5.4m to $5.3m (one venue)
ST KILDA – Down from $2.11m to $2.09m (one venue)
North Melbourne got rid of pokies, which is what set off the conversation. St Kilda, Collingwood and Geelong are all looking to divest themselves of pokies, but it isn't like buyers who will gain Government approval are everywhere. The best solution would seem to be to sell to the Melbourne Racing Club, which has almost as many venues and machines as all the Victorian AFL clubs put together. However, the AFL would need to offer a fairly sizable carrot and the timing of that would appear to be the next Broadcast Rights deal.

Port Adelaide and Brisbane also profit from pokies, but they don't report in the same way so their figures are unknown.

Jun 14, 2014
Gold Coast
Unpopular opinion: don't really mind clubs profiting from Pokie machines.

Although it's fine that Melbourne divested from Pokies, they also stated that they did so while keeping an eye on remaining solvent through 'traditional forms of revenue like gate takings'. It's certainly easier for a club like Melbourne with a greater number of members and much larger crowds on average, though. Mind you, making up for a $2,000,000 deficit is easier said than done.

In any case, I wager that the ability to spend $10,000,000+ per year more for some clubs probably gives them a decent leg-up when it comes to football department spending, and I respect Brisbane for making their club more financially viable through means other than gate takings and memberships, being in Rugby-mad territory.

Jirik13

Jan 22, 2018
Gold Coast
Unpopular opinion: don't really mind clubs profiting from Pokie machines.

Although it's fine that Melbourne divested from Pokies, they also stated that they did so while keeping an eye on remaining solvent through 'traditional forms of revenue like gate takings'. It's certainly easier for a club like Melbourne with a greater number of members and much larger crowds on average, though. Mind you, making up for a $2,000,000 deficit is easier said than done.

In any case, I wager that the ability to spend $10,000,000+ per year more for some clubs probably gives them a decent leg-up when it comes to football department spending, and I respect Brisbane for making their club more financially viable through means other than gate takings and memberships, being in Rugby-mad territory.
Prop up clubs from people misery leaves a poor taste. Plenty of money from TV rights, ... Yes, I believe Lions get around 1-2 mil from pokies.

Jun 14, 2014
Gold Coast
Prop up clubs from people misery leaves a poor taste. Plenty of money from TV rights, ... Yes, I believe Lions get around 1-2 mil from pokies.
See, I don't view pokies as a "misery". I view it the same as any form of gambling. And despite understanding that people have gambling problems, I disagree with the view that pokies are any worse than any other form of gambling. I mean, I've seen arguments that state it's just so easy to gamble on the pokies compared to other forms of gambling, but that doesn't mesh with the reality that most punters nowadays use betting apps... and it's not like these clubs who opt out of pokies are simply shutting them down, they're selling them to the highest bidder and so these machines continue to operate regardless (including Melbourne who simply plan to sell)...

There might be a lot of money from TV rights, but remember it's divided between 18 clubs - and a club pulling in $10,000,000+ per year from one revenue source is still a lot of money. Take the Hawks for example that have an annual turnover of about 70 mil. Over 20 mil of that is from pokies. That's a huge slice of pie for their total turnover. More-so, unsurprisingly the clubs who make the most from pokies are the ones who take the least funding from the AFL. Not a lot of people want to hear this, but if the top earners in the AFL removed their pokies, we the Gold Coast (and other clubs) would be given a lesser share and effectively less funded by the AFL to mitigate for the overall loss of revenue.

Also, I bet the Lions are making more than 1-2 mil on those pokies per year. Closer to 10 mil, and I'd wager it probably accounts for around 1/5th their total turnover. I mean, Collingwood would be losing money due to how much they pay for their football operations if not for pokies.

I think there's merit that some clubs rely too much on pokies (especially if new gambling laws come into place that could very well hurt their bottom lines, without a more diverse portfolio to protect themselves), but that just means some clubs should look to diversify their portfolios more than anything else. In fact, it's a lot better than simply cutting off a proven revenue source and then saying the deficit will be filled from gate takings (which Melbourne are being lauded for... for some reason... despite it being pretty ordinary business, honestly - I mean, they have to attract enough people to make up for 2 mil worth... they need their average overall crowd figures to increase by thousands next year to simply break even, which is a big gamble in itself).

Jirik13

Jan 22, 2018
Gold Coast
See, I don't view pokies as a "misery". I view it the same as any form of gambling. And despite understanding that people have gambling problems, I disagree with the view that pokies are any worse than any other form of gambling. I mean, I've seen arguments that state it's just so easy to gamble on the pokies compared to other forms of gambling, but that doesn't mesh with the reality that most punters nowadays use betting apps... and it's not like these clubs who opt out of pokies are simply shutting them down, they're selling them to the highest bidder and so these machines continue to operate regardless (including Melbourne who simply plan to sell)...

There might be a lot of money from TV rights, but remember it's divided between 18 clubs - and a club pulling in $10,000,000+ per year from one revenue source is still a lot of money. Take the Hawks for example that have an annual turnover of about 70 mil. Over 20 mil of that is from pokies. That's a huge slice of pie for their total turnover. More-so, unsurprisingly the clubs who make the most from pokies are the ones who take the least funding from the AFL. Not a lot of people want to hear this, but if the top earners in the AFL removed their pokies, we the Gold Coast (and other clubs) would be given a lesser share and effectively less funded by the AFL to mitigate for the overall loss of revenue.

Also, I bet the Lions are making more than 1-2 mil on those pokies per year. Closer to 10 mil, and I'd wager it probably accounts for around 1/5th their total turnover. I mean, Collingwood would be losing money due to how much they pay for their football operations if not for pokies.

I think there's merit that some clubs rely too much on pokies (especially if new gambling laws come into place that could very well hurt their bottom lines, without a more diverse portfolio to protect themselves), but that just means some clubs should look to diversify their portfolios more than anything else. In fact, it's a lot better than simply cutting off a proven revenue source and then saying the deficit will be filled from gate takings (which Melbourne are being lauded for... for some reason... despite it being pretty ordinary business, honestly - I mean, they have to attract enough people to make up for 2 mil worth... they need their average overall crowd figures to increase by thousands next year to simply break even).
You are probably right about Lions. Lions hospitality and gaming revenues were 15M last year according to AFL. Some people estimate up to 2/3 are from pokie machines. In 2012 Lions got 3M from pokies according to Hamilton.

Pokies and AFL have been discussed extensively on many forums. I don't really want to debate it or add to it. Just a couple of quick points. No difference gambling vs pokies, no ban, gradual diversification of income away from pokies by AFL teams. And yes, for significant number of people who are addicted to pokies/gambling it's an absolute misery for them and their families. You could argue it's their choice,etc

I believe AFL can do better.

Jun 14, 2014
Gold Coast
You are probably right about Lions. Lions hospitality and gaming revenues were 15M last year according to AFL. Some people estimate up to 2/3 are from pokie machines. In 2012 Lions got 3M from pokies according to Hamilton.

Pokies and AFL have been discussed extensively on many forums. I don't really want to debate it or add to it. Just a couple of quick points. No difference gambling vs pokies, no ban, gradual diversification of income away from pokies by AFL teams. And yes, for significant number of people who are addicted to pokies/gambling it's an absolute misery for them and their families. You could argue it's their choice,etc

I believe AFL can do better.
No worries, mate. Obviously it boils down to a moral debate, but that's something we'll just differ on. But I can respect your view, of course.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Just a quick aside in regards to the Lions pokies.

The Lions sports club is at Springwood, across the road from the Springwood Hotel. This is going back over 5 years, but Springwood Hotel used to bring in over $1m per month in pokie revenue, and hey only has 40 pokie machines.

It's probably been 18 months since I visited the Lions at Springwood. The place is badly in need of major renovations. The food is bad, and the atmosphere is a step above a morgue. As a sporting club, it looks like it's stuck in the 80's. Looking at the place, the Lions do not appear to be interested in maximising the potential revenue of 200 machines in what is essentially one of the top gambling areas of SEQ.