David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarke was VC back then though wasn't he? According to Katich and Symonds he had enough influence to finish both their test careers.

They still hold a lot of bitterness towards him.

Symonds finished his own test career by being a booze hound, was lucky to play test cricket in the first place, only Martyn walking away got him a gig.

Katich was a solid opener but he was no Hayden or Langer and even they weren't that great, flat track bullies come to mind.

Clarke is a better and more intelligent cricketer than most of the dopes that got gigs on Ch7/Foxtel, looking forward to seeing more barbs from him.

Katich’s record albeit abbreviated by comparison, is virtually identical to langer’s.

Katich’s record albeit abbreviated by comparison, is virtually identical to langer’s.

That's nothing to brag about, Hayden and Langer looked like Allan Border on the flat pitches here against average bowling attacks.

They didn't look as good when the Poms worked them over in the 2005 Ashes series.

I tend to use the Marcellus Wallace line "If you were gonna make it...you would have made it by now" Paine is the man for the job, but it's literally old mother hubbard's cupboard, I thought Whiteman was the one but he's had a horror run with injuries, Nevill is awfully stiff and I think he's a better keeper and bat than Paine but he couldn't be Captain even though he does it for NSW. It's a shambles and an accurate reflection of how the CA systems are (not) working.

Neville's batting has gone to s**t.

I don't think Paine will have a long stint as skipper but nevill deserved to lose his spot, we were getting rolled non stop and he wasn't a bloke who showed he could make runs when we were in trouble, hell Paine played a better innings just last series than anything we ever got from nevill At test level.

That's nothing to brag about, Hayden and Langer looked like Allan Border on the flat pitches here against average bowling attacks.

They didn't look as good when the Poms worked them over in the 2005 Ashes series.
Langer still averaged 43 in the 2005 Ashes..

I don't think Paine will have a long stint as skipper but nevill deserved to lose his spot, we were getting rolled non stop and he wasn't a bloke who showed he could make runs when we were in trouble, hell Paine played a better innings just last series than anything we ever got from nevill At test level.

And had they said that was why Nevill was dropped it'd be understandable. Instead, we got Smith saying he wasn't talkative enough behind the stumps, suddenly adding 'team motivation' to the list of duties of a wicketkeeper. As bizarre as picking a number 11 on batting strength.

Even when he returns Smith will have another year's ban on holding a leadership role which should probably see him as too old to return to the captaincy, and the lack of any other alternative right now leads me to think that as long as his form holds up Paine will probably have a three or four year run at the job.

Even when he returns Smith will have another year's ban on holding a leadership role which should probably see him as too old to return to the captaincy, and the lack of any other alternative right now leads me to think that as long as his form holds up Paine will probably have a three or four year run at the job.
For mine Smith should have received a far less of a playing ban but permanently dumped from captain.

I doubt Smith would want to be captain anyway, get the feeling he'd prefer to just be one of the boys and concentrate on his batting, he isn't a natural leader.

Langer still averaged 43 in the 2005 Ashes..

He wasn't the worst of the Australian batsmen in that series, certainly not as bad as Hayden who only made a good score at The Oval on a flat batting track.

Gilchrist had a shocker that series too, Freddie and co had him nicking off to slips and gully when he'd barely had time to take strike.

Waugh was captain of an absolute gun side plus he was an elder statesman of the team when he became captain that automatically commanded respect.

Clarke took over a team that was in transition and he was a younger captain like Kim Hughes that had older bulls like Katich and Symonds undermining him like Lillee and Marsh did with Hughes. I thought Clarke was a great captain on field, off field he could've been better but he had some bad cards dealt against him.
The difference was, Clarke seemed to start out his captaincy with the respect of his players. He lost it apparently largely through his own actions.
Hughes - like Clarke - was always the ACB's (and WACA's) golden boy; add that to the resentment over the WSC split, and Marsh thinking he should have got the gig; Hughes started with his senior players undermining him and dividing the newer players well before he even started as full-time captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more this goes on, the less I have time for Simon Katich.

Can a guy get anymore mileage out of an incident where he drunkenly attacked someone and then paints himself as the victim?
Simon Katich is a genuinely good block and a man of integrity. I'm not sure where you got the "drunkenly attacked someone" from but that is not correct and I have that from someone who was there. You are looking at the wrong man. More importantly he is not self absorbed, he has the best interests of the game at heart.

You not understanding what went on and equating it to cheating does.

Virtually every angle of the story has asserted that smith was not party to exactly what went on, simply got wind that Warner and Bancroft had cooked something up and said ‘I don’t want to know about it.’
I don't believe that Smith wasn't in on it and I don't believe it was isolated to those three. It's simply implausible that the bowlers weren't in some way party to what went on as well.

Very similar pathetic personalities Clarke and Warner ( must be playing for NSW )
Its ok for them to say/ do stuff . but if you criticies them they spit the dummy big time , and ruin your career

"Simon Katich has revealed the personal nature of what Michael Clarke said to him was the breaking point in their infamous dressing room spat at the SCG in 2009.

Katich reportedly grabbed Clarke by the throat after he complained about why it was taking so long to sing the team song after a Test victory, wanting to leave the ground and head to another venue.

Katich was unhappy Clarke was trying to rush the custodian of the team song, Michael Hussey, into belting out the tune and in an interview on SEN radio’s This is Your Sporting Life on Sunday, the former Australian opening batsman said he snapped when his younger teammate crossed the line.

“There’s been a fair bit said about it, I won’t deny that it happened,” Katich said.

“It was partly to do with the singing of the team song and the pressure that he was putting on Michael Hussey to really get on with it and get on with the night. That probably led to our altercation.

“But a big part of it from my point of view was what he said to me and the personal nature of what he said.

“I can’t repeat that on the show unfortunately because I’m sure there are some ladies out there listening.”

Katich has no regrets over standing up for himself, saying he wasn’t prepared to let Clarke make his comments in front of the rest of the Australian team. He also revealed he approached coach Tim Nielsen and captain Ricky Ponting immediately after the incident to clear the air.

bc2a03e8fed313f0ea86e8ee2d0e2658

Clarke and Katich aren’t on each others’ Christmas card lists.Source:News Limited

“What was said was said and I reacted accordingly. I can’t take that back now. I don’t regret standing up for myself because I certainly wasn’t going to sit there and listen to what he was saying in front of my teammates,” Katich said.

“I certainly apologised to my teammates for seeing him storm out and not come back for the song later on.

“As soon as it happened I spoke to Ricky Ponting and our coach Tim Nielsen about trying to make sure that there wasn’t any issue with it moving forward and Michael assured them and me that wouldn’t be the case.

“But whenever something like that happens to that nature there’s always going to be, I guess, both parties are going to feel that they’re in the right or the wrong.

“It was a small part of my career. I don’t look back on my career and judge myself on what happened in the dressing room.”

Despite playing for years together for NSW and Australia, Katich was never able to mend his relationship with Clarke, which he said is now “non-existent”. It didn’t help when Katich’s international career was abruptly cut short at the same time Clarke assumed the full-time captaincy.

“You don’t have to be Einstein to figure out that it’s not just the selectors that had a part in sending me on my way,” Katich said a few years ago. “I mean, to be brutally honest, obviously what happened in the dressing room a few years ago didn’t help my cause.”

e75a0677defcdc79d70e7451119353f9

Time doesn’t heal all wounds.Source:News Limited

Katich never wore the baggy green again after playing England in Adelaide in late 2010 despite being a prolific runscorer in the whites in the years preceding his axing.

However, as upset as he was not to add to his tally of 56 Tests, Katich understands how lucky he was to represent his country even once.

“I understand that’s the way it’s panned out but at the time I was obviously very upset because for those three years — from 2008 to 2010 — I was told by one of the journos that I think only two guys in world cricket had scored more Test runs than me in that period,” Katich said.

“One was the great Sachin Tendulkar and one was (England opener) Alastair Cook who was at the height of his game.

“That was probably the biggest disappointment, that I felt I’d earned my spot in the team over three really consistent years, I think I’d averaged over 50 opening the batting for Australia in those 30-odd Tests that I played.”

Very similar pathetic personalities Clarke and Warner ( must be playing for NSW )
Its ok for them to say/ do stuff . but if you criticies them they spit the dummy big time , and ruin your career

"Simon Katich has revealed the personal nature of what Michael Clarke said to him was the breaking point in their infamous dressing room spat at the SCG in 2009.

Katich reportedly grabbed Clarke by the throat after he complained about why it was taking so long to sing the team song after a Test victory, wanting to leave the ground and head to another venue.

Katich was unhappy Clarke was trying to rush the custodian of the team song, Michael Hussey, into belting out the tune and in an interview on SEN radio’s This is Your Sporting Life on Sunday, the former Australian opening batsman said he snapped when his younger teammate crossed the line.

“There’s been a fair bit said about it, I won’t deny that it happened,” Katich said.

“It was partly to do with the singing of the team song and the pressure that he was putting on Michael Hussey to really get on with it and get on with the night. That probably led to our altercation.

“But a big part of it from my point of view was what he said to me and the personal nature of what he said.

“I can’t repeat that on the show unfortunately because I’m sure there are some ladies out there listening.”

Katich has no regrets over standing up for himself, saying he wasn’t prepared to let Clarke make his comments in front of the rest of the Australian team. He also revealed he approached coach Tim Nielsen and captain Ricky Ponting immediately after the incident to clear the air.

bc2a03e8fed313f0ea86e8ee2d0e2658

Clarke and Katich aren’t on each others’ Christmas card lists.Source:News Limited

“What was said was said and I reacted accordingly. I can’t take that back now. I don’t regret standing up for myself because I certainly wasn’t going to sit there and listen to what he was saying in front of my teammates,” Katich said.

“I certainly apologised to my teammates for seeing him storm out and not come back for the song later on.

“As soon as it happened I spoke to Ricky Ponting and our coach Tim Nielsen about trying to make sure that there wasn’t any issue with it moving forward and Michael assured them and me that wouldn’t be the case.

“But whenever something like that happens to that nature there’s always going to be, I guess, both parties are going to feel that they’re in the right or the wrong.

“It was a small part of my career. I don’t look back on my career and judge myself on what happened in the dressing room.”

Despite playing for years together for NSW and Australia, Katich was never able to mend his relationship with Clarke, which he said is now “non-existent”. It didn’t help when Katich’s international career was abruptly cut short at the same time Clarke assumed the full-time captaincy.

“You don’t have to be Einstein to figure out that it’s not just the selectors that had a part in sending me on my way,” Katich said a few years ago. “I mean, to be brutally honest, obviously what happened in the dressing room a few years ago didn’t help my cause.”

e75a0677defcdc79d70e7451119353f9

Time doesn’t heal all wounds.Source:News Limited

Katich never wore the baggy green again after playing England in Adelaide in late 2010 despite being a prolific runscorer in the whites in the years preceding his axing.

However, as upset as he was not to add to his tally of 56 Tests, Katich understands how lucky he was to represent his country even once.

“I understand that’s the way it’s panned out but at the time I was obviously very upset because for those three years — from 2008 to 2010 — I was told by one of the journos that I think only two guys in world cricket had scored more Test runs than me in that period,” Katich said.

“One was the great Sachin Tendulkar and one was (England opener) Alastair Cook who was at the height of his game.

“That was probably the biggest disappointment, that I felt I’d earned my spot in the team over three really consistent years, I think I’d averaged over 50 opening the batting for Australia in those 30-odd Tests that I played.”
Isn't it time within the aussie media to let this one go now - its reported annually like a free to air tv station airs Crocodile Dundee as the movie of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back