Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Triachy and A Dead Poem my fav two for sure. I re-invested with them at the time of the Khronos release which goes ok. I've a good friend who raves about the last couple but I really can't get into them too much. The last (Rituals) had a real formula to it which if it clicked it clicked in a big way but if it didn't...…

I would say that new single sounds really promosising and I'm returning to it time and time again. So fingers crossed.

Some of the later songs have a repetitive and simplistic vibe which kind of reminds me of what Celtic Frost did on Monotheist. That new song though does sound a bit more old school and the artwork gives off that vibe too.

I'm liking the two new songs, particularly 'Conflagration'. Tom's voice sounds good, well positioned in the mix. Slightly longer songs for them too. At the end of the day it is still very much 'business as usual' Sodom but with some slight variation in approach and a hint of difference here and there sprinkled across the top.

There wasn't really anything jumping out at me that couldn't have been done with one guitar rather than two, but afaik they've never been a 4 piece before. I think it'll take some time before they expand their sound in such a way that requires two guitars, but what I really liked was the tone and overall 'feel'; they sound refreshed, and it reminds me of their earlier stuff.

I'm liking the two new songs, particularly 'Conflagration'. Tom's voice sounds good, well positioned in the mix. Slightly longer songs for them too. At the end of the day it is still very much 'business as usual' Sodom but with some slight variation in approach and a hint of difference here and there sprinkled across the top.

From the footage I've seen, the drummer is very sloppy. Plays some stuff too fast and does fills that throw the rest of the band out. I'd be interested to know if Tom cares or if he thinks it helps them sound more dirty and loose like really old Sodom.
I'm not really keen on Blackfire's guitar tone either, too much gain. Sounds like he's playing through a Metal Zone or something.

That said I'll still check out whatever they bring out and it was probably time for a lineup change as the last one was getting stale.

From the footage I've seen, the drummer is very sloppy. Plays some stuff too fast and does fills that throw the rest of the band out. I'd be interested to know if Tom cares or if he thinks it helps them sound more dirty and loose like really old Sodom.
I'm not really keen on Blackfire's guitar tone either, too much gain. Sounds like he's playing through a Metal Zone or something.

That said I'll still check out whatever they bring out and it was probably time for a lineup change as the last one was getting stale.

Agree some of that early live footage was sloppy. For the record, I love Decision Day. I thought it was great. An improvement on Epitome of Torture.

Going through a big Rotting Christ phase at the moment. Triarchy has always been my favourite album - just perfect melodies, memorable riffs, great songs.

I really liked the first 4 albums, are there any others worth listening to?
Same here, I usually go the early stuff, the last few were decent from memory as well, but haven't heard all their stuff. Also I was listening to new Varathron last week, sounded good DV.

Checked out the debut single from Spirits of Fire consisting of Ripper Owns, Chris Caffery, Steve DiGiorgio and Mark Zonder (Fates Warning). Not a bad listen. Won't change anyone's lives I wouldn't have thought, but worth keeping an eye out for the album when it drops. Another 'creation' from Frontiers Music....they're doing the Lord's work down there.

Checked out the debut single from Spirits of Fire consisting of Ripper Owns, Chris Caffery, Steve DiGiorgio and Mark Zonder (Fates Warning). Not a bad listen. Won't change anyone's lives I wouldn't have thought, but worth keeping an eye out for the album when it drops. Another 'creation' from Frontiers Music....they're doing the Lord's work down there.

I found it a little lacking. Though likely will buy it. Fascinating label though - one wonders what the owner is like. Haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of 2018's best BM.....1914's "The Blind Leading the Blind" is a really rewarding release. Incorporating doom & progressive elements perfectly into the blackness of it all.

And the riffs and guitar tone on this recent Craft album smokes. This album is so much fun. Silly title though.

Last edited:
Speaking of 2018's best BM.....1914's "The Blind Leading the Blind" is a really rewarding release. Incorporating doom & progressive elements perfectly into the blackness of it all.

And the riffs and guitar tone on this recent Craft album smokes. This album is so much fun. Silly title though.

Gonna order it.

Just had my regular taste of Graveland - Immortal Pride. Now moving onto Following the Voice of Blood. Throwing a bit of Watain - The Wild Hunt in between.

Just had my regular taste of Graveland - Immortal Pride. Now moving onto Following the Voice of Blood. Throwing a bit of Watain - The Wild Hunt in between.

Immortal Pride my favourite followed by Memory & Destiny.

Immortal Pride my favourite followed by Memory & Destiny.

Will Stronger Than Death mine, but that was my introduction to them.

I'm really liking Watain lately too, I'm looking forward to seeing them do their own show next year (seen them twice as an opener, Mayhem and Behemoth).

Will Stronger Than Death mine, but that was my introduction to them.

I'm really liking Watain lately too, I'm looking forward to seeing them do their own show next year (seen them twice as an opener, Mayhem and Behemoth).

Casus Luciferi, Sworn to the Dark and Lawless Darkness are seminal modern BM imo but Watain fell off a massive cliff after that. To me they seem like they’re trying too hard to be edgy posers now. This is coming from someone who has a Sworn to the Dark tat. It’s a shame. They were one of my favourite bands for a while. I felt nothing when I saw them open for Behemoth so will give them a miss next year.

I just had the Partisan EP on,
Ordered it as well, but it didn't arrive yet.
I've heard this current lineup is pretty sloppy live.
They said it themselves during the gig, but I liked it. Their early song were never made for perfect play, so it actually is a good thing for me.

Show was great.

Exodus solid.

Death Angel solid but a bit boring. So much into them anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back