Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking through the AFL rules doc, you may be right.

I wonder if that means clubs are free to load up on late picks again to cover multiple top end academy players.
Do you have the latest update of the rules document for 2018? If so, please link it as I find they're only publicly available the year after.

I'm just going off currently issued picks and what I know of each senior list. Gold Coast has to make a trade or their last pick in the top 30 will be forfeit.

As to there being a limit, I'd suggest there is (though it's clearly not capped by list size), but even if it were unlimited it wouldn't be advantageous to grab a huge bundle of late picks as there's no guarantee they'd all be consumed.

Do you have the latest update of the rules document for 2018? If so, please link it as I find they're only publicly available the year after.

I'm just going off currently issued picks and what I know of each senior list. Gold Coast has to make a trade or their last pick in the top 30 will be forfeit.

As to there being a limit, I'd suggest there is (though it's clearly not capped by list size), but even if it were unlimited it wouldn't be advantageous to grab a huge bundle of late picks as there's no guarantee they'd all be consumed.

Just the ones available on the AFL site, I think they're last years, as you said.

The benefit in trading down is that most clubs will pay a "points premium" to move up the draft, so you can maximise the picks/position of picks in the mid/late draft by securing more points in late picks from clubs who'd rather fewer high selections. Sydney gave up Picks 33, 36, 37 and 43 for Mills in 2015. The AFL were supposedly introducing a rule to prevent that happening, by capping the number of live draft selections at the number of available list positions, to encourage clubs to give up picks closer in actual value to the players they secured. But that rule seems to have disappeared now.

Just the ones available on the AFL site, I think they're last years, as you said.

The benefit in trading down is that most clubs will pay a "points premium" to move up the draft, so you can maximise the picks/position of picks in the mid/late draft by securing more points in late picks from clubs who'd rather fewer high selections. Sydney gave up Picks 33, 36, 37 and 43 for Mills in 2015. The AFL were supposedly introducing a rule to prevent that happening, by capping the number of live draft selections at the number of available list positions, to encourage clubs to give up picks closer in actual value to the players they secured. But that rule seems to have disappeared now.
While there likely is a limit (maybe 2 more than their available list spots), unless they're guaranteed to go fairly early, grabbing a swag of picks in the 40s and 50s isn't particularly advantageous.

North, Collingwood and the Dogs are OK because they are each predicted to have two bids they are looking to match in the top 40, while Sydney have a top 10 bid to match. North's the most at risk with their pick tally, but conversely they have two of the more highly rated prospects in Thomas and Scott.

Kouta’s son (Jamie) has qualified for the state basketball development squad.

He measured in at 1.90m and is a unit for his age! Good agility with an impressive vertical leap!

He actually reminds me a lot of a 16 year old a Christian Petracca who dominated state basketball with his similarish height (albeit a little shorter by than Jamie), leap and body shape.

Why would you want to play basketball
Millions of reasons each year to want to play basketball!

but yeah, he lost interest in football a couple of years back according to his dad. Lukas is the one who is going to be the footballer. Loves the sport and loves the team his dad played for!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you want to play basketball
two close mates growing up one is christian petracca, one ben simmons.

simmons earns in a few hours what petracca does in a year.

leaving aside the dubious charms of dating a kardashian, if you love both sports why not set yourself and your family up for life?

leaving aside the dubious charms of dating a kardashian, if you love both sports why not set yourself and your family up for life?
Few players are going to be the next Ben Simmons; rather be an average footballer than an average basketballer.

ray's third son, razor, washed out as a player

why?

I'll weigh in on this one.

I love playing basketball but much prefer watching AFL to BBall.

Find BBall a bit boring to watch to be honest.

Playing BBall is great fun but I reckon any team sport is awesome for anyone to play. I'm 1.96m tall and, at school, was always tall for my year level so naturally gravitated towards BBall anyway. Won't find me in any NBL history records or anything sadly - drinking got in the way of my burgeoning career once I hit the late teens...but I still strap the left knee and both feet and hobble around the court for a game each Monday evening at MSAC - good for fitness and a general outlet from the day to day.

ray's third son, razor, washed out as a player

why?
You can grab a few mates and play half court 3 on 3. Great fun. Don't need as many people to play so its easier to play casually.

With 6 people you are pretty much just playing kick to kick with a footy.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Few players are going to be the next Ben Simmons; rather be an average footballer than an average basketballer.

Simmons is an inch shorter than Aaron Sandilands and moves like Zac Fisher.

Just think about that...

I know, I'm sitting on the bench in "D" grade Pro on $15 a game + incentives. Just finished paying off the young blokes 10 speed, admittedly late but.... I tried.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back