List Mgmt. Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

If you have a look at recent consecutive years and took the best mids, you'd be pretty happy with what was compiled.

2009 - Martin or Fyfe
2010 - Swallow or Gaff
2011 - Coniglio or Yeo
2012 - Whitfield or Macrae
2013 - Kelly or Bontempelli or Cripps
2014 - Brayshaw or DeGoey

Given the way we ranked the mids we took, we should be able to put together something akin to having five of the above named quality mids.
I know it doesn't work exactly that way, but lets say that Dow, Setterfield, Walsh, SPS & Stocker became the quality of.....let me just pick out 5 random names....Fyfe, Gaff, Macrae, Kelly & Brayshaw, you'd be pretty happy, wouldn't you? :)

2016: SOS rated Setterfield as the best mid in the draft. (best player actually)
2016: SPS was rated at around 3/4 and we got him at 6 (5 really as Setterfield was bid on by us)
2017: SOS rated Dow as the best mid. (best player actually)
2018: Walsh was rated as the best mid/player in the draft...obviously.
2018: Stocker was rated as the sixth best player and likely the second best mid in the draft.

You'd have to say that if we haven't got the core of a quality midfield here, something terribly bad has gone wrong at the club.
I'd argue it goes a bit deeper than that. The rebuild draft years:

2015: Kennedy, Cuningham
2016: Setterfield, Petrevski-Seton, Fisher
2017: Dow, O'Brien
2018: Walsh, Stocker

Then there's Silvagni, Williamson, Polson, Schumacher who could maybe become true mids down the track.

(From the same time period and tall stocks we've got Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Silvagni, Macreadie, Kerr, De Koning, O'Dwyer & Silvagni. Not too shabby either...)

If you have a look at recent consecutive years and took the best mids, you'd be pretty happy with what was compiled.

2009 - Martin or Fyfe
2010 - Swallow or Gaff
2011 - Coniglio or Yeo

Given the way we ranked the mids we took, we should be able to put together something akin to having five of the above named quality mids.
I know it doesn't work exactly that way, but lets say that Dow, Setterfield, Walsh, SPS & Stocker became the quality of.....let me just pick out 5 random names....Fyfe, Gaff, Macrae, Kelly & Brayshaw, you'd be pretty happy, wouldn't you? :)

*takes a sip from Soapy's cup of optimism* How about (chronologically ordered)

Kennedy - his Sydney namesake
Cuningham - Steven
Setterfield - Bontempelli
Petrevski-Seton - Burgoyne
Fisher - SMitchell with a burst of pace?...
Dow - Dangerfield
O'Brien - Gaff
Walsh - Kelly/Cotchin hybrid (?)
Stocker - Parker

All led by the incomparable Patrick Cripps.

Trying to predict who will be considered elite in several years is like throwing darts blindfolded. You get the general idea of where the board is, but even if you hit something, it's likely more to do with luck than anything else. And what is elite anyway? Top 50 in the AFL? Top 10 in the position across the AFL? Subjectively assessed, via stats or both? Brownlow positions?

Anyway, having said all that, here is my 100% accurate assessment of our midfield in around 2-3 years:

Elite
Cripps
Fisher
Walsh

A-Grade
Setterfield
Dow
SPS

Good players
Kennedy
O'Brien

??
Cuningham
Polson

You're welcome.

Then there's Silvagni, Williamson, Polson, Schumacher who could maybe become true mids down the track.

(From the same time period and tall stocks we've got Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Silvagni, Macreadie, Kerr, De Koning, O'Dwyer & Silvagni. Not too shabby either...)
Pickett?

Trying to predict who will be considered elite in several years is like throwing darts blindfolded. You get the general idea of where the board is, but even if you hit something, it's likely more to do with luck than anything else. And what is elite anyway? Top 50 in the AFL? Top 10 in the position across the AFL? Subjectively assessed, via stats or both? Brownlow positions?

Anyway, having said all that, here is my 100% accurate assessment of our midfield in around 2-3 years:

Elite
Cripps
Fisher
Walsh

A-Grade
Setterfield
Dow
SPS

Good players
Kennedy
O'Brien

??
Cuningham
Polson

You're welcome.
add Pickett in the Good Players list as he will be a great player

Was drafted before those specific years so didn't include him, was 2014 like Garlett.

Then there's the whole bit about him needing to get fit, get on the park and develop some continuity and ideally lift his disposal numbers from around 10 to 15-20 before I'm really going to consider him a midfielder of sorts...

Hope so, seems to have the tools, could be anything if he has the drive to push himself

Liam Stocker will be a wonderful player can extract the ball well, pin point delivery by foot to the forward line effortlessly.
He'll need adjustment to AFL pace and plenty of physical conditioning obviously, but he’s a very safe bet.

If and when Stocker is ready , Ed Curnow would likely be the one in the hot seat.
Timing will be about right and Stocker's dual sided disposal would be an upgrade.
Can he though match Ed's drive and desire ...
At the moment it's a huge step back in endurance, but Stocker has time on his side.

Hopefully, he can narrow that gap, but I don't think he will ever get it to Ed current levels. Ed was always an endurance beast.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the moment it's a huge step back in endurance, but Stocker has time on his side.

Hopefully, he can narrow that gap, but I don't think he will ever get it to Ed current levels. Ed was always an endurance beast.

The trade off is the upgrade in skills. Won’t need to run as far or as hard when you hit targets lace out 40 meters down the field.

Still need both in the side for now

2009 - Martin or Fyfe
2010 - Swallow or Gaff
2011 - Coniglio or Yeo

There is no way Fyfe was rated (at the time) the
2nd best mid considering where he was drafted.

There is no way Fyfe was rated (at the time) the
2nd best mid considering where he was drafted.

He may have been by Fremantle.
The point is whether one has selected right given one's rankings.
We know where the CFC rate the mids i put forward.

Is it that thin? Cripps is mature as is Curnow, Murphy still there maybe Lang, Simmo around the flanks and SPS Kennedy Setterfield entering 4th years plus I think Newman Gibbons Charlie may spend some time in the middle. Don’t forget Kruezer. I like the balance and the way it’s transitioning and we have options

As I have said previously the biggest interest for me is how Bolton balances and uses all this

Experience relative to other midfields in the competition such as Collingwood, GWS, Richmond, Sydney, Geelong etc.

Experience relative to other midfields in the competition such as Collingwood, GWS, Richmond, Sydney, Geelong etc.

Agree but the base of experience is there now. I reckon our round one side will carry more experience with Bugg Newman McGovern maybe Fasolo. In the middle you still Kruezer Murphy Cripps Curnow plus SPS maybe Cunners who our now mature men. So is Setterfield and Dow and Walsh are mature beyond their years and the type that will handle and/or thrive on the battle.

Defence has Simpson & Marchbank Weitering Plowman are mature enough now

Experience won’t be an excuse in 2019 and it shouldn’t be. Competition for spots helps as well

So good to hear the "Cobbler" getting some recognition for his potential. Long-term prospect (if the Blues can remain patient) but could be the surprise packet out of all the kids. Rarely rates a mention here, but that's okay. I expect him to debut this year and grab a handful of games.

I can see alot of excitement from you guys here and understandably so after the last 5 years of pain and total frustration experienced by most blues supporters including my mate which i see 1st hand every week so the nest 3-4 years will be really exciting for your club.

How ever i can also see major issue's with carlton that will be really hard to ignore and thats keeping the talented kids together if they all turn out like whats been mentioned in this thread.

Most of these boys are going to be given decent contract's and extentions in the next 2 -3 years but the age demographic of the players being mentioned is extremely close 18-22 and will all be getting near the free agency window about the same time effectively every year you guys will have 1,2,3 players that will be chased by north melbourne :rolleyes: or another club and even if you dont have to match you will need to get close. Lets just fast foward 5 years where do you see the players pay scales

Think you guys are going to need a bigger cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back