Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

2 15 minute quarters down.
The wind is strong and having a huge impact on the game.

A few observations:
Polson: When he gets the ball he breaks away from everyone, and used it okay.

TDK: a great mark and some good positioning.

McKay: Some really good marking and movement. One time roving a ball, running through two players then kicking a goal

SPS: Can we always just give him the ball. Moving well and hitting targets.

Kennedy: Getting the ball a lot, then booting it as far as he can kick.

Plowman: Looking ripped while doing 200’s, moving very fast.

Philips: destroying his opponent, who was 4 cms shorter. Also good ground work.

Team wise, we had one forward line with Curnow, McKay and sometimes JSOS with Kerr and Casboult the main defenders..

TDK was the FF at the other end.

Gameplay wise, there was some good whole ground movement. Hard to do that much with this wind. One thing that was annoying was very little movement down the ground giving options or clearing space.
This meant that the long kick was forced, rarely with the wind.

Never injure you hand during preseason. Jones had to do some serious running there.

Currently Kennedy, LOB, Cotterel and LeBois are running laps.
LeBois 25 metres behind after 550 metres.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go Stocker

It is amazing how these blokes with poor endurance manage to improve at AFL level, it is almost as if training at a professional level instead of at a TAC cup level around your other commitments is a real benefit in this area.

I get the feelingno matter what the draft pick swap is we won't lose on the trade.

Training report

Recovery group
Williamson
Marchbank
Doc
Lang
McGovern
Jones
Plowman
Bugg

Couldn't see Kreuzer

Warm up

Static and dynamic stretches

Handball games through congestion, looked really good and sharp

Then some mini match sim

Then full blown match sim for 2 ~15 halfs

Then some brutal sprints in the heat, into clearance work for the mids

Curnow, JSOS, Murphy, Walsh, SPS, Kennedy, Thomas, fisher and a couple of others

There's no hiding if you're not fit, you fall right off the back. I actually felt sorry for them. No one can accuse the mids of not working hard. I was stuffed after walking to my car in this heat and this was a full session.

Ones that stood out
Ben silvagni

Taller, faster and more agile than I expected, disappeared in match sim

Fisher

Elite agility and tenacity, huge standout in training drills. Also did some good things in match sim. I expect him to take another big step in 2019

Owies
Can not kick

They were doing some left foot snaps off a spillage and on his left it looked like aus kick stuff, really long way to go.

Dale Thomas

Crap kicking and decision making is a hallmark of his game and on display today. But you can't deny him putting his body in good spots in defense, he's hard at it. Looks leaner too, but will continue to frustrate but he's what the young group need.

O'Brien

I love his loopy yet penetrating kicking, seems to bounce off his foot and get to its destination with ease, speed and a bit of loop. Will be a great link up player for us.

Kennedy

Ripping shape, still strong frame but really lean compared to last year, still not fast but should be able to spread and get to more contests. Like a modern, bigger McLean. Really came into it at the clearances in the second half of match sim. I expect him to lighten Cripps load significantly.

Polson

Looks a class below, too short and not enough speed or tricks...Were my thoughts until the match sim

He was best on, kicked 2 goals, set up 2 goals and had 3 meaningful bursts through the midfield in the first half and continued strongly in the second half. He was like a Marc Murphy clone

JSOS

Is really impressive with his clearance work, he's got great intensity, size to dispose of it while being tackled and picks it up nicely off the deck. I'm adamant we need to find a spot for him. Had some really nice take aways from clearances in the match sim and was one of the more impressive throughout the whole session, he was right at the front of the pack in the sprints at the end and really physical in the following contest work. I really think he's gunna make it and was the most impressive on the track for mine.

Cuningham

Really catches the eye

But for every 5 times fisher catches your attention with some masterful evasion Cuningham does it once. Hoping he makes the best 22 to start the year and find his place

If he comes on and is our 10th best mid we'd be laughing

In the match sim he looked Judd like when he has it. Played off the forward flank and has speed and power to burn off through congestion.....but he only got it 2 or 3 times. Hopefully once we become good he can be an icing on the cake player, I just reckon he'll always be one to drift in and out.

Goddard

Looks a shrewd rookie pick up, basically a younger slightly more polished Rowe, held Curnow in match sim a couple of times when it was to Curnows advantage. He could be our lock down man.

Harry McKay

I reckon he's gunna be so so good, for where we are as a club if you could pick any 2 tall forwards, 1 and 2 would be Curnow and McKay and not necessarily in that order. He's got the swagger to be a game changing forward too.

Should have kicked 5 in match sim, but for some set shot kicking (v windy). You just can't stop him in the air. Expect some big bags from him.

Stanton played the practice match, he's so sh1t
Teague played also and was actually pretty good.

Dekonning

Still a while away but took a big pack mark vs 3 defenders

Newman

Looks a solid cog, out of defense, looks lean and strong too. I think he'll be someone we can rely on on the last line straight into back 6.

Lebois

No idea why he's on the list, looks way out of place

Wietering

Very quiet, still looks slow, I am worried he won't become the star we all hoped.

Last edited:
It is amazing how these blokes with poor endurance manage to improve at AFL level, it is almost as if training at a professional level instead of at a TAC cup level around your other commitments is a real benefit in this area.

I get the feeling no matter what the draft pick swap is we won't lose on the trade.

Will be a gun. I don't think his endurance was a major issue. It was more about he needed to slim down to be an AFL mid. The changes are obvious already

Remove this Banner Ad

Back