Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

So much to take in but every time I looked over I was super impressed with Weiters. Moving better and in the best shape that he’s ever been. Definitely covering the ground quicker.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interested to read this and a few others high on Weitering

He might look fit, but he still seemed too slow for me, players will break away on the lead.

He might look fit, but he still seemed too slow for me, players will break away on the lead.

Which is almost always the case. If a forward gets a half second of separation and has a paddock to lead into, it's very difficult for any defender to cut off a well-directed kick.

Defenders are very reliant on their midfield applying enough pressure to limit the well-directed kicks, as anything with a bit more hang time or that isn't positioned perfectly to the forward's advantage gives the defender a chance to initiate contact again.

They're also reliant on the defensive system as a whole to deny huge open spaces for forwards to lead into, and to provide coverage for a third man to drop into the contest if necessary.

Don't really care if Weiters is a little slow off the mark. His ability to read the play will cover some of that shortfall, and then it's up to the rest of the team to make sure he's not having to defend bullet passes to his opponent's advantage.

In his first few seasons that’s been the knock, but he’s clearly worked on it over Summer. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s done some personal sprint work. He won a few sprints out there this morning and left nothing in the tank.

Another one who won’t die wondering if he gave himself every opportunity: J Silvagni. Full respect for that kid. Ed Curnow is super human and Jack followed him in on every 200m sprint.

Must give Sam Walsh a mention as well. Somehow he’s already looking elite. Reminds me very much of a young Robert Harvey. Turns on a dime, lighting change of direction and the game just seems to revolve around him. It needn’t be said but we have a seriously good one!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-25/back-to-the-future-levi-could-try-on-new-role

LEVI Casboult could look to revive his Carlton career in the backline in 2019, having been trialled in defence during a gruelling pre-season training session on Friday.

The Blues were put through a punishing session that lasted nearly three hours in sweltering heat that hovered at just over 40 degrees Celsius at Ikon Park, with Casboult used predominantly in the backline throughout the morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Triple M spoke about JSOS this morning, said he has been training with the mids, has impressed and has worked on his endurance.

Eddie stuck up for him, saying Jack cops a lot of shite because of his surname but that he is developing just fine for a kid. Noted that he needed to clean up his goalkicking but that anyone would have struggled playing in Carlton's forward line recently (meant sincerely).

A bit of a fluff piece, but interesting nonetheless.

Certainly gets more scrutiny than the Collingwood father sons - Brown and Daicos.

So much to take in but every time I looked over I was super impressed with Weiters. Moving better and in the best shape that he’s ever been. Definitely covering the ground quicker.

I saw your avatar picture thing & thought i’d Been hacked & someone was posting as me ! But then i read your post & it wasnt some silliness & realised it wasnt me...

Yep. Same here.
SPS, Weitering and Cuningham for me.

Get those three guys firing this year and the pieces around them make ever so much more sense.
Weitering looks fan*intastic in the photo from yesterday he has really put on some lean muscle mass.

Finbar getting into good spots and using the ball well.
Lob staying very wide in a whole ground drill

Edit: not in a bad way with LOB, they are playing through him.
Good that’s where we want lob, overall we really need to spread the field this year instead of clumping up and making it hard to pick and hit targets.

**** me... look at Ed, and look at him go...

Thank **** for that review.

Ed is about 28 and a fitness machine, yet when listening to him a few weeks ago he was so high on Russell's work with him personally and the others.

Said wtte that Russell identified a certain clunkiness in him and reasons why he was tiring towards the end of each quarter. Something about more agility and fluidity helping him and should lead to him running full quarters out better.

Was interesting and eye opening that elite guys can get more blood out of even the oldest fittest stones, let alone a big bunch of kids just coming into their prime.

May as well get the gushing out of the way early –

Setterfield: Great hands in close, and ridiculous lateral movement for a 6’3 bloke coming off an ACL. Finds space, keeps his head up and has an uncanny ability to find a target while being pursued by a couple of players. Only joined in just over half the session, but if all goes to plan he’s going to be a very good player. Huge ceiling.

C. Curnow: Ridiculous athleticism, and seems to have trimmed down without losing any of his strength. Has as much ability at ground level as most of our midfielders, and loves engaging early in a contest to eliminate a player in a contested situation. If he wasn’t such a pivotal part of our forward line he could easily play as an inside midfielder. Won just about every 200-metre sprint as well.

McKay – His reading of the play (or possibly his reading of our play) has improved and he’s going to be exceptionally good key forward. Instinctive, strong, persistent… Had a few moments of brilliance breaking through tackles and is very capable at ground level for a big guy. Just looks super comfortable, and I think he’s in for a big year.

Have to echo the sentiments W/R/T JSOS. He needs to be viewed as a long-term project, and developed as an inside midfielder who can float forward if necessary. His conditioning has improved tenfold, with his endurance and strength significantly greater than this time last year. He was never far behind Ed in the 200 metre runs, and looks rejuvenated. Build him up at VFL level, let him get his hands on the ball and then see how he goes matching it on the inside. I wouldn’t worry about his production either. Let him get accustomed to his role, and if he gets 15 meaningful touches, we’re seeing progression. Similar to how Essendon are developing Kyle Langford – will take some time, but the results should be very positive. Going to prove a lot of people wrong I think.

Need to temper the expectations on Walsh IMO. He’s definitely AFL ready, but still an 18-year-old finding his way, and still has a lot to learn. Tried to do too much on occasion and was caught a few times standing still trying to evade. I imagine when he started training some of those tricks he had at junior level would have worked, but after a while his teammates can read what he’s going to do. Not a big issue, and clearly he’ll benefit from some increased strength (that being said he’s bulked up tremendously since the Championships – good god) but something I noticed. Had a few nice moments drifting forward and impacting – kicked a goal and was involved in a few nice passages of play. His kicking was better than I expected, although other outside mids outshone him in match simulation. Coughed it up a few times trying to do too much, but has a considerable amount of poise otherwise. Spent a lot of time talking to Cripps too. (As do many of the players, seeking tips and guidance)

Stocker is genuinely big. Strong in the chest and arms, big legs and wouldn’t look out of place as a starting AFL midfielder. Has obviously spent a heap of time in the gym over the past few years, but didn’t seem as unfit as I imagined. Kept up the pace in the 200-metre runs. Still needs to get leaner, but he looks in reasonable shape. Lovely kick too. Also noticeable how loud he was in the drills – certainly has a self-confidence, and without projecting too much, a healthy ego. Likes to enjoy a bit of banter. Not too sure if he starts Round 1, but he doesn’t look far off AFL conditioning.

Our outside mids all look in ripping knick and Murphy’s form in the match sim just about put to bed any suggestion he should be played as a forward this year. Great composure, looked sharp and made some nice handballs in close. Not really needed inside contested situations, but is a vital piece of our midfield. Still a valuable link-up player, and reads the game as good as any in our team. Fisher has taken another step again and was probably the best in the match sim. Nothing out of the usual for him, but his vision and smarts are so far ahead of most. Waits until the perfect moment to distribute, and has no qualms about running around a player if he seems the opportunity. Has some serious dare.

Also loving the progression of SPS. Had this palpable feeling all eyes were on him whenever he had the ball – even during kicking drills – and he’s also looking trim and fit. Covered some serious ground in the match simulation, and rotated forward (along with Fisher and Walsh) and impacted there, kicking a goal and setting up play across half-forward. Like Fisher, evades easily, and spreads well from the contest. Saw him bring the ball back into the middle a couple of times with well-timed kicks. Weights his handballs perfectly too – there were a few occasions he flicked a looping pass over a player into the path of a teammate.

Dow’s an interesting one. Has an almost preternatural ability to find the ball in the contest, but his endurance still seems way off. Was being encouraged by Stanton during the runs, but seemed to be labouring a bit? Had some nice moments in the match sim, but doesn’t seem to engage as much as he can. Another I’m tempering my expectations on, but he might have just had an off session.

Weltering looks primed to take the gorilla defender role. Has bulked up again, and took some nice contested marks, albeit against TDK. Not sure if we’re making the most out of him, but it’s a little hard to gauge until we get into the real stuff. His decision-making, as always, was spot on. Nic Newman already looks like an astute acquisition, and will almost certainly play out the season. Looks super fit and his defensive effort was great.

Kennedy was strong in the contest and has also bulked up considerably, Cuningham had a few nice runs through the middle and Gibbons will almost certainly be signed and played. He’s quite nippy and his skills were reasonable. Cottrell didn’t standout, but I wasn’t looking out for him in particular. O’Dwyer has a really nice kick and didn’t look out of place in match sim either. Seems like we’re shoehorning him into a defensive role, which suits him to a tee. Certainly has some speed off the mark, and can roost the ball. Looks a little unsure, and will take some time to adapt, but there’s definitely a role for him long-term. BSOS also looked in good knick and seems a pretty relaxed dude. Belongs out there.

Fasolo (somewhat obviously) and Polson played as the small forwards for the Probables team. Fasolo, as many have mentioned, was dangerous up forward and we’re going to benefit exponentially from his presence down there. Kicked 2 or 3 goals, and runs to good spots. Polson looks massive, with big shoulders and big back. Still seems to struggle to get involved, but did some very good things when he was. Had a couple of nice touches through the middle, and kicked a goal or two. Worked well with Fisher (?) in the contested drills.

The skills were admittedly a little sloppy, possibly due to the wind and general fatigue from the heat, but good intent from the players none-the-less. Was nice to see so much focus on the contested side of our game, and I think the natural development of Kennedy and Cunners - along with Setterfield when he’s integrated - is going to hold us in really good stead. Was also pretty amusing watching Cripps fend off four players at once on a few occasions. Can’t remember a player dominating the stoppages as well as he does. Even Kouta couldn’t do much of what Cripps does in a pack. I’m stating the obvious, but he’s a special talent. I think Kennedy is ready to step-up in a big way too, so he’s not as overburdened as he has been in the past.

Other than that, good on the CFC for putting on ice-poles for almost three hours. No token 1 Zooper Dooper; unlimited icy-poles. Nice touch in the searing heat. Not to mention killer coffees in the Carlton Café.

FIN.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back