Remove this Banner Ad

Harbrow - R.Thompson - S.Collins
P.Hanley - Hombsch - L.Weller
Murdoch - D.Swallow - Lukoscious
Corbett - S.Day - J.Martin
Ainsworth - P.Wright - Rankine
Witts - W.Brodie - T.Miller

Bench: Fiorini, A.Miles, J.Bowes and whoever else waats to play

Ballard showed great signs and you seem to lack a little across half back. Wont surprise me if we see Jez Mclennan though in round 1

Harbrow - R.Thompson - S.Collins
P.Hanley - Hombsch - L.Weller
Murdoch - D.Swallow - Lukoscious
Corbett - S.Day - J.Martin
Ainsworth - P.Wright - Rankine
Witts - W.Brodie - T.Miller

Bench: Fiorini, A.Miles, J.Bowes and whoever else waats to play

Ballard showed great signs and you seem to lack a little across half back. Wont surprise me if we see Jez Mclennan though in round 1
Pretty good team overall. Ballard on bench at moment for me but early season injuries may cause adjustments. Still a few others that may force their way on to the ground based on pre season form. Interesting times and if they all play up to standard we may even climb the ladder a few notches to the surprise of all down south. Time will tell.

From that pre-season match scrimmage it sounded like Ainsworth did well on a wing, Jack Martin playing on ball (yes please!), Corbett up forward.

From that pre-season match scrimmage it sounded like Ainsworth did well on a wing, Jack Martin playing on ball (yes please!), Corbett up forward.
If Martian asks to go to Essendon next year and they parted with next years first to get Sheil it’s going to be a sh!t fight

If Martian asks to go to Essendon next year and they parted with next years first to get Sheil it’s going to be a sh!t fight
If jack plays in the midfield this year he will show he is worth more than a pick 12? anyway.

Does anyone worry about Jacks size and physicality in the midfield for a full season? Nothing on him but can his body handle it?

A full season on the inside would surely take a toll on his body you would think with all the crash and bash that goes with it.

Ideally he would split his time between midfield/forward line like Dusty/Danger/Fyfe where we can put him 1v1 in the 50 where he would be a difficult match up, but we still take advantage of his skill and class in the middle.

Really want Jack to hit his potential starting this season. Still has the ability to rip the competition open.

Agree but that’s the point Essendon are notorious to deal with and we have laid over in the past (Saad)
I certainly would have preferred Saady to stay at the Suns, but given the circumstances I thought we got a pretty fair deal for him. I highly doubt any other club would have offered more than a second round pick for him even if we had the option to trade him elsewhere.
Compared to some the trades we have been forced to make with other clubs I thought Essendon were relatively fair and professional.

Does anyone worry about Jacks size and physicality in the midfield for a full season? Nothing on him but can his body handle it?
I think he can handle it. Maybe if he is in the middle all season he misses a game or two for recovery. Lets be honest though, he's also one of our most dangerous forwards AND defenders. As soon as somebody goes down injured he will be the first person moved from the midfield to fill the gap.

I can't see Martin full time inside midfielder. Just does not have a body for it. He could split time there with Ainsworth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see Martin full time inside midfielder. Just does not have a body for it. He could split time there with Ainsworth.

I think he's more value to us as an outside mid. Yeah rotating with Benny and Bowesy between wing, HF and the centre would be a nice mix and keep the opposition on their toes.

Sorry to intrude folks. Filtering through each club's best 22's and giving my thoughts as well.

Feedback is appreciated.

FULL BACK: Collins or King (splitting hairs) ~ Thompson ~ Hawbrow
HALF BACK: Hanley ~ Hombsch ~ Weller

WINGS: Ainsworth ~ Swallow
CENTRE: Miles

HALF FWD: Lukosius ~ Corbett ~ Martin
FULL FWD: Rankine ~ Wright ~ Ah Chee

RUCK: Witts
FOLLOWERS: Brodie ~ Miller

INTERCHANGE: Bowes ~ Sexton ~ Fiorini ~ Day

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY: Rischitelli

1ST STRING (No particular order) Horlin Smith ~ Joyce ~ King/Collins ~ Murdoch ~ Ellis ~ Ballard ~ Young ~ Leslie ~ Lemmens ~ Wigg ~ Powell ~ Burgess ~ Crossley ~ Schoenfield ~ Holman ~ McLennan

2ND STRING (No particular order) Scheer ~ Nicholls ~ Heron ~ Nutting ~ Macpherson ~ Graham ~ Dawson

Collins OR King - I've had King as that third tall for a while now but Collins seems to be having a good pre season until a setback. Has senior experience on his side that King hasn't got as much when compared to Collins, and other top 10 picks Lukosius and Rankine. The rest of the back line picks itself, Hombsch in for May.

I've named Swallow on a wing and I've got a theory behind it. I think his best footy especially with some dodgy knee's is away from the inside work. His a good distributor and very classy so having him hit up Lukosius, Corbett and Martin is a good thing. Happy to throw him in the guts also but think his best use would be more outside.

Ainsworth on the other wing just with natural progression. Like others I've heard he has been lighting up the midfield during the pre season and with Jarryd Lyons traded there's an available spot. Have him rotating mid - fwd with Jack Martin.

I've thrown Brodie in the guts. Played his best juniors their and is the right size for the modern midfielder. Miles and Miller compliment him well.

Forward line and Corbett picks himself if he stays injury free. I think Lukosius with his athletic traits is well suited to a third tall / HFF position similar to what Lynch plays at Adelaide and what Gunston did alongside Buddy and Roughead. Have him as an outlet kick from defence pushing largely between the arcs and drifting closer inside 50 to be a marking threat a bit.

Rankine, Martin and Ah Chee will light up the forward line with their smarts and pressure.

Bowes edges out the experience of GHS for a position. Having a good pre season and might get the chance to justify his top end draft tag. Fiorini is an attractor of the ball and can take a wing off Swallow when he rests.

Day I think could become Burgess but he has the runs on the board to justify selection early. Got my fingers crossed for an injury free run for the big guy.

Rischitelli is break glass in case of an emergency. If an experienced player goes down, he along with Murdoch and GHS need to be the front line contenders to replace. Guys with experience and a hardened body.

Sorry to intrude folks. Filtering through each club's best 22's and giving my thoughts as well.

Feedback is appreciated.

FULL BACK: Collins or King (splitting hairs) ~ Thompson ~ Hawbrow
HALF BACK: Hanley ~ Hombsch ~ Weller

WINGS: Ainsworth ~ Swallow
CENTRE: Miles

HALF FWD: Lukosius ~ Corbett ~ Martin
FULL FWD: Rankine ~ Wright ~ Ah Chee

RUCK: Witts
FOLLOWERS: Brodie ~ Miller

INTERCHANGE: Bowes ~ Sexton ~ Fiorini ~ Day

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY: Rischitelli

1ST STRING (No particular order) Horlin Smith ~ Joyce ~ King/Collins ~ Murdoch ~ Ellis ~ Ballard ~ Young ~ Leslie ~ Lemmens ~ Wigg ~ Powell ~ Burgess ~ Crossley ~ Schoenfield ~ Holman ~ McLennan

2ND STRING (No particular order) Scheer ~ Nicholls ~ Heron ~ Nutting ~ Macpherson ~ Graham ~ Dawson

Collins OR King - I've had King as that third tall for a while now but Collins seems to be having a good pre season until a setback. Has senior experience on his side that King hasn't got as much when compared to Collins, and other top 10 picks Lukosius and Rankine. The rest of the back line picks itself, Hombsch in for May.

I've named Swallow on a wing and I've got a theory behind it. I think his best footy especially with some dodgy knee's is away from the inside work. His a good distributor and very classy so having him hit up Lukosius, Corbett and Martin is a good thing. Happy to throw him in the guts also but think his best use would be more outside.

Ainsworth on the other wing just with natural progression. Like others I've heard he has been lighting up the midfield during the pre season and with Jarryd Lyons traded there's an available spot. Have him rotating mid - fwd with Jack Martin.

I've thrown Brodie in the guts. Played his best juniors their and is the right size for the modern midfielder. Miles and Miller compliment him well.

Forward line and Corbett picks himself if he stays injury free. I think Lukosius with his athletic traits is well suited to a third tall / HFF position similar to what Lynch plays at Adelaide and what Gunston did alongside Buddy and Roughead. Have him as an outlet kick from defence pushing largely between the arcs and drifting closer inside 50 to be a marking threat a bit.

Rankine, Martin and Ah Chee will light up the forward line with their smarts and pressure.

Bowes edges out the experience of GHS for a position. Having a good pre season and might get the chance to justify his top end draft tag. Fiorini is an attractor of the ball and can take a wing off Swallow when he rests.

Day I think could become Burgess but he has the runs on the board to justify selection early. Got my fingers crossed for an injury free run for the big guy.

Rischitelli is break glass in case of an emergency. If an experienced player goes down, he along with Murdoch and GHS need to be the front line contenders to replace. Guys with experience and a hardened body.

Could be our best 22 by the end of the year.
Think its very unlikely that King, Rankine, Lukosius are all in the team round 1.

Would highlight that Darcy Macpherson is very well respected and had a fantastic start to last year before an injury in the first half of round 5 ended his season (35% TOG that game).

per game averages (using 4.5 game total)
- 15.3 possessions, 6 tackles, 1.5 tackles inside 50, 0.9 goals - not too shabby for a small forward.

He is borderline best 22 and if not is clear first string reserve.

IF DMac has fully recovered and is back to the shape he was in this time last year (no idea what his status is at the moment?) than he is for sure best 22 in my opinion.

Tough, absolute pitbull in his defensive efforts, does the basics well, plays his role and doesn't try to do too much. He was the one setting the pressure inside forward 50 last year until he went down and it wasn't the same without him. He isnt going to kick 30 goals, but he is the type of player that Dew wants in the forward line creating turnovers for guys like Rankine, Sexton, Martin to swoop and pick up the crumbs.

Nick Holman I guess was the guy to step up in his absence and is more than capable of playing a role if we get a few injuries as another option.

We have quite a few options up forward now that I think about it, and a few are gonna miss out. I think defensive tenacity and effort could play a part in the last 1 or 2 spots being filled. Everyones gonna have to bring their best every game.

If the Bulliten report today is to be believed and the 5 that didn't participate in the intraclub are locks for Rd 1.

I'll also look to include the Bulletin B.O.G Callum Ah Chee into the squad after it looks like he ripped it to shreds today and may have played his way into Rd 1 contention, however, I don't think he would be a lock just quite yet.

I'll bold everyone I believe will be pretty much locks for Rd1, and anyone that remains unbolded is fighting for a place.

My best 22 would be looking something like this:

J.Joyce - R.Thompson - J.Harbrow
P.Hanley -
S.Collins - J.Murdoch
L.Weller - D.Swallow - J.Bowes
J.Martin - P.Wright - A.Sexton
B.Ainsworth
- S.Day - I.Rankine

J.Witts - A.Miles - T.Miller

C.Ah Chee - B.Fiorini - W.Brodie - G.Horlin-Smith

The team is getting harder to pick and I hope come round 1 it is almost impossible. That is a solid competitive team, may not win every game, but will be competitive on the field. As the year rolls on, look for the likes of King, Lukosius and McLennen to get involved.

If the Bulliten report today is to be believed and the 5 that didn't participate in the intraclub are locks for Rd 1.

I'll also look to include the Bulletin B.O.G Callum Ah Chee into the squad after it looks like he ripped it to shreds today and may have played his way into Rd 1 contention, however, I don't think he would be a lock just quite yet.

I'll bold everyone I believe will be pretty much locks for Rd1, and anyone that remains unbolded is fighting for a place.

P.Hanley -
S.Collins - J.Murdoch
B.Ainsworth
- S.Day - I.Rankine

The team is getting harder to pick and I hope come round 1 it is almost impossible. That is a solid competitive team, may not win every game, but will be competitive on the field. As the year rolls on, look for the likes of King, Lukosius and McLennen to get involved.
I would have Bowes in every game he is available along with Ainsworth and Fiorini, but other than that it's very hard to argue with your selections.

P.Hanley -
S.Collins - J.Murdoch
B.Ainsworth
- S.Day - I.Rankine

Depends on who we are playing I think would need someone else that can play on a third tall in defence.
Whilst Joyce is 190cm he really can't.

Would swap out GHS for either Ballard - a third tall defender
or more pace - Macpherson with Ainsworth playing more mid
or third tall forward Corbett - and play Martin more mid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back