Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that trend was already under way before PSY blew up.
Probably not the person to ask but I've always been aware of people very into Japanese culture on the internet but K-Pop specifically really seemed to take off beyond diaspora communities after PSY. SBS put PopAsia on in 2011, PSY ~2012. It happened fairly quickly.

Last edited:

Probably not the person to ask but I've always been aware of people very into Japanese culture on the internet for a while but K-Pop specifically really seemed to take off beyond diaspora communities after PSY. SBS put PopAsia on in 2011, PSY ~2012. It happened fairly quickly.
Thirst for pliant oriental girls.

What were fringe gender narratives of only 10 years ago are now mainstream. There are already proposals to teach indigenous languages in primary schools. Nice, but how about we use our limited public resources to teach maths and English a bit better than what we're already doing.

Teaching Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures is already embedded in the curriculum for English, Maths and Science.

https://www.australiancurriculum.ed...orres-strait-islander-histories-and-cultures/

He is somewhat socially conservative, and his political gripe is with the extreme left. More left wing people should call out those nutjubs. Everyone hates the far right - there really isn't the need to explain what they are doing or the insidious nature that characterises it because we already know.

He has also stated clearly and repeatedly he rails against the far left because coming from academia that’s what he has experienced the most. It also helps that they are completely insane.

Huge burn here from Jonathon Green:

I don't know how Peterson will recover from it.

And in all honesty, I rated Green higher than this. I expect it from the extreme left, but when the moderate left is going down this path then we have a problem.

Never underestimate cowardice and hypocrisy. They’re never in short supply.

243 retweets, 1161 likes. High fives all round in the echo chamber.

In all fairness, he's copped a lot as well. It's not quite in the ballpark of being ratioed, but the vast majority of replies are well and truly in the camp of "how about you actually rebut what he's saying instead of playing the race card".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all fairness, he's copped a lot as well. It's not quite in the ballpark of being ratioed, but the vast majority of replies are well and truly in the camp of "how about you actually rebut what he's saying instead of playing the race card".

There's a whole industry of just just retweeting other people's ideas with a provocative tag line.

So the panel for next Monday night's QandA is:

Dr Jordan Peterson, Controversial Canadian Psychologist and Author

Terri Butler, Shadow Minister for Employment Services

Catherine McGregor, Freelance writer, broadcaster and author

Van Badham, Writer and commentator

https://www.abc.net.au/qanda/

Don't know a lot about them, I think McGregor speaks well and it will be interesting if the discussion guess down the transgender path.

Badham had been ok on The Drum, but will definitely have some clashes there on identity politics.

What are people's thoughts? I'm not so much interested in the panelist beliefs as much as will there be any chance of a decent discussion?

(INB4 it's QandA of course it will be s**t)

So the panel for next Monday night's QandA is:

https://www.abc.net.au/qanda/

Don't know a lot about them, I think McGregor speaks well and it will be interesting if the discussion guess down the transgender path.

Badham had been ok on The Drum, but will definitely have some clashes there on identity politics.

What are people's thoughts? I'm not so much interested in the panelist beliefs as much as will there be any chance of a decent discussion?

(INB4 it's QandA of course it will be s**t)

Of course it will be s**t. Three far left women against a man opposed to the far left. The questions will be geared around fringe subjects such as lobsters and climate change. Tony Jones will interrupt any time Peterson tries to explain himself properly.

It could have been a decent show if Peterson was the only guest.

3264 posts in and we’re yet to see any criticism of Peterson that is not a throw away line.

i.e Crack Pot, Pseudo Intellectual, Internet Guru
It's not a throwaway line, it's a simplest and clearest way to describe him. He holds political and philosophical opinions that are deranged, divorced from fact, requiring the construction of an alternative reality within his mind to explain ie. a crackpot.

Of course it will be s**t. Three far left women against a man opposed to the far left. The questions will be geared around fringe subjects such as lobsters and climate change. Tony Jones will interrupt any time Peterson tries to explain himself properly.

It could have been a decent show if Peterson was the only guest.

Really ? Three far left women ?

Cate McGregor worked for both major political parties and was a senior member of the armed forces. She counted Tony Abbott as a close friend for many years until they had a falling out over the same sex marriage debate and his role in trying to scupper it.

Terri Butler is a stock standard middle of the road Labor politician who spends time on social media criticising The Greens for being idealists as often as she criticises the LNP. Do you think any member of the ALP is far left ? Really ?

Van Badham is a Labor party mouthpiece. She is obnoxious, but not far left. She has a libertarian bent, so may agree with JP on some issues.

Labelling 3 very different people as far left is identity politics gone mad.

Poor choice of people tobe on with JP, I would have thought with the exception of McGregor who is generally impressive speaking on a wide range of subjects.

I generally don't like Q & A as a rule anyway.

It's not a throwaway line, it's a simplest and clearest way to describe him. He holds political and philosophical opinions that are deranged, divorced from fact, requiring the construction of an alternative reality within his mind to explain ie. a crackpot.

Thanks for illustrating my point perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You appear to have some real issues to work thru

I assume smokingjacket may be referring to Jungian archetypes for example? Must admit I don't understand it much but from what I read in his book it does seem to lean more on the side of fantasy than child hard fact.

They were into universal metatheories at the time Marx/Jung/Freud all thought what they were doing was science./

Remove this Banner Ad

Back