Rumour AFL Players Faking Mental Illnesses To Avoid Drug Tests?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a joke but I do remember word of this loophole going around years ago and, as already mentioned, Swanny and a couple other Pies players were rumoured to be practitioners of said loophole. Count me in as someone who doesn't care if players use recreational drugs as long as it doesn't impact performance and they don't go out harming other people as a result. I also wouldn't dare point the finger of accusation at any club because, frankly, it could be ANY club and every team would have more than it's fair share of players using drugs. Anyone who sees these guys out at social functions/clubs/pubs/whatever can see they party as hard as any non-AFL player their age.

If faking mental illness at work meant I was able to carry on having a normal life outside of work, I'd fake mental illness.
You’re not doing it already? I jumped on board years ago

I don't even know why players are tested for recreational drugs. It's a right of passage for young people.As long as it's not performance enhancing who cares what they do in their personal life.
You obviously missed the Collingwood players that have been done for undertaking a ‘rite of passage’

as if it wouldn't happen.. as if you can't weed this out.. as if you need to call the authorities and send a message...

it is corrupt but the personalities will find this out and order a review, and then all the rest will track according to the message...

and then the 'general soreness' will be a method of dire masochistic and rum rebellion which will turn people like Clarko and his
ilk on their heads.. I mean that no coach will be safe.. NO ONE///

It's a joke but I do remember word of this loophole going around years ago and, as already mentioned, Swanny and a couple other Pies players were rumoured to be practitioners of said loophole. Count me in as someone who doesn't care if players use recreational drugs as long as it doesn't impact performance and they don't go out harming other people as a result. I also wouldn't dare point the finger of accusation at any club because, frankly, it could be ANY club and every team would have more than it's fair share of players using drugs. Anyone who sees these guys out at social functions/clubs/pubs/whatever can see they party as hard as any non-AFL player their age.

Its illegal though...

It's probably a club who aren't in the media / rumours for drugs – Freo, Kangas, Dees?

Btw, this story first appeared in the Herald Sun today on the back page. Was brought up again by Fox Sports, SEN and other sporting outlets. It wasn't started by Lyon himself.

Its illegal though...

It is - it's just not something that bothers me. Most illegal drugs are less harmful for you than alcohol. Don't want to derail the topic into a debate on whether drugs should be de-criminalised and I totally accept that the AFL does and should have a policy in keeping with "community standards" which is why I said this current loophole is a joke. I just personally couldn't care less if someone is smoking a joint or snorting a line as long as they're not harming anyone.

It is - it's just not something that bothers me. Most illegal drugs are less harmful for you than alcohol. Don't want to derail the topic into a debate on whether drugs should be de-criminalised and I totally accept that the AFL does and should have a policy in keeping with "community standards" which is why I said this current loophole is a joke. I just personally couldn't care less if someone is smoking a joint or snorting a line as long as they're not harming anyone.

Except the knock on effect it creates in the drug supply chain. But that’s ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said, not going to disrupt the thread with a debate on de-criminalising drugs. The rumours board is for talking nonsense. If you want to judge, judge away.

It’s not judging and its not a debate about decriminalisation. It’s illegal and the impact of using drugs goes far beyond a cheeky toke or line not to mention the mental health implications. Pretty weak argument judgy mcjudgeson.

It’s not judging and its not a debate about decriminalisation. It’s illegal and the impact of using drugs goes far beyond a cheeky toke or line not to mention the mental health implications. Pretty weak argument judgy mcjudgeson.

Thankfully alcohol, which is legal, has no negative ramifications in society. I was doing the opposite of judging you, mate. Don't know why you feel like you have to start a bicker-war over nothing. I'm well aware of the impact drugs have, both negative and positive. I just don't find it to be any worse than the impact alcohol has - and so I don't care if players use recreational drugs just the same as I don't care if they drink in the off-season. If those actions cause them to inflict harm on others, that's when I'll call it out.

Does this have to be a weird debate? Can you not just accept someone has a differing view to you and didn't want to derail the thread. Come on, mate, let's just ridicule the AFL for having a ludicrous sitting-on-the-fence drug-testing system as opposed to taking unnecessary potshots at each other, yeah?

Thankfully alcohol, which is legal, has no negative ramifications in society. I was doing the opposite of judging you, mate. Don't know why you feel like you have to start a bicker-war over nothing. I'm well aware of the impact drugs have, both negative and positive. I just don't find it to be any worse than the impact alcohol has - and so I don't care if players use recreational drugs just the same as I don't care if they drink in the off-season. If those actions cause them to inflict harm on others, that's when I'll call it out.

Does this have to be a weird debate? Can you not just accept someone has a differing view to you and didn't want to derail the thread. Come on, mate, let's just ridicule the AFL for having a ludicrous sitting-on-the-fence drug-testing system as opposed to taking unnecessary potshots at each other, yeah?

Mate take a look in the mirror;

You: “I’m fine players taking illegal drugs”

Me: “but its illegal”

You: “DONT JUDGE ME”

You’re incapable of having an adult discussion about it. That’s weird. End of.

Mate take a look in the mirror;

You: “I’m fine players taking illegal drugs”

Me: “but its illegal”

You: “DONT JUDGE ME”

You’re incapable of having an adult discussion about it. That’s weird. End of.

I'll leave it for others in this thread to read what actually happened (you left out a rather significant chunk, conveniently) and decide for themselves who's being the childish goader here. Have a lovely evening.

I think this "loophole" was designed in the full knowledge of how it would be used. The AFL don't care much about recreational drugs but they care desperately about the perception that they do. This loophole provides a way of having an apparently tough drugs policy without risking the bad optics of players being rubbed out. Win win.

I can't see why they should test for non-PED illegal drugs at all. Should they test for everything else that moral agitators don't approve of? Tests for STDs? cameras in homes to check for physical abuse? Microphones for verbal abuse? Browser history checks? Political correctness panels vetting tweets? Moral agitators can F off.

Sounds like a couple of players actually sat down and read the AFL drug code ;)
I’ve read some stupid posts in my day, mate, but accusing footy players of reading? Jesus. How do you sleep at night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back