Rumour AFL to buy / take control of regional AFL venue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Last game I went to at KP was Geelong vs Collingwood.

Geelong won

Ben Graham was playing in the reserves .

Got there for the last 1/4 of resies saw him kick out from full back city end, the ball landed in the centre ,remember thinking WTF.

Was standing under the scoreboard city end Moorabool st side. Must have been early 90's.

Havn't been able to get in since Geelong started winning and they have all got on the bandwagon.
Ben sure could roost them.

At least there is a train line right next to Mars Stadium. This has been a sticking point between the various key stakeholders in Ballarat and the State Government. The stadium users, various politicians, Ballarat Council and Chamber of Commerce have all clearly stated their case for a new train platform next to Mars Stadium and a major upgrade to its lighting which would honestly transform the way that the place is used.
⬆️Watch this space⬆️.

It's feasible, although Tassie might choose to hang on to the Hawks in order to keep Launceston Stadium ticking over. Also as i have stated previously, Tassie is not completely a done deal yet. They still have to get the new stadium off the ground and it is looking shaky at this point. There is an increasing level of pushback over in Tassie against it. Jeff Kennett wrote a good critique in the HS last week where he questioned why it was the AFL and the AFL only, who put the stipulation that the Tassie franchise was totally conditional on a stadium with a roof. It's a good point. Consider that Sydney has an average of 1175 mm rainfall per year, Brisbane 777 mm, Melbourne 650 mm, Perth 596 mm, Adelaide 588 mm and Canberra 580 mm, while Hobart actually only gets 565 mm. These figures aren't a misprint. So what is the rationale for an expensive roof over a new stadium in Hobart? Is it really a tactic by the AFL to ensure that a Tassie franchise was always never going to get off the ground?
Perceived comfort? Warmth? Would the AFL have surveyed local and interstate fans who did and didn't travel to gauge likely attendances? The bigger Vic clubs get 5-8k travelling up to Gold Coast games. Tassie is also appealing and it's a 60 minute flight.

Or maybe it's a flex like NRL did in Townsville

Perceived comfort? Warmth? Would the AFL have surveyed local and interstate fans who did and didn't travel to gauge likely attendances? The bigger Vic clubs get 5-8k travelling up to Gold Coast games. Tassie is also appealing and it's a 60 minute flight.

Or maybe it's a flex like NRL did in Townsville
Well if it's the AFL, and the AFL only who are insisting on a roof, then they should damn well pay for it (the roof that is). So far they've done a pretty good snow job at getting the tax payers of Australia paying for this endeavour. Not much real enthusiasm at all from the AFL in terms of dollar investment when compared to their other recent pet start up franchises in Western Sydney and SE Queensland. As I said earlier, it's like they secretly don't want Tasmania as a separate enterprise at all. :(

Well.... it's flipping freezing in Hobart.
Roof or no roof, it's still going to be cold inside the stadium unless they plan to heat it too. Besides, it's football ... You know, a winter game. ;) Remember a time when we used to go to the football and wear winter clothes like coats, scarfs, beenies and gloves. We'd keep warm by eating hot food and drinks or have an alcoholic bevvy to warm up the system. Who needs a roof? Clearly Marvel Stadium has a lot to answer for. It's made people soft.

I live in Geelong, and it gets jolly cold and wet down there too. In Winter, not a lot unlike Hobart. Yet nobody suggested putting a roof on the "cattery" during its rebuild over the last ten years. :think:

They should buy an oval in Broome and have Freo play 6 there and 6 at Optus Stadium
That would be silly with freo being one of only 4 teams to ave over 40k at home for the 2022 and 2023 season.
My wife’s family are multi generational dogs supporters.
They have no affiliation to Docklands.
friends down Geelong way are doggies as well.
Being the “Western” bulldogs and ave home attendance under 30 it could be an opportunity to have a more of a home ground like non vic teams and you’d pick up all the non cat supporters down that way.
Create a Rivalry like cats and dogs.
There was no intended malice in my opinion.
Sorry if I offended you

I’d be more than happy to play Geelong at Kardinia Park.

Is there an official Geelong club position on playing ALL home games at KP? This would include vs Collingwood. Plus what happens to Easter Monday vs Hawthorn?
Yeah we ask for all home games at Kardinia every year but no one listens. Afl house makes too much money off us.

That would be silly with freo being one of only 4 teams to ave over 40k at home for the 2022 and 2023 season.
My wife’s family are multi generational dogs supporters.
They have no affiliation to Docklands.
friends down Geelong way are doggies as well.
Being the “Western” bulldogs and ave home attendance under 30 it could be an opportunity to have a more of a home ground like non vic teams and you’d pick up all the non cat supporters down that way.
Create a Rivalry like cats and dogs.
There was no intended malice in my opinion.
Sorry if I offended you

Nobody is going to Geelong to play home games... it's Cats territory, always has been, always will be, there's no point trying to shoehorn others in there, it would just be a failure. The Geelong people won't take to them, and it pisses off the clubs supporters who need to go from Melbourne to Geelong for a home game.

The AFL went incredibly hard on ground rationalisation 30 years ago which has left them with this predicament for many smaller-drawing games, and this isn't going to change as there's so many interstate sides in the comp now (with a 19th and perhaps even a 20th coming), who have no supporters in Melbourne and thus don't provide away fans in attendance.

For a club like the Dogs, a ground that holds up to 25k would be perfect for 3-5 games per year against interstate sides... you could build it cheaper while modernising an old suburban ground with modern, covered seating right around the ground.

It wouldn't be a world-class stadium like the MCG but it would be profitable, cost effective and I'm willing to bet a hit with supporters who have their own patch where they'd create a real home ground vibe for a few games each year.

Whitten Oval would be great, it's a short train trip from the city then a two-minute walk to the ground.

Nobody is going to Geelong to play home games... it's Cats territory, always has been, always will be, there's no point trying to shoehorn others in there, it would just be a failure. The Geelong people won't take to them, and it pisses off the clubs supporters who need to go from Melbourne to Geelong for a home game.

The AFL went incredibly hard on ground rationalisation 30 years ago which has left them with this predicament for many smaller-drawing games, and this isn't going to change as there's so many interstate sides in the comp now (with a 19th and perhaps even a 20th coming), who have no supporters in Melbourne and thus don't provide away fans in attendance.

For a club like the Dogs, a ground that holds up to 25k would be perfect for 3-5 games per year against interstate sides... you could build it cheaper while modernising an old suburban ground with modern, covered seating right around the ground.

It wouldn't be a world-class stadium like the MCG but it would be profitable, cost effective and I'm willing to bet a hit with supporters who have their own patch where they'd create a real home ground vibe for a few games each year.

Whitten Oval would be great, it's a short train trip from the city then a two-minute walk to the ground.
They would be sharing a game day base not trying to steal cats supportes houses.
The stadium deserves more than 10 games a year especially with the amount of tax dollars sunk into infrastructure.
Look of the size of greater Geelong and surrounds compared to the territory that north dogs and bombers share.
Just a thought I understand your rationale.

I love playing Geelong at KP. Always get to have a meal at The Hot Chicken Project on the way to the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They request large attendance games at MGC every year.

Google it.
I just did. Geelong was requesting 11 home games a year up until the AFL drew up the MCG agreement with state gov that specifically and contractually precluded them from doing so and so they stopped asking and tried to make the best of a bad situation.

Perhaps read more than the headline next time and stop pretending Geelong wants home games anywhere but Geelong.

They request large attendance games at MGC every year.

Google it.
  • Geelong makes over $1M a game at Kardinia Park
  • AFL says you must host two games at the MCG every year because contract
  • Geelong says then at least make them against large drawing clubs so we don't lose as much money
And then people twist the last point into Geelong requesting these games be at the MCG.

Geelong will again request to play all 11 home games at GMHBA Stadium in 2020, declaring it will “not relent” its lobbying of the AFL.

The Cats received nine matches at Kardinia Park this year, but have written to the league mounting their case for a full complement of true home games next year.

The club is hopeful the AFL will schedule a big-drawing Melbourne club in Geelong, but chief executive Brian Cook acknowledged the league’s contractual arrangements with the Melbourne Cricket Club may prevent that occurring.

While there has been some talk from commentators that Geelong should request more matches at the MCG to better prepare for finals football, Cook said the Cats were not going to be pressured to move games from their traditional home venue.

“Our position, and what we have said to the AFL, is ideally we want to play 11 games at GMHBA Stadium and we are not going to relent on this,” Cook told the Geelong Advertiser.

“They think we are going to relent on this because they think we are kidding, but we are not — we want 11 games down at GMHBA.”

• Geelong makes over $1M a game at Kardinia Park
  • AFL says you must host two games at the MCG every year because contract
  • Geelong says then at least make them against large drawing clubs so we don't lose as much money
And then people twist the last point into Geelong requesting these games be at the MCG.
I think that partially misrepresents the government's contract with the AFL. At least as it was written in the mid-2000s, it requires 10 of the best 12 home-and-away games to be played at the MCG, and at least 45 home-and-away games to be played there. Geelong isn't a tenant club so isn't specifically subject to the deal. The contract has been adjusted and extended since, but I believe those conditions remain largely intact. The bulk of the required number of games is fulfilled by tenant club home matches anyway, but as long as Geelong keep playing well and drawing crowds, games like Easter Monday or Geelong v Collingwood are probably gonna run into the 10 out of the best 12 game barrier depending on what metric is used.

The AFL also doesn't seem to like Victorian clubs playing all their home games at a single ground, with even big one-venue sides like Collingwood/Melbourne/Richmond all playing at least one or two home games across town or interstate. Geelong being forced into playing a couple of games away from home is hardly specific to that club.

I just did. Geelong was requesting 11 home games a year up until the AFL drew up the MCG agreement with state gov that specifically and contractually precluded them from doing so and so they stopped asking and tried to make the best of a bad situation.

Perhaps read more than the headline next time and stop pretending Geelong wants home games anywhere but Geelong.
Well it sucks to be your club then.

When I converse with Geelong supporters I always hear the tune of "pop goes the weasel" in the background.

Last edited:
They would be sharing a game day base not trying to steal cats supportes houses.
The stadium deserves more than 10 games a year especially with the amount of tax dollars sunk into infrastructure.
Look of the size of greater Geelong and surrounds compared to the territory that north dogs and bombers share.
Just a thought I understand your rationale.

I agree that the stadium could be used more - the AFL could give us more games there for a start - but no Vic club is viable in Geelong except Geelong. It's like saying Fremantle should play home games in Adelaide.

I agree that the stadium could be used more - the AFL could give us more games there for a start - but no Vic club is viable in Geelong except Geelong. It's like saying Fremantle should play home games in Adelaide.
Not quite because half our supporters would drive the Geelong to Footscray distance every home game.
Freo to adelaide is a bit of a stretch to drive return every second week.
It’s a touch over the hour by train or car from Footscray.
Seems to always be a good cat contingent at the G

Not quite because half our supporters would drive the Geelong to Footscray distance every home game.
Freo to adelaide is a bit of a stretch to drive return every second week.
It’s a touch over the hour by train or car from Footscray.
Seems to always be a good cat contingent at the G

I highly doubt the majority of Dogs fans actually live in Footscray, but it takes minutes to get to Docklands on the train. Anyway as Bunk pointed out Geelong is not viable it's a one team town.

Geelong have a pretty strong supporter base in Melbourne.

Geelong's closer than Ballarat.

The train to Ballarat from Southern Cross is around 1hr30 to 1hr 40. From Geelong to Southern Cross an hour. South Geelong station is a few hundred metres from the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back