Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Big Board (November)

1. Matthew Rowell (178cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)
2. Noah Anderson (188cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)
3. Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from SA)
4. Hayden Young (188cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
5. Tom Green (188cm, 85kg from NSW/ACT)
6. Will Gould (191cm, 98kg from SA)
7. Lachlan Ash (186cm, 80kg from Vic Country)
8. Finn Maginness (187cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)
9. Luke Jackson (198cm, 94kg from WA)
10. Liam Henry (179cm, 67kg from WA)

11. Brodie Kemp (192cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
12. Deven Robertson (182cm, 80kg from WA)
13. Cameron Taheny (185cm, 80kg from SA)
14. Fischer McAsey (195cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)
15. Elijah Taylor (185cm, 75kg from WA)
16. Sam Flanders (182cm, 81kg from Vic Country)
17. Caleb Serong (178cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
18. Will Day (187cm, 70kg from SA)
19. Jeremy Sharp (187cm, 79kg from WA)
20. Karl Finlay (192cm, 88kg from SA)

21. Kysaiah Pickett (170cm, 67kg from SA)
22. Mitch Georgiades (192cm, 80kg from WA)
23. Cody Weightman (177cm, 73kg from Vic Country)
24. Cooper Stephens (188cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
25. Miles Bergman (186cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
26. Trent Rivers (188cm, 85kg from WA)
27. Darcy Cassar (183cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
28. Josh Worrell (195cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)
29. Jackson Mead (184cm, 83kg from SA)
30. Trent Bianco (178cm, 70kg from Vic Metro)

31. Dyson Hilder (196cm, 91kg from SA)
32. Dylan Williams (185cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
33. Harrison Jones (194cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
34. Harry Schoenberg (180cm, 78kg from SA)
35. Sam DeKoning (200cm, 85kg from Vic Country)
36. Hugo Ralphsmith (188cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
37. Cooper Sharman (190cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)
38. Sam Philp (185cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
39. Callum Jamieson (200cm, 81kg from WA)
40. Thomson Dow (183cm, 72kg from Vic Country)

41. Mitch O’Neill (181cm, 70kg from Tasmania)
42. Jay Rantall (184cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
43. Joshua Shute (187cm, 73kg from SA)
44. Jake Pasini (192cm, 81kg from WA)
45. Charlie Comben (199cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
46. Callum Park (188cm, 67kg from SA)
47. Flynn Perez (187cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
48. Trey Ruscoe (190cm, 90kg from WA)
49. Brock Smith (188cm, 81kg from Vic Country)
50. Jai Jackson (185cm, 80kg from WA)

51. Nick Bryan (202cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
52. Liam Delahunty (192cm, 90kg from NSW/ACT)
53. Riley Garcia (176cm, 70kg from WA)
54. Tyrone Thorne (167cm, 60kg from WA)
55. Fraser Phillips (187cm, 72kg from Vic Country)
56. Ben Johnson (180cm, 65kg from WA)
57. Ned Cahill (178cm, 77kg from Vic Country)
58. Josh Morris (186cm, 76kg from SA)
59. Jack Mahony (177cm, 71kg from Vic Metro)
60. Josh Honey (184cm, 85kg from Vic Metro)

Last edited:
SA Draft Notes (Feb)
Fresh off a remarkable draft year and an U18 Championships win, South Australia will be looking to go back to back. But that win will likely come on the back of a solid team effort, as opposed to individual brilliance. We won't be seeing the same dizzying heights as last year with three top 5 draft picks, but there are a handful of names that should feature across all levels of the draft.

While the U18 system is getting a nation wide overhaul, SA will be led by three familiar names to draft watchers...

For mine, the #1 prospect is Cameron Taheny from Norwood. And that's not just from SA, but in the mix for the #1 spot overall. The 184cm and 72kg flanker is as talented as anyone in the draft pool, and can do things in the forward half that few others his size can. He's too strong in the air and on the lead for similarly sized defenders, but he's too good on the ground for key defenders. Highlighted by a 24 disposal, 12 mark and 8 goal game last year in the SANFL U18s. He's also shown an ability to play off half back too, using his long kick to good effect. Shapes as a similar prospect to Connor Rozee, the next step for 2019 will be to improve his body strength and running to make the move into the midfield.

Next up and likely to lead the midfield for SA is another Norwood kid in Dylan Stephens. He might not be talked up as much as others at the moment, but he's a very good prospect and has performed well in big moments. At 182cm and 70kg, he can stand to put on a bit of muscle and size still. But his strength is in his running ability, and the new zone rule should see his draft stocks rise quickly - he'd have to be odds on to take out the testing at the draft combine. Some of his best work has been out on the wings, starting the play in the back half and then finishing off in front of goals. But he can go inside too, and in doing so almost won the preliminary final for Norwood off his own back last year in the U18s.

The third player I have a first round grade on is Will Gould and I think most people will remember him from the Championships last year. Despite being an underaged player, he was a man amongst boys at times. Standing 191cm and 98kg, he put his size to good use in the back half. There's a tendency with these kids to say they're just more physically developed than others, but he was named to the All Australian side for a reason. He reads the play very well, is a strong mark and has a super kick on him. Also played a fair amount up forward before last season too, I suspect we'll see more of that this year too.

One player who could join those three is Port Adelaide F/S option Jackson Mead. I have him firmly in the second round at the moment, but some have him slightly higher. And after a BOG performance in the SANFL U18 Grand Final, he could well push up into the first round with more games like that. Around the 182cm and 82kg mark, he generally plays as a midfielder pushing forward. And had 21 disposals, 5 inside 50s and 4 goals in that grand final. Quite a solid build, he's a composed player and makes his touches count.

Of course, F/S and Academy players always tend to get talked about more than others. And there are a couple for each of the SA teams. Alongside Mead, Port Adelaide have Trent Burgoyne in the mix. I was a little surprised when he was named in the initial squad for SA last year. He didn't make the final squad, but being the youngest player named says something about him. He does have similiarities with his dad Peter, smooth moving outside midfielder/flanker with speed and got better as the season went on last year. Not to be left out, Adelaide have Daniel Sladojevic in their Academy. The 192cm key forward kicked 40 goals in 15 matches last year, strong body and a big kick. Typically plays from the goal square. Should feature as part of the SA attack this year.

When it comes to talls, possibly the best this year for SA will be the defender Karl Finlay. I expect he'll be the #1 defender, allowing Gould to play a more attacking role. At 192cm and 88kg, Finlay excels in the air both with his intercept marks and spoiling. He was also named in the futures game last year and the SA MVP in the 2017 U16 Championships.

I've got to stop listing players at some stage, but it would be remiss of me to not mention Jed McEntee from Sturt. Arguably one of the best midfielders in SA and probably the whole draft, but he's another one of those players that draft writers will be saying ''I wish he was 5cm taller''. At 177cm, he's not too small by any means but it'll likely impact his draft stocks to a degree. About as consistent a player as you'll see, he was named to the bests in nearly every game last year. Expect him to start in the middle for SA at the Championships.

And just a quick note on the underaged players; there is a lot to like. Corey Durdin is a super talented midfielder and took home the medal for best Div 1 player at the U16 Championships last year. Meanwhile Sinderberry, Thilthorpe, Edwards, Baldwin and Schofield all made the All Australian team too.

Last edited:
Fresh off a remarkable draft year and an U18 Championships win, South Australia will be looking to go back to back. But that win will likely come on the back of a solid team effort, as opposed to individual brilliance. We won't be seeing the same dizzying heights as last year with three top 5 draft picks, but there are a handful of names that should feature across all levels of the draft.

While the U18 system is getting a nation wide overhaul, SA will be led by three familiar names to draft watchers...

For mine, the #1 prospect is Cameron Taheny from Norwood. And that's not just from SA, but in the mix for the #1 spot overall. The 184cm and 72kg flanker is as talented as anyone in the draft pool, and can do things in the forward half that few others his size can. He's too strong in the air and on the lead for similarly sized defenders, but he's too good on the ground for key defenders. Highlighted by a 24 disposal, 12 mark and 8 goal game last year in the SANFL U18s. He's also shown an ability to play off half back too, using his long kick to good effect. Shapes as a similar prospect to Connor Rozee, the next step for 2019 will be to improve his body strength and running to make the move into the midfield.

Next up and likely to lead the midfield for SA is another Norwood kid in Dylan Stephens. He might not be talked up as much as others at the moment, but he's a very good prospect and has performed well in big moments. At 182cm and 70kg, he can stand to put on a bit of muscle and size still. But his strength is in his running ability, and the new zone rule should see his draft stocks rise quickly - he'd have to be odds on to take out the testing at the draft combine. Some of his best work has been out on the wings, starting the play in the back half and then finishing off in front of goals. But he can go inside too, and in doing so almost won the preliminary final for Norwood off his own back last year in the U18s.

The third player I have a first round grade on is Will Gould and I think most people will remember him from the Championships last year. Despite being an underaged player, he was a man amongst boys at times. Standing 191cm and 98kg, he put his size to good use in the back half. There's a tendency with these kids to say they're just more physically developed than others, but he was named to the All Australian side for a reason. He reads the play very well, is a strong mark and has a super kick on him. Also played a fair amount up forward before last season too, I suspect we'll see more of that this year too.

One player who could join those three is Port Adelaide F/S option Jackson Mead. I have him firmly in the second round at the moment, but some have him slightly higher. And after a BOG performance in the SANFL U18 Grand Final, he could well push up into the first round with more games like that. Around the 182cm and 82kg mark, he generally plays as a midfielder pushing forward. And had 21 disposals, 5 inside 50s and 4 goals in that grand final. Quite a solid build, he's a composed player and makes his touches count.

Of course, F/S and Academy players always tend to get talked about more than others. And there are a couple for each of the SA teams. Alongside Mead, Port Adelaide have Trent Burgoyne in the mix. I was a little surprised when he was named in the initial squad for SA last year. He didn't make the final squad, but being the youngest player named says something about him. He does have similiarities with his dad Peter, smooth moving outside midfielder/flanker with speed and got better as the season went on last year. Not to be left out, Adelaide have Daniel Sladojevic in their Academy. The 192cm key forward kicked 40 goals in 15 matches last year, strong body and a big kick. Typically plays from the goal square. Should feature as part of the SA attack this year.

When it comes to talls, possibly the best this year for SA will be the defender Karl Finlay. I expect he'll be the #1 defender, allowing Gould to play a more attacking role. At 192cm and 88kg, Finlay excels in the air both with his intercept marks and spoiling. He was also named in the futures game last year and the SA MVP in the 2017 U16 Championships.

I've got to stop listing players at some stage, but it would be remiss of me to not mention Jed McEntee from Sturt. Arguably one of the best midfielders in SA and probably the whole draft, but he's another one of those players that draft writers will be saying ''I wish he was 5cm taller''. At 177cm, he's not too small by any means but it'll likely impact his draft stocks to a degree. About as consistent a player as you'll see, he was named to the bests in nearly every game last year. Expect him to start in the middle for SA at the Championships.

And just a quick note on the underaged players; there is a lot to like. Corey Durdin is a super talented midfielder and took home the medal for best Div 1 player at the U16 Championships last year. Meanwhile Sinderberry, Thilthorpe, Edwards, Baldwin and Schofield all made the All Australian team too.

Thilthorpe is the 1 and the best kid in Australia for his age IMHO. 200cm brilliant below his knees and runs around a 6.15 2k and 3.00 20m. He is elite in every sense of the word and will be the number 1 ruck for SA as a bottom ager this year. Ripping kid as well!

Thilthorpe is the 1 and the best kid in Australia for his age IMHO. 200cm brilliant below his knees and runs around a 6.15 2k and 3.00 20m. He is elite in every sense of the word and will be the number 1 ruck for SA as a bottom ager this year. Ripping kid as well!

I didn't want to go into too much detail about the 2020 kids just yet...but Thilthorpe is certainly looking the goods. Super in the U16s last year and should feature heavily this year too. I was putting together what a best 22 of the Academy players would look like, and I was trying not to include too many of the underaged kids. But realistically all 8 would be deserving of being named.

I didn't want to go into too much detail about the 2020 kids just yet...but Thilthorpe is certainly looking the goods. Super in the U16s last year and should feature heavily this year too. I was putting together what a best 22 of the Academy players would look like, and I was trying not to include too many of the underaged kids. But realistically all 8 would be deserving of being named.

Yep it is a stacked year! Could rival last year which is crazy only two years on from almost undoubtedly the most talented bunch to come through in my memory!

Mead looks really good but I watched him and he plays incredibly similar to pre-draft jimmy Toumpas. That waiting outside packs for the handpass is pure jimmy. Hopefully mead has the ability to win the first ball rather than second touch with a receive.

Love Gould. A lot of defenders rebound , 1 on 1 defend, use the ball well. Not many that I see can use all three. In the school champ game or whatever it’s called he was forward then I saw him burst out of clearances at ball ups around the ground. Love him as a third tall in the afl.

Haven’t seen Burgoyne yet. Appears to be a rookie / late pick?

Pickett makes you fall in love with football again. Small, but hits hard. And man he is fast. He makes fast people look like they are running backwards fast. I want him to be nicknamed cannonball.

Will taj Schofield be a part of the starting midfield?

Also it looks like the standard SA midfield again with lots of sub 177cms again. Last year was a fluke size wise.

I guess I can see why you'd think Toumpas when watching Mead, but playing outside is often just part of playing as an underager. Midfields get build around the 'older' 18 year olds coming back, and the 17 year olds slot in on a flank. But I think we'll see more of Mead winning his own ball this year, just needs to be given the chance. Although even then, Mead has shown himself to be a dangerous forward option and is good in the air for someone his size. So that's a versatility that Toumpas never had and he could end up being drafted as a forward alone.

I'd have Burgoyne as a late/rookie pick, but he has genuine speed which always appeals to clubs. Could certainly work his way up with a good year. A comparison from last year would be Toby Bedford, an NGA prospect who was drafted late to Melbourne. Was talked up as being a potential earlier pick.

Schofield would more than likely fit into the forward half if he sees any game time I imagine. Probably competing with the likes of Pickett and O'Brien. But having come across from WA, he's not one I've seen a lot of.

As for the height in the midfield, I'm sure a few will have grown by the time the Championships comes around. Plus others players will be added to the mix.

Keep an eye on Leek Aleer from Central districts. Sudanese kid playing in a league trial tomorrow. Has a massive leap (pole had to be adjusted at testing a few weeks ago). Not in squad but wouldn't be surprised to see him added.

I guess I can see why you'd think Toumpas when watching Mead, but playing outside is often just part of playing as an underager. Midfields get build around the 'older' 18 year olds coming back, and the 17 year olds slot in on a flank. But I think we'll see more of Mead winning his own ball this year, just needs to be given the chance. Although even then, Mead has shown himself to be a dangerous forward option and is good in the air for someone his size. So that's a versatility that Toumpas never had and he could end up being drafted as a forward alone.

I'd have Burgoyne as a late/rookie pick, but he has genuine speed which always appeals to clubs. Could certainly work his way up with a good year. A comparison from last year would be Toby Bedford, an NGA prospect who was drafted late to Melbourne. Was talked up as being a potential earlier pick.

Schofield would more than likely fit into the forward half if he sees any game time I imagine. Probably competing with the likes of Pickett and O'Brien. But having come across from WA, he's not one I've seen a lot of.

As for the height in the midfield, I'm sure a few will have grown by the time the Championships comes around. Plus others players will be added to the mix.

I reckon Cooper Horsnell is a smokie to play as an under ager. Kid is small but he is so silky smooth and full of class with ball in hand. His skills are just about perfect and already has perfectly executed look away kicks to the best option seemingly out of a normal person vision. Think he kicked 3 or 4 in the reserves trial on the weekend

What are your opinions on Adelaide NGA prospects (Sladojevik, and Lochowiak I think)?
For some reason Anzac isn't in our NGA. Both him and his brother were listed, but didn't turn out to be eligible.
I like Anzac better than Daniel from what I have seen. Anzac reminds me of a Daniel Roden type. Quite solid, but has some moves on him.
Would play that half forward flank role I think.
Daniel has been able to dominate at times due to his size relative to those he was playing against. Not sure he has enough weapons to really become elite. He isn't tall enough, quick enough, agile enough for AFL. Kinda like the Darcy (not Fog) and Hugo of the last few years.
Will have to wait until the Nationals, and more importantly see if he can get some results against men in the reserves and seniors.

For some reason Anzac isn't in our NGA. Both him and his brother were listed, but didn't turn out to be eligible.
I like Anzac better than Daniel from what I have seen. Anzac reminds me of a Daniel Roden type. Quite solid, but has some moves on him.
Daniel has been able to dominate at times due to his size relative to those he was playing against. Not sure he has enough weapons to really become elite. He isn't tall enough, quick enough, agile enough for AFL. Kinda like the Darcy (not Fog) and Hugo of the last few years.
Will have to wait until the Nationals, and more importantly see if he can get some results against men in the reserves and seniors.

The same reason we couldn’t take milera ? Are they country zoned or in the country zone for long enough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon you might end up being surprised with Slads. A natural footbaler who will be the same height as Hurley by the time he is AFL age. Also he is pretty elite from an endurance perspective for someone his size. Lastly no one will be more impressive from a work ethic and determination to make it sense. Talent might get you there but character keeps you there and he has loads and loads of the later and enough of the former.

Jamie Coff is the real smokey I think. Could end up a top twenty at the end of the year

Reckon you might end up being surprised with Slads. A natural footbaler who will be the same height as Hurley by the time he is AFL age. Also he is pretty elite from an endurance perspective for someone his size. Lastly no one will be more impressive from a work ethic and determination to make it sense. Talent might get you there but character keeps you there and he has loads and loads of the later and enough of the former.
I hope I will be. I have seen him used as a defender in some U18 games, and that might be where he ends up.

Round 1

League
Will Gould - 24 touches, 3 marks, 11 rebound 50s
Oliver Grivell - 10 touches, 4 marks

Reserves
Anzac Lochowiak - 24 touches, 9 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal
Jed McEntee - 21 touches, 9 tackles, 5 clearances
Joshua Shute - 13 touches, 7 marks, 5 inside 50s, 4 rebound 50s
Dylan Stephens - 36 touches, 12 clearances, 1 goal
Cameron Taheny - 16 touches, 9 marks, 3 inside 50s, 1 goal
Damon Freitag - 11 touches, 5 marks, 7 hitouts, 2 goals
Daniel Sladojevic - 6 touches, 3 marks, 1 goal
Oliver Shaw - 11 touches, 5 tackles, 5 rebound 50s
Jackson Mead - 26 touches, 6 clearances, 7 inside 50s, 1 goal
Kysaiah Pickett - 16 touches, 3 tackles, 6 goals

Hard to go past Kysaiah Pickett with his 6 goals as being the best of the Reserves players this week, along with Dylan Stephens of course.

U18s
Harrison Magor - 28 touches, 7 tackles, 13 clearances, 4 inside 50s
Lachlan McNeil - 25 touches, 8 tackles, 12 clearances, 1 goal
Jamie Coff - 10 touches, 7 marks, 15 hitouts, 4 goals
Corey Durdin - 16 touches, 9 clearances, 6 inside 50s
Zachary Dumesny - 17 touches, 5 marks, 3 rebound 50s
Will Day - 35 touches, 11 marks, 5 tackles, 7 rebound 50s
Jye Sinderberry - 19 touches, 5 marks, 3 rebound 50s
Cooper Horsnell - 16 touches, 4 tackles, 1 goal

Keep an eye on Harrison Magor this year, I suspect he'll feature at the Championships for SA through the midfield and half back. Jamie Coff is another who could be an important player up forward.

Round 1

League

Reserves

Hard to go past Kysaiah Pickett with his 6 goals as being the best of the Reserves players this week, along with Dylan Stephens of course.

U18s

Keep an eye on Harrison Magor this year, I suspect he'll feature at the Championships for SA through the midfield and half back. Jamie Coff is another who could be an important player up forward.
Good to see Gould do so well in the seniors, doesn’t have to be a 195cm key defender to be a highly rated prospect. Pickett with 6 goals is also promising and I don’t think his height should factor too much for him going top 30 aswell.

Round 1

League

Reserves

U18s

How does Pickett rate against Rankine in ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back