Up the Coasters Eagles are the 2018 premiers!!!!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Worth a read, Goodys take on the GF:
Grand final was the real lesson for the Demons: Goodwin
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...n-for-the-demons-goodwin-20190307-p512hl.html

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin drew more lessons from watching West Coast in the grand final than watching the Eagles beat his team in the preliminary final.
........you see the grand final you see the ability of West Coast to handle those moments in the ultimate game is something you certainly learn from and admire and it’s something we are continuing to work towards,” Goodwin said.

there's more ...

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Worth a read, Goodys take on the GF:
Grand final was the real lesson for the Demons: Goodwin
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...n-for-the-demons-goodwin-20190307-p512hl.html

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin drew more lessons from watching West Coast in the grand final than watching the Eagles beat his team in the preliminary final.
........you see the grand final you see the ability of West Coast to handle those moments in the ultimate game is something you certainly learn from and admire and it’s something we are continuing to work towards,” Goodwin said.

there's more ...

Was just about to post this -thought it was a good observation. It made me wonder whether all the heart-stopping games we've had in recent years (e.g. just about every time we play Port) have actually helped in making the team cool under pressure.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Water2.PNG

Waterman.PNG

Moment from 2018 that I feel didn't get enough attention: Waterman's hanger against Hawthorn.

Absolute screamer

Would've been in MOTY conversation if it was a higher profile name.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep always thought this, he was already thinking about spinning around the player before he completed the mark too clever for his own good there unfortunately, similar to Darling in the final minute spending it before he had it.

Was also surprised about Ryan getting widely bagged for having a bad game. Was instrumental in Hutchings goal, JK's awesome snap goal, and Sheeds. Also his sweet shirtfront on Maynard really made a line in the sand statement for the team. He's only a first year player FFS! Really hope he can stay on track and realise his full potential.
He saw the player coming and lost focus, there's no denying that. It was very different to Darling for example who literally looked towards goal before the ball was in his hand.

I don't think anyone bagged Ryan for having a bad game, he stood up in big moments, but he definitely heard footsteps and was possibly expecting retribution for the Maynard bump he had delivered, so it was probably heavy on his mind.

Players have bad moments, it happens. He was still a vital part of us winning.

Whoah. That's hit me in the feels in every possible way. Magic.
How good is it?

Amazing

The Sheed footage - from East Perth Colours to that moment, yeah I may have welled up a little

Last edited:

Mudguts12

All Australian
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He saw the player coming and lost focus, there's no denying that. It was very different to Darling for example who literally looked towards goal before the ball was in his hand.

I don't think anyone bagged Ryan for having a bad game, he stood up in big moments, but he definitely heard footsteps and was possibly expecting retribution for the Maynard bump he had delivered, so it was probably heavy on his mind.

Players have bad moments, it happens. He was still a vital part of us winning.
Appreciate your thoughts wce4premiership 👍 though imo Ryan was aware of the player and strategized accordingly but dropped the mark getting to far ahead of himself - it wasn't due to any cowardice / hearing footsteps.
I'm really hoping to see Watson debut in round 1 he looks to have some nice tricks in his game. Maybe OAllen might come in for JK playing HF but would more likely be Waterman I think.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Ha, came in here to post the exact same thing, that was epic. Can't wait for the 20th when the full thing is on.

Pretty sure this is seperate to flying high, this one was produced by the AFL not Foxtel

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s really awesome that all the news articles around the AFL start time have the picture of Simmo and Hurn holding up that magnificent cup. Just beautiful.

And that video.... Goosebumps.

Still can’t believe how it all fell into place for us. Our resilience was off the charts last year.

Back