Autopsy Collingwood v Geelong, Rd 1 2019: Disappointing loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesnt need alot of the ball to be damaging from CHB.

Imagine when he starts having 10 marks and 25 disposal games.

It’s kind of crazy we never did that.
50,000 or 60,000 would be so ideal and good transport.

Oh and keep the name as Victoria Park.

Wasn’t the main reason we moved because the council wouldn’t allow it? I can only imagine the mayhem of 60k people rolling into my neighbourhood for five hours every fortnight. I’m already on edge when there is a party in the next street haha.

That said, a lot of local business would have been gone over night with the clubs move to the MCG.

Wasn’t the main reason we moved because the council wouldn’t allow it? I can only imagine the mayhem of 60k people rolling into my neighbourhood for five hours every fortnight. I’m already on edge when there is a party in the next street haha.

That said, a lot of local business would have been gone over night with the clubs move to the MCG.
The council was no friend.

Always felt it was sheer bloody mindedness.

A good few hours about 7, 8, 9 times a year, lots of little businesses pulling in some extra dollars.

But won’t happen now.

I’m a bit sad the AFL got rid of VFL park.
Really good second venue.
Very open and big ground, opened up the game.

Couldn’t agree more with the votes. Most of our players were inconsistent for four quarters. Only Elliott was unlucky.
Have to admit on watching the replay, I really bumped up Moore in my consideration.
Really solid. Deserving of votes.

Probably because Moore is our best kick in. Maynard is okay for distance but not so much precision. That said Maynard was taking some kick ins against Geelong. I think sometimes its as much about taking them quickly as who takes them. Even a genius like Davis could only do so much if a decent defensive structure got set up. I do agree with your sentiment generally and can't wait for Dunn to be taking the majority of the kick ins with Moore on the other end of them.
Yes!!

A Cats supporter at work goaded me into having a $10 bet on the Pies with him. I have not bet on Collingwood or football since my school days because i am a curse. This is the reason we lost, Sorry i will drop myself this week.
You f****ing arshole.
Cost us 4 points.
Good thing for you I'm on the other side of the planet.
I knew there was something strange about our performance.
May all your pies be cold and beers be hot.
That's what you deserve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am shocked that people cared so much. Big deal we played like garbage and lost a round 1 game.

I know we are better than that so I am not even going to worry at all.

It's not being soft that cost us, it's that we kicked worse than under 9s. Missed targets, Sidebottom handball at people's legs. Treloar back to his front running days.

Neither will be playing like that when it matters

I am shocked that people cared so much. Big deal we played like garbage and lost a round 1 game.

I know we are better than that so I am not even going to worry at all.

It's not being soft that cost us, it's that we kicked worse than under 9s. Missed targets, Sidebottom handball at people's legs. Treloar back to his front running days.

Neither will be playing like that when it matters

You Hope Not

THE WRAP

Despite the pain of last year’s Grand Final loss lingering like a bad smell due to the incessant footage of that damn goal being broadcast all pre-season (you know the one, his name rhymes with ‘f**k you Dom Sheed’) a buoyant Collingwood entered the new season with an optimistic spring in its step.

It had just added 2010 premiership hero Dayne Beams to its already impressive list, and with both Jamie Elliott and Darcy Moore feasting on a strict off-season diet of German calves’ blood, most pundits declared the Magpies a lock for deep September action, with some going so far as to predict the ultimate success for the men in black and white.

However, after Friday night’s shockingly lacklustre performance that ended in eerily similar fashion to that fateful day just six months prior, the premiership race appears as wide open as it has ever been.

During a laughably sluggish opening stanza from both rust-affected squads, Elliott reminded the football world of his elite talent by kicking three of Collingwood’s four first half goals. Remarkably, his primetime cameo was enough for an 11-point lead at the main break, as Geelong struggled its way to a paltry three majors. The Cats’ inability to break through Collingwood’s stingy defence was due in large part to the rock-solid Moore, prompting many to again contemplate what might have been had the prodigal son been declared fit during the 2018 finals series.

The third term provided more of the same error-riddled football as “Benny Hill” began trending on Twitter, before the Cats managed to slam through three unanswered goals, including one after the now customary Joel Selwood head high free kick. But like a shambolic game of tug of war, the Magpies responded with three of their own, two via the clearly underdone Jordan De Goey who remarkably could have finished with five if not for the cobwebs and brain farts. At three quarter time, scores were locked. Oh boy, here we go again.

Like a bad record on repeat, both teams continued to butcher the ball and squander a litany of chances by making the seemingly simple look ridiculously hard, with De Goey the main offender just twenty metres from goal. But his goalmouth gaffe was soon forgotten when Beams kicked his first ‘real’ goal since 2014, and when Callum Brown snapped truly from the pocket just moments later, the Magpies had regained the lead heading into time on and the “Cooolliiingwooooood” chant was unleashed for the first time in season 2019.

However, without being able to push numbers behind the ball due to Steve Hocking’s satanic masterstroke, two quick centre square clearances all but sealed Collingwood’s fate, as Geelong nailed a pair of cheap goals in as many minutes to silence the Magpie Army and break their hearts all over again.

In keeping with the theme throughout the blooper-laden night, a Jeremy howler was easily picked off in his own defensive arc to all but snuff out Collingwood’s last gasp foray forward.

THE GOOD

Welcome back Jamie Elliott and Darcy Moore.

Oh, what might have been! There’s little doubt that a fit Elliott and/or Moore in 2018 would have likely secured Collingwood’s 16th piece of silverware. It’s a painful “what if?” scenario that still keeps members of the black and white faithful up at night, even more so after the duo’s successful return to football on Friday night.

It took less an hour into the new season for Elliott to prove his A-grade credentials, kicking three of Collingwood’s four first half goals, including a crafty effort while hemmed in tight on the boundary. Elliott only knows one speed: full throttle attack on the pill. While it makes for an explosive highlight reel, it must be hell on the body. Every time the pocket dynamo launches himself into a contest, you can sense thousands of Magpie hearts in as many mouths waiting with bated breath for “Billy” to get back on his feet unscathed. Let’s hope this fan favourite stays injury-free, because he is electric to watch.

At the other end of the ground, Moore reminded everyone why he was taken with the ninth pick in the 2014 draft. Last year and still unsigned, a chorus of so-called experts debated whether he was even good enough to break into Collingwood’s best 22. After a couple of JLT games and just one round into 2019, that argument already has not aged well, with some already declaring him a likely challenger to the All Australian CHB throne. Despite his lack of playing time over the past twelve months, his reading of the ball is still as good as any, he has strong, sure hands, and is a mostly long, reliable kick. A welcome addition to an undersized defence and a standout performer on Friday night, Moore was the only Magpie to receive votes from both coaches.

Here’s hoping Dr Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt fixed their ‘strings good and proper.

THE BAD

No Greenwood. No chance.

What were the match committee thinking? With in-and-under bull Taylor Adams out, Brayden Sier (aka The Bear) underdone, and man-child Rupert Wills not yet ready after missing a heap of footy, Collingwood opted to back its much vaunted and offensively-minded midfield vs the bigger-bodied Geelong midfield. Greenwood, serviceable without being remarkable throughout the JLT series, has an impressive recent record sitting on Joel Selwood and in hindsight his omission was a head scratcher. Although he won’t pick up any Brownlow votes, the Geelong skipper popped up enough times on Friday night to ultimately influence the end result, and although Callum Brown did put the Magpies in front late in the game with a peach of a snap, Greenwood would have been the safer round one bet for what is historically a sloppy first-up scrap.

The council was no friend.

Always felt it was sheer bloody mindedness.

A good few hours about 7, 8, 9 times a year, lots of little businesses pulling in some extra dollars.

But won’t happen now.

I’m a bit sad the AFL got rid of VFL park.
Really good second venue.
Very open and big ground, opened up the game.
Saintly . . . . maaaate!!!

Have you ever been to that shithole in the middle of winter in a howling gale with the rain being driven into your face???

And the transport situation???

A giant white elephant designed to force the MCC back into line.

Have you ever been to that shithole in the middle of winter in a howling gale with the rain being driven into your face???

Many a time and if you parked next to the fence you’d find your car.
And if it was cold, rainy etc well I was younger then, just rugged up.
Didn’t Daicos Kill it there.

I used to love Waverley. Used to park up near the Wheelers Hill pub and walk down to the ground.

Many a time and if you parked next to the fence you’d find your car.
And if it was cold, rainy etc well I was younger then, just rugged up.
Didn’t Daicos Kill it there.
Lol Daic's killed it everywhere, but he did like artic park - so much room for him there.

My biggest gripe wasn't so much the parking - which was horrendous - but the lack of support from the Victorian government in getting anything resembling a halfway decent bus service there. The VFL was much to blame there as well in going ahead without the infrastructure in place.

Lol Daic's killed it everywhere, but he did like artic park - so much room for him there.

My biggest gripe wasn't so much the parking - which was horrendous - but the lack of support from the Victorian government in getting anything resembling a halfway decent bus service there. The VFL was much to blame there as well in going ahead without the infrastructure in place.
So simple to run a train to Monash University then up the middle of wellington road.
But it wasn’t to be.

They could have segmented the parking with colours and numbers letters - but that was too logical and simple

So simple to run a train to Monash University then up the middle of wellington road.
But it wasn’t to be.

They could have segmented the parking with colours and numbers letters - but that was too logical and simple
Lol typical penny pinching pollies . . .

Oh and bye the bye . . .

Off topic but I've been listening to these radio adds for all the billions of bucks on public infrastructure the Fed is promising to spend.

Quite a significant number of people I've spoken to about it are quite pleased . . .

Really ?????!!!!!

If you look at the list of projects and do some research . . . .

Many of these projects should have been implemented 20 years ago when the need for them was plain . . .

The cost would have been a fraction of what it is now . . .

And . . .

It means that this huge outlay of cash is only bringing us up to 1990 standards.

SIGH

Lol typical penny pinching pollies . . .

Oh and bye the bye . . .

Off topic but I've been listening to these radio adds for all the billions of bucks on public infrastructure the Fed is promising to spend.

Quite a significant number of people I've spoken to about it are quite pleased . . .

Really ?????!!!!!

If you look at the list of projects and do some research . . . .

Many of these projects should have been implemented 20 years ago when the need for them was plain . . .

The cost would have been a fraction of what it is now . . .

And . . .

It means that this huge outlay of cash is only bringing us up to 1990 standards.

SIGH
Fast forward 50 years
Same things will be said.

We just don’t do what is really needed when it’s needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back