Game Day Collingwood v Geelong, 11 August, 7.50pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Collingwood v Geelong, 11 August MCG 7.50pm.

An earlier preview this week because I can’t get these thoughts from my mind. Just where the bloody hell are we?

The nightmare is kicking in hard. I mean, we all knew it was precarious right? Except the poster who started the discussion about how we would win the premiership way back in March or April. S/he's off looking for an Ayahuasca ceremony to deal with the trauma.

The slow decline that started back around the time we played Melbourne has turned into a steep descent. Let’s list just a few issues:
  • Smashed in clearances and especially centre square clearances. Against Hawthorn it was 18-3 from the centre. That’s 6 Hawks clearances for every 1 of ours. There are a few contributing issues. A: Cameron is a solid, B-grade ruck, but nothing much more. And he can’t be trusted for an entire game – in my humble opinion. Then McStay isn’t really up to being support ruck. Add to this: Mitchell and Pendlebury are just too slow. One we can keep, and that’s Mitchell since he isn’t suited to anything else. I was happy enough to get him but never saw the need in the first place since we had Adams and they’re similar. But fine, he’s one of us now, so he just has to be given the chance to return to early season form. Let’s face it, he’s not the only one out of touch. Pendlebury is too slow for the centre though. That's fine but let's call it as it is.
  • The sheer number of players who aren’t playing well. It’s started to get to critical mass. Mihocek, Hill, Adams, Crisp, Noble, Cameron, Cox (when he was in), Johnson, DeGoey, Sidebottom, J Daicos, N Daicos (before the injury), Moore, Howe, Lipinski. McRae has suggested there’s an element of psychology to this massive downturn, but in my opinion it’s partly on the coaches. Quite a few of us have been arguing for some of the less experienced players to get a run, which has a dual benefit – it gives the older ones a rest and experience to the younger ones. The coaches has resisted this and allowed too many players to play below their level for too long.
  • Nick Daicos. Enough said. Really? I mean why us? God? Why!?
  • McRae and co getting outcoached. Sicily -- for God's sake, not once did anyone get sent to him. Compare that to Daicos, who was brutalised by a tagger. Then the lack of a plan B in terms of game style (i.e., to turn the game into a grind if necessary). The move of Daicos to full forward was bizarre for me – he is a critical part of our wave running, so why isolate him up front when we’re getting smashed in the centre? The same centre square combo given way too much time in there, when McReery showed in the brief time he was given an opportunity that he could do twice as well. That's just to start with. There's plenty more questions.
It’s on the coaches and players together to sort this one out. But for me, the coaches are first under the microscope. This is where they earn their money. Here are some things I would do, if I were given a voice. 1. Frampton in to free up Darcy Moore and Howe. This is almost certain now Murphy is out. 2. Pendlebury to wing or half-back. He’s done in the centre. 3. McReery in centre bounce more for his power and speed. 4. Cox back in at Johnson’s expense. I can see why they went the other way last week and it didn’t work. 5. Adams more time in the centre over Mitchell, who might need to come on as sub until the finals. Adams has more pace. 6. One or two players to be dropped if their form isn’t good enough, with Ginnivan, McInnis, Macrae, Bianco, Kelly, Ruscoe, etc to be given more game time. Players just can't be gifted spots. 6. Nick Daicos should be put at half-back where he’s played his best football… metaphorically of course since he’s not playing and we may not see him again, fingers crossed.

The Kittens

So, we face Geelong this week and I have grave concerns. At least they aren’t the team they were last year. They have their own problems, thank God. But they’re still a good team. This is actually a pretty good challenge for us this week, since Geelong’s midfield isn’t elite anymore. We should win clearance and contest if we put our mind to it. #should

Crisp should play a run-with on Dangerfield. Howe tak#shouldron. Maynard takes Henry (the rodent). Some of the other significant moves I’ve mentioned above.

The Washup

It’s been a shock of a two weeks but I’m trying to remain balanced. We still have an A-grade team, when playing our best. We’re not at our best but I still think we can take a step back up the staircase from the basement of doom.

The Pies by 1 point is a torturous grind of a game as they begin to piece the ABCs – contest, pressure -- together again.

Collingwood v Geelong, 11 August MCG 7.50pm.

An earlier preview this week because I can’t get these thoughts from my mind. Just where the bloody hell are we?

The nightmare is kicking in hard. I mean, we all knew it was precarious right? Except the poster who started the discussion about how we would win the premiership way back in March or April. S/he's off looking for an Ayahuasca ceremony to deal with the trauma.

The slow decline that started back around the time we played Melbourne has turned into a steep descent. Let’s list just a few issues:
  • Smashed in clearances and especially centre square clearances. Against Hawthorn it was 18-3 from the centre. That’s 6 Hawks clearances for every 1 of ours. There are a few contributing issues. A: Cameron is a solid, B-grade ruck, but nothing much more. And he can’t be trusted for an entire game – in my humble opinion. Then McStay isn’t really up to being support ruck. Add to this: Mitchell and Pendlebury are just too slow. One we can keep, and that’s Mitchell since he isn’t suited to anything else. I was happy enough to get him but never saw the need in the first place since we had Adams and they’re similar. But fine, he’s one of us now, so he just has to be given the chance to return to early season form. Let’s face it, he’s not the only one out of touch. Pendlebury is too slow for the centre though. That's fine but let's call it as it is.
  • The sheer number of players who aren’t playing well. It’s started to get to critical mass. Mihocek, Hill, Adams, Crisp, Noble, Cameron, Cox (when he was in), Johnson, DeGoey, Sidebottom, J Daicos, N Daicos (before the injury), Moore, Howe, Lipinski. McRae has suggested there’s an element of psychology to this massive downturn, but in my opinion it’s partly on the coaches. Quite a few of us have been arguing for some of the less experienced players to get a run, which has a dual benefit – it gives the older ones a rest and experience to the younger ones. The coaches has resisted this and allowed too many players to play below their level for too long.
  • Nick Daicos. Enough said. Really? I mean why us? God? Why!?
  • McRae and co getting outcoached. Sicily -- for God's sake, not once did anyone get sent to him. Compare that to Daicos, who was brutalised by a tagger. Then the lack of a plan B in terms of game style (i.e., to turn the game into a grind if necessary). The move of Daicos to full forward was bizarre for me – he is a critical part of our wave running, so why isolate him up front when we’re getting smashed in the centre? The same centre square combo given way too much time in there, when McReery showed in the brief time he was given an opportunity that he could do twice as well. That's just to start with. There's plenty more questions.
It’s on the coaches and players together to sort this one out. But for me, the coaches are first under the microscope. This is where they earn their money. Here are some things I would do, if I were given a voice. 1. Frampton in to free up Darcy Moore and Howe. This is almost certain now Murphy is out. 2. Pendlebury to wing or half-back. He’s done in the centre. 3. McReery in centre bounce more for his power and speed. 4. Cox back in at Johnson’s expense. I can see why they went the other way last week and it didn’t work. 5. Adams more time in the centre over Mitchell, who might need to come on as sub until the finals. Adams has more pace. 6. One or two players to be dropped if their form isn’t good enough, with Ginnivan, McInnis, Macrae, Bianco, Kelly, Ruscoe, etc to be given more game time. Players just can't be gifted spots. 6. Nick Daicos should be put at half-back where he’s played his best football… metaphorically of course since he’s not playing and we may not see him again, fingers crossed.

The Kittens

So, we face Geelong this week and I have grave concerns. At least they aren’t the team they were last year. They have their own problems, thank God. But they’re still a good team. This is actually a pretty good challenge for us this week, since Geelong’s midfield isn’t elite anymore. We should win clearance and contest if we put our mind to it. #should

Crisp should play a run-with on Dangerfield. Howe tak#shouldron. Maynard takes Henry (the rodent). Some of the other significant moves I’ve mentioned above.

The Washup

It’s been a shock of a two weeks but I’m trying to remain balanced. We still have an A-grade team, when playing our best. We’re not at our best but I still think we can take a step back up the staircase from the basement of doom.

The Pies by 1 point is a torturous grind of a game as they begin to piece the ABCs – contest, pressure -- together again.
Great and creative write up, as usual. Thanks FP. You've nailed most of the problems that we're grappling with. There are certainly a lot of them!

Its hard to make much of a case for us this week, after losing centre clearances to Hawthorn by a staggering 3-18. Its a mind-boggling stat. We couldn't even average one centre clearance per quarter! I doubt any team has recorded fewer in the history of centre clearance data being captured.

If we go anywhere near that centre clearances discrepancy again the the ball will be going into Geelong's forward line more times that we can possibly repel and Jezza, Henry and Rohan (to name a few) will have a field day. And lets be honest, Jezza has a field day nearly every time he plays us. With Daicos out, Mitchell seemingly carrying an injury and the rest of our midfield looking tired and slow, I just can't see how we turn the clearances ship around. A career-best game from DeGoey is about the only potential spark I see to hope for.

I'd love to be wildly wrong of course but figure its best to go in with low expectations. Cats by about 5 goals.

We absolutely must make a statement here. As we should have last week after the Carlton loss.

This game is make or break for our season IMO.

Play poorly again and we’re done. We won’t get the momentum and form back.

Obviously a win is ideal, but we don’t necessarily have to win. We have to compete! A competitive effort will still give me a glimmer of hope.

A poor performance like we just played, with no effort from so many, no comeback attempt, will tell me we are not going to make it.

Obviously having an almost secured top two ladder position and a definite top 4 finish, is going to help, as we at least get to semi finals regardless of this weeks result, but another poor performance and we’ll be tracking to go out in straight sets, a La 2022 Melbourne.

We MUST find something more this week.

Lock down on Gryan Miers with Noble. Shut him out, we win.

Lock down on Gryan Miers with Noble. Shut him out, we win.

Those *en whimpy sidey little chips do my *en head in!!!

Win big and we lock up top position

We absolutely must make a statement here. As we should have last week after the Carlton loss.

This game is make or break for our season IMO.

Play poorly again and we’re done. We won’t get the momentum and form back.

Obviously a win is ideal, but we don’t necessarily have to win. We have to compete! A competitive effort will still give me a glimmer of hope.

A poor performance like we just played, with no effort from so many, no comeback attempt, will tell me we are not going to make it.

Obviously having an almost secured top two ladder position and a definite top 4 finish, is going to help, as we at least get to semi finals regardless of this weeks result, but another poor performance and we’ll be tracking to go out in straight sets, a La 2022 Melbourne.

We MUST find something more this week.
So if we lose this week, we are guaranteed to lose both first and second week of finals?

Anyone got their finger on the pulse about some of the VFL lads?
I think we need to bring in someone who can win a bloody clearance. We're not about to lead the league in that area overnight, but we do need to at least half the contest. How does McRae go? Does Carmichael attend many centre bounces, and if so, how does he fair?

I don't agree with people who have strung up Darcy Cameron. Grundy used to dominate the hit outs and we still never won the clearances. Good clearance sides read the opposition ruck just as well as their own.

I read someone suggesting that McCreery attend centre bounces. I hadn't considered this, and I like it. They thought his speed would be an asset. And it would. But watching the way he stands up in a tackle and then throws people to the ground... I'd love to see him burrow in there like a badger. He's certainly got the build for it.

Frampton is the obvious choice for Murphy. He was average in the first few rounds for us; mainly because of his disposal. But his confidence grew, and he turned into a decent backman there for a while. Can't remember what changed, but they started throwing him around a bit. Not the best thing for someone's confidence. Especially when they're on their 3rd club. Anyway, I can see him slotting in as a straight up and down, no fuss, nothing fancy Nathan Brown type.

If you have the dish on the VFL players, I want to hear about it!

So if we lose this week, we are guaranteed to lose both first and second week of finals?
Nothing is guaranteed in football, but we are fast losing momentum now. Hard to get players back in the right headspace. Just look at Melbourne last year and we are following the same pattern. They lost both finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You say the Melbourne game, I would argue the signs started showing 2 weeks before that from the North Melbourne game when we tried "blowing them away in a quarter" and they still reeled us in a bit late in the game.

Then the West Coast game got worse.

Then we lost against Melbourne.

Then it seems the bye freshened us up and we played arguably our best game of the year against the Suns.

Then it's just been all downhill since then.

While I know many are hoping/expecting a form turnaround this weekend, but I just don't see the logic for it. If you can't turn your form around over a 2 month period, I'm not sure why one could think we could turn it around in a week?

In usual fashion, regardless of oppositions form, they'll find a way to "get up" just for this week and play their best game for a while.

Geelong most likely belt us given our injuries and poor form. Not to mention, their backline is back to full strength, so not sure where our goals will come from.

Great and creative write up, as usual. Thanks FP. You've nailed most of the problems that we're grappling with. There are certainly a lot of them!

Its hard to make much of a case for us this week, after losing centre clearances to Hawthorn by a staggering 3-18. Its a mind-boggling stat. We couldn't even average one centre clearance per quarter! I doubt any team has recorded fewer in the history of centre clearance data being captured.

If we go anywhere near that centre clearances discrepancy again the the ball will be going into Geelong's forward line more times that we can possibly repel and Jezza, Henry and Rohan (to name a few) will have a field day. And lets be honest, Jezza has a field day nearly every time he plays us. With Daicos out, Mitchell seemingly carrying an injury and the rest of our midfield looking tired and slow, I just can't see how we turn the clearances ship around. A career-best game from DeGoey is about the only potential spark I see to hope for.

I'd love to be wildly wrong of course but figure it’s best to go in with low expectations. Cats by about 5 goals.

Thanks LL. You’re probably right. But I’m sadly a true believer…. 😂

Anyone got their finger on the pulse about some of the VFL lads?
I think we need to bring in someone who can win a bloody clearance. We're not about to lead the league in that area overnight, but we do need to at least half the contest. How does McRae go? Does Carmichael attend many centre bounces, and if so, how does he fair?

I don't agree with people who have strung up Darcy Cameron. Grundy used to dominate the hit outs and we still never won the clearances. Good clearance sides read the opposition ruck just as well as their own.

I read someone suggesting that McCreery attend centre bounces. I hadn't considered this, and I like it. They thought his speed would be an asset. And it would. But watching the way he stands up in a tackle and then throws people to the ground... I'd love to see him burrow in there like a badger. He's certainly got the build for it.

Frampton is the obvious choice for Murphy. He was average in the first few rounds for us; mainly because of his disposal. But his confidence grew, and he turned into a decent backman there for a while. Can't remember what changed, but they started throwing him around a bit. Not the best thing for someone's confidence. Especially when they're on their 3rd club. Anyway, I can see him slotting in as a straight up and down, no fuss, nothing fancy Nathan Brown type.

If you have the dish on the VFL players, I want to hear about it!

Carmichael and Macrae are the two clearance kings at VFL level. they are both injured alas.

You say the Melbourne game, I would argue the signs started showing 2 weeks before that from the North Melbourne game when we tried "blowing them away in a quarter" and they still reeled us in a bit late in the game.

Then it seems the bye freshened us up and we played arguably our best game of the year against the Suns.

While I know many are hoping/expecting a form turnaround this weekend, but I just don't see the logic for it. If you can't turn your form around over a 2 month period, I'm not sure why one could think we could turn it around in a week?

In usual fashion, regardless of oppositions form, they'll find a way to "get up" just for this week and play their best game for a while.

Geelong most likely belt us given our injuries and poor form. Not to mention, their backline is back to full strength, so not sure where our goals will come from.

You should give up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Please tell us, who’s the benchmark team that plays 4 QTR’s of football, and done so all year.

Your assertions on this point are completely out of touch with the reality of the season, where teams play in bursts.
That’s why discussion constantly focuses on how teams manage momentum - both their own and the opponents.

A team just needs to be ahead on the score board at the end of the game - to denigrate our ability to have done this more effectively than any other team this season is completely disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back