Game Day Collingwood v Western Bulldogs 7 July Marvel 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Detective stories are always among my favourites. From the mystery stories of Agatha Cristie to James Ellroy’s bloody LA Confidential. I like intrigue – and this week we get plenty of mystery. It will be a fascinating watch against the Bulldogs and will take a hard-drinking, tortured yet genius detective to be able to puzzle out Friday night’s plot.

Clue number one: The Bulldogs have some of the most impressive talls in the competition. I mean, Ugle-Hagan is now their number one forward, which makes Naughton their second. Even Rory Lobb, who has been disappointing for years, can mark a game. Their ruckman might dominate ours. Then they have some talented juniors not even in the team.

Clue number two: The Bulldogs have a great midfield, capable of tearing the ball out of the pack and into space with handballs. Bontempelli, Smith, Treloar, Macrae, Liberatore -- all are elite in their own way. We might even see an old Magpie, Caleb Poulter, loping like some lonely giraffe on the wings.

Clue number three: The Bulldog’s defence is not elite. Even if Richards comes back in, they don’t have the Key Backs or the counter-attacking half-backs to make them elite. They are vulnerable.

Clue number four: The Might Magpies are in sublime form. With a midfield of De Goey, N Daicos, Mitchell, J Daicos, WHE, Taylor Adams, Pendlebury, Crisp, Lipinski. We have magnificent balance, elite inside players, elite outside runners.

Clue number five: The Magpie forward line hasn’t hit elite form. Mihocek looks banged up. McStay was meant to give him big-bodied support, but Dan has managed to somehow miss almost the entire year (Not happy Dan!), Johnson has been dropped for poor form and one-dimensionality, Kreuger knocks himself out at the sheer sight of an oval, McInnis can’t quite put it together at AFL level, Cameron and Cox are inconsistent, Frampton is better suited to defence. Questions abound.

The Washup

The clues make for a fascinating mystery, but in the end there will only be one body – that of the Bulldogs.

The Magpies by 23 as they get away with murder!

Last edited:

Great write up

As a weekly dogs watcher…

- their midfield contested work will keep pace with ours or exceed it

- their defence is really missing Liam Jones

- they will squander their plentiful inside 50s into failed conversions (kicking straight last week vs Freo was the anomaly)

- they will hold possession then concede quick goals on the rebound because they lack pressure to hold the ball in their forward half… which suits the pies

- they generally don’t have the fight in them to come back from 4 goals down in the last quarter

Pies by 22 👍

If we’re going to be down Checkers, against the dogs isn’t the worst timing. Don’t get me wrong, it’s always bad timing but could be worse.
I’m far more worried about the dogs forwards but we have the elite back line to combat it.
I’m not sure why Dan McStay seems cursed since coming to Collingwood but surely he’s now able to just come straight back in. Let’s see how he goes.
Worst case think we bring Ash Johnson back in for Checkers if McStay not ready. Reef had the better game in the twos but has failed to fire in the seniors when given the chance.
Keep Cox at full forward and let Billy and Cameron do the rucking.
Side note, can’t wait to see Jordy back in tip top form after his mini preseason.

If we’re going to be down Checkers, against the dogs isn’t the worst timing. Don’t get me wrong, it’s always bad timing but could be worse.
I’m far more worried about the dogs forwards but we have the elite back line to combat it.
I’m not sure why Dan McStay seems cursed since coming to Collingwood but surely he’s now able to just come straight back in. Let’s see how he goes.
Worst case think we bring Ash Johnson back in for Checkers if McStay not ready. Reef had the better game in the twos but has failed to fire in the seniors when given the chance.
Keep Cox at full forward and let Billy and Cameron do the rucking.
Side note, can’t wait to see Jordy back in tip top form after his mini preseason.
I wouldn't mind seeing Cox and DeGoey swapping stints at FF.

Mihocek will miss this week with hammy tightness

I'm ok with this.

I still remember him last year and how bad he moved around during finals.

One the toughest I have seen, needs be managed and feeling good come finals.

McStay come straight in?

I'm ok with this.

I still remember him last year and how bad he moved around during finals.

One the toughest I have seen, needs be managed and feeling good come finals.

McStay come straight in?
I am also. A big reason we need McStay playing is that Mihocek gets beat up every year. Bigger games and finals are even worse. He badly needs help, and a rest even straight after a bye isn't a bad thing. Would want him back at least by the Port game though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am also. A big reason we need McStay playing is that Mihocek gets beat up every year. Bigger games and finals are even worse. He badly needs help, and a rest even straight after a bye isn't a bad thing. Would want him back at least by the Port game though.

Look how Elliott has come back after the rest.

Checkers has seemed NQR the last couple of weeks.
The way he plays his footy he takes a pounding, so a rest will do him good and get him fit and firing for the finals.
Just don't call it managing!
Checkers was off his game late last season too. The difference is we couldn’t afford to rest him as we had no alternatives.

This year we have added mcstay and frampton to the list along with hill so we can cover him.

I read kreugers unavailable (admittedly only on this thread) but we also have the option of Johnson McInnes and mcstay…

Surely mcstay is the obvious choice to come in

Last edited:
With Mihocek (Hamstring) & Kreuger (Concussion) out this week do we see McStay come straight back in?

Kreuger seriously have a concussion? FMD anyone who has faith in this bloke to come in for a big final is dreaming.

I feel like this might be borderline “resting” Checkers 😝
Hamstring tightness
I don't think we will based on the fact that they felt he needed some VFL minutes. I think Reef will come in and we'll go with Elliott coming out of the square.
i think the minutes were to manage him for what would have been a 5 day break. Always intended him to come back this week. Not sure he needed the run in the VFL really. Our rehab team do an incredible job keeping the boys fitness and strength up during injuries.
Keen to know if McStay does match sim at training tomorrow.

I feel like this might be borderline “resting” Checkers 😝
Hamstring tightness

i think the minutes were to manage him for what would have been a 5 day break. Always intended him to come back this week. Not sure he needed the run in the VFL really. Our rehab team do an incredible job keeping the boys fitness and strength up during injuries.
Keen to know if McStay does match sim at training tomorrow.
We could really use a big body forward for this game

Checkers was off his game late last season too. The difference is we couldn’t afford to rest him as we had no alternatives.

This year we have added mcstay and frampton to the list along with hill so we can cover him.

I read kreugers unavailable but we also have the option of Johnson McInnes and mcstay…

Surely mcstay is the obvious choice to come in

Frampton is such a great get.

Checkers needs a spell regardless if he's injured or not. Pretty plain to see that he is knackered right now. Do we bring AJ back in, see if he can deliver something against a Top 8 side? He need to show us that he can do the job against a good side. McStay wouldn't be ready so don't count on him yet. I can see Cox and JDG spending more time in the forward line as well. It will be interesting to see what kind of score we can kick without Checkers there. He hasn't been hitting the scoreboard lately but his work off the ball is what we might miss. We'll see. As others have said Reef might come in but he is not a physical type (like for like).

Kreuger seriously have a concussion? FMD anyone who has faith in this bloke to come in for a big final is dreaming.
He went for a hanger and landed flat on his back and the back of his head smashed the ground. I have no words for this blokes injury history, he's making s**t up as he goes along

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back