Game Day Collingwood v Carlton, MCG Friday 28 July, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
From the primordial sludge in the midst of time crawled a creature so heinous, so lacking in morality and ethics, so deserving of death that only the most morally depraved could bear its existence. Among humanity the degenerate formed cults to worship the monster and they wore blue to symbolise the ethical bruising to their souls. They chanted at black midnight and sarcrificed all that was good and light for their horror -- a monster that has come to be known as Carlton.

Nothing is too good for Carlton and their supporters. If you're looking for moral equivalents, think serial killer, concentration camp attendant, torturer. Carlton are evidence that we do not live in a world of justice and fairness.

But I digress.

This week, we will slay the beast like St George. We must. We have to.

They have a plentitude of injuries it seems, and the makeup of their team is uncertain. What they're missing again is outside run and class: Jack Martin, Sam Walsh are first among those. Both will miss. Concerns for us: they're brutal inside game, led by Cripps, which might mean they win clearances; their key forward, Kernot, who just came off a bag of ten (he's pretty damn watchable).

On the other hand, we've been blessed so far by the injury gods. We almost have a full team to chose from. Glory be!

It's hard to see many changes. WHE probably plays in the VFL. Ginnivan pushed his case last week in the VFL but I can't see a spot for him. Perhaps there is only one player at threat: Mason Cox. I'm a Cox fan, but he still hasn't quite improved his reliability and consistency. His ceiling is higher than Cameron but his floor is lower. If Cox was dropped, it'd likely be for Johnson -- and that's a change I'd consider.

The Washup

The pies to win by 27 points. The monster shall be driven back into the sludge only to rise again once more to be slain. So is the constant war of light and dark, good and evil, Collingwood and Carlton.

BOM still has Friday as a good chance of rain, but I reckon Coxy needs to stay as a dominant tap ruck and Darcy as the mobile follower. You could absolutely make the case that a team with Markov and WHE would have great running power from half-back to half-forward as their capacity for repeat efforts is fantastic. Could be a factor with the rain, too, to choose to run and carry instead of blazing with long hail mary kicks to the forward line. Would go a long way to ensuring we get the best out of our tall forwards.

Carlton are always a danger team, and I don't like that this is on a Friday night. But on the other hand, I remember a milestone match with a mean old man who never wanted to play against his boys and the scoreline was very favourable to us (and it also provided the wonderful theatre of Daisy kicking his worst kick on goal and then being flattened by Pendles). So I don't know. Flip a coin.

Pies by 2-3 goals

Liked for the ethically bruised heart metaphor and for comparing Curnow to (I can only assume) the sometime Greens, sometimes Labor senator Cheryl Kernot. I’m sure there’s an analogy there around not staying true to one’s principles and morals that applies.

Last time Carlton went downhill skiing an against WC they followed up with a 7 game losing streak. Fully expecting history to repeat, and it starts with us.

Pies by 50.

The scum have mostly been having training runs against witches hats in their "streak".
They beat WC by 12 goals - meh!
We did that to PA earlier in the season, then followed up by beating them on their own soggy dung heap last week.
They won't have it so easy on Friday - their streak will come to a grinding halt.
Go Pies!!

From the primordial sludge in the midst of time crawled a creature so heinous, so lacking in morality and ethics, so deserving of death that only the most morally depraved could bear its existence. Among humanity the degenerate formed cults to worship the monster and they wore blue to symbolise the ethical bruising to their souls. They chanted at black midnight and sarcrificed all that was good and light for their horror -- a monster that has come to be known as Carlton.

Nothing is too good for Carlton and their supporters. If you're looking for moral equivalents, think serial killer, concentration camp attendant, torturer. Carlton are evidence that we do not live in a world of justice and fairness.

But I digress.

This week, we will slay the beast like St George. We must. We have to.

They have a plentitude of injuries it seems, and the makeup of their team is uncertain. What they're missing again is outside run and class: Jack Martin, Sam Walsh are first among those. Both will miss. Concerns for us: they're brutal inside game, led by Cripps, which might mean they win clearances; their key forward, Kernot, who just came off a bag of ten (he's pretty damn watchable).

On the other hand, we've been blessed so far by the injury gods. We almost have a full team to chose from. Glory be!

It's hard to see many changes. WHE probably plays in the VFL. Ginnivan pushed his case last week in the VFL but I can't see a spot for him. Perhaps there is only one player at threat: Mason Cox. I'm a Cox fan, but he still hasn't quite improved his reliability and consistency. His ceiling is higher than Cameron but his floor is lower. If Cox was dropped, it'd likely be for Johnson -- and that's a change I'd consider.

The Washup

The pies to win by 27 points. The monster shall be driven back into the sludge only to rise again once more to be slain. So is the constant war of light and dark, good and evil, Collingwood and Carlton.
Your description of the scum is much too kind!

The scum have mostly been having training runs against witches hats in their "streak".
They beat WC by 12 goals - meh!
We did that to PA earlier in the season, then followed up by beating them on their own soggy dung heap last week.
They won't have it so easy on Friday - their streak will come to a grinding halt.
Go Pies!!
Their dickhead supporters seem to forget that prior to their 5 game winning streak, they had 6 straight losses.

I’d prefer that the OP used stronger language when describing Carlton and it’s origins. But I guess we can afford to be complimentary.

Pies know what to do with this lot, to make their Friday night miserable.
Interestingly (and whilst most likely unintentionally) Carlton’s them song derives from a song called, “Lily of Laguna” that had racial undertones and was often performed by ppl wearing black face.

BOM still has Friday as a good chance of rain, but I reckon Coxy needs to stay as a dominant tap ruck and Darcy as the mobile follower. You could absolutely make the case that a team with Markov and WHE would have great running power from half-back to half-forward as their capacity for repeat efforts is fantastic. Could be a factor with the rain, too, to choose to run and carry instead of blazing with long hail mary kicks to the forward line. Would go a long way to ensuring we get the best out of our tall forwards.

Carlton are always a danger team, and I don't like that this is on a Friday night. But on the other hand, I remember a milestone match with a mean old man who never wanted to play against his boys and the scoreline was very favourable to us (and it also provided the wonderful theatre of Daisy kicking his worst kick on goal and then being flattened by Pendles). So I don't know. Flip a coin.

Pies by 2-3 goals
Only in the morning apparently:

Melbourne area​

Cloudy. Very high chance of showers, most likely in the morning. Winds north to northwesterly 25 to 40 km/h.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be the most depleted tankers outfit we’ve faced for some time.

Pies by plenty.
We will kill 'em. Shame on the AFL for scheduling such a crap matchup for Friday night.

The run to the 8 will be a close-run thing for the tankers. I fear they might make it - mainly on the strength of how much of a basket case St.Kilda has become to drop out - but my Christmas wish is for the blues to be knocked out of the 8 in the final moments of round 24.

There might be two Sunday games which determine the 8, Blues v GWS and Syd v Dees. I can't let myself get too excited at the prospect of Toby G doing another Jamie on the baggers.

Interestingly (and whilst most likely unintentionally) Carlton’s them song derives from a song called, “Lily of Laguna” that had racial undertones and was often performed by ppl wearing black face.
Our song also has the same racial undertones, A cakewalk was a dance undertaken mainly at slave plantations where the prize would be a cake.

Thanks Scodog10 for clarifying the Mitchell discussion in the changes thread. I had not considered the impact Nick’s move into the midfield was having on his game.

Our song also has the same racial undertones, A cakewalk was a dance undertaken mainly at slave plantations where the prize would be a cake.
Are you sure Axl? A cakewalk is an Amish tradition where the potential bride is made to walk in her wedding dress along a maped out path, leading to the wedding cake

I wish AJ had a tank to the point where he could replace Lipinski in the "WHE" role, but until he does I think it should be WHE himself.

I would love to find a way to get AJ into the team without dropping Cox. Personally, I'd drop Cameron but that doesn't seem realistic right now.

Perhaps AJ could come into the team for Lipinski if we already have an extra midfielder. I would really like to see a forward line with Checkers, McStay & AJ in it and see if that could work for us, at least for a half. Having the option of subbing out Cox/AJ in the second half if they are having quiet games would be there. It might hamper Elliot's game too much though and I'm not expecting it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back