Game Day Pies v Hawthorn, 5 August, 4.35pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Building a premiership list is a bit like baking – a mix of science and art that requires instinct as well as analysis and knowledge. You can measure a player’s athletic abilities, for example, but that doesn’t tell you how good an actual footballer they will be. Multiply that dilemma by list size and you have a good idea of the difficulty. I didn’t think we had the list to challenge this year, and I’ve been proved wrong. Our list has a couple of weaknesses, the main one the lack of an elite key forward. Otherwise, we have everything.

Hawthorn chose to rebuild hard, and my respect to Mitchell when he outlined their plan, which included an assessment of who was rebuilding at the same time and in competition with them. They stripped back hard, got rid of older players, and are on their way. I think it’s smart but you’re in for some short-term pain.

Let’s take this week as an example. Hawthorn have good youth, but we have it over them all over the park.

Most of my life, the Hawks have been a brilliant team. All those flags in the 80s, 2000s. Sustained success. Enviable.

I can’t wait for the Pies to pummel them on Saturday. To budgeon them into submission. To concuss them and then like a Port Adelaide doctor to say, “Who? What? Oh they’ll be fine.”

I want them to hit the ground like Allir Allir’s body on the weekend – limp and lifeless.

And this week I am 100% certain that it’ll happen. I have no fear over this game. We had the loss we had to have. We can refocus on the basics of our game. Our forward line will be better for McStay there another week and maybe Howe up forward too.

Changes: Frampton in, Cox out. Howe forward. Bank the points. Move on.

The Washup

The Pies by 45 points, scorching the Hawthorn cake until it’s brown and black unconscious from the searing heat.

I can’t wait for the Pies to pummel them on Saturday. To budgeon them into submission. To concuss them and then like a Port Adelaide doctor to say, “Who? What? Oh they’ll be fine.”

I like your violent phrasing, but it’s ‘bludgeon’ unless we’re gonna hit them with budgies. Which no one has seen us do at training this week, when we’ve been practicing some new secret drills.

I’d like to see more chasing, tackling and ferocity at the ball. I’d also like to see AJ in the side. We let Carlton run around us last Friday night. I’ve been sulking all week.

Can’t stand Hawthorn or being in the MCC Members with their supporters when we play them. It’s like being at a reunion of Boroondara private schools. All wearing chinos and loafers.

I like your violent phrasing, but it’s ‘bludgeon’ unless we’re gonna hit them with budgies. Which no one has seen us do at training this week, when we’ve been practicing some new secret drills.

I’d like to see more chasing, tackling and ferocity at the ball. I’d also like to see AJ in the side. We let Carlton run around us last Friday night. I’ve been sulking all week.

Can’t stand Hawthorn or being in the MCC Members with their supporters when we play them. It’s like being at a reunion of Boroondara private schools. All wearing chinos and loafers.
Budgeon sounds like what Philip Lowe has done to the everyday Australian.

Agree with the above, but I'm less sulky than I was Friday night. It was an aberration.

Harder and cleaner at the clearance, more physicality in the clinches. And find targets around the 20-30m mark, not on the boundary at 55 pls.

Budgeon - now I’m inventing words! 😂

It was a reference to the fact that the AFL had forgotten to give the round a theme and have recently rectified that by announcing Warwick Capper round. Players are being encouraged to take speckies and wear budgeon smuggling footy shorts.

Music videos are also encouraged.

Building a premiership list is a bit like baking – a mix of science and art that requires instinct as well as analysis and knowledge. You can measure a player’s athletic abilities, for example, but that doesn’t tell you how good an actual footballer they will be. Multiply that dilemma by list size and you have a good idea of the difficulty. I didn’t think we had the list to challenge this year, and I’ve been proved wrong. Our list has a couple of weaknesses, the main one the lack of an elite key forward. Otherwise, we have everything.

Hawthorn chose to rebuild hard, and my respect to Mitchell when he outlined their plan, which included an assessment of who was rebuilding at the same time and in competition with them. They stripped back hard, got rid of older players, and are on their way. I think it’s smart but you’re in for some short-term pain.

Let’s take this week as an example. Hawthorn have good youth, but we have it over them all over the park.

Most of my life, the Hawks have been a brilliant team. All those flags in the 80s, 2000s. Sustained success. Enviable.

I want them to hit the ground like Allir Allir’s body on the weekend – limp and lifeless.

And this week I am 100% certain that it’ll happen. I have no fear over this game. We had the loss we had to have. We can refocus on the basics of our game. Our forward line will be better for McStay there another week and maybe Howe up forward too.

The Washup

The Pies by 45 points, scorching the Hawthorn cake until it’s brown and black unconscious from the searing heat.
Hill to come in too - not sure who they drop for him. Like the idea of bringing in Frampton, he can play on their 200cm rookie (Ryan?). Can't see them dropping WHE one week after his return game. Is it time to give Titch a week off? He's not had the same impact over the past few weeks and I wonder if he's carrying an injury.

Will Maginness tag Nick, and what will he have learned from his encounter with Drew?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

New secret drills which have been plastered everywhere Jen2310 lol

The Washup

What about Ian 'Bobby Dazzler' Hill??

The July period that the players and coaching staff have kept saying we “just need to get through” is over. I choose to believe that was our heavy training load month, and that from here on the loads will be lighter and our boys will be fresher going in to games. We will start flying heading in to the finals period and it starts now. Pies by 70.

The July period that the players and coaching staff have kept saying we “just need to get through” is over. I choose to believe that was our heavy training load month, and that from here on the loads will be lighter and our boys will be fresher going in to games. We will start flying heading in to the finals period and it starts now. Pies by 70.
This is what I'm counting on too 🙏

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a reference to the fact that the AFL had forgotten to give the round a theme and have recently rectified that by announcing Warwick Capper round. Players are being encouraged to take speckies and wear budgeon smuggling footy shorts.

Music videos are also encouraged.

Sound isn't working on my PC, best time for all things Capper.

Will Maginness tag Nick, and what will he have learned from his encounter with Drew?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well in Practise Game they where not really trying to break the Tag

Have mentioned this previously but Sam Mitchell has publicly stated he is impressed with Noble and how often he's used in our defensive rebounds. It was nearly praise that was volunteered at the time, so it'll be interesting to see if they put any work into him.
I remember this too. If that is the case, I wouldn't mind moving Nick back to get some more creation off the flank

Should train elsewhere today when the media turn up tell him whole team is sick so we told them to stay home! Imagine the headlines !

4 games left until finals it’s time to get everything in-line and time to put teams to the sword starting with the hawks

Play Howe on Sicily as a defensive forward (he showed against Carlton that he can kick goals).
Put Nick back in defence, we need to regain that movement from defence. Take the responsibility out of Noble’s hands.
Bring back Frampton.
Put Crisp back on the ball (he’s been building form).

Think the BigFooty board could take over coaching the pies until at least September!

Play Howe on Sicily as a defensive forward (he showed against Carlton that he can kick goals).
Put Nick back in defence, we need to regain that movement from defence. Take the responsibility out of Noble’s hands.
Bring back Frampton.
Put Crisp back on the ball (he’s been building form).

I feel like it's time to move Nck back to defence too. He's being crunched too much in the midfield and his output is down. A more defensive midfielder like Crisp, who can play on the big champions (Bont, Cripps, etc) might work better.

Hill for Wilbur
Frampton for Cox as second ruck and as a taller, stronger defender
Howe up forward.
Lipinski as sub to offer some run.

I'd also like to see Nick to half back adding run and taking kick outs. Perhaps Crisp into the midfield.
No room for Ash Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back