Game Day Collingwood v Gold Coast Saturday 4.35pm HBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sons of the Suns

So, I kinda have a soft spot for the expansion teams. Partly it’s because I hate dead-head stupidity of League (Union is a good game though), partly because I have no historic hatred of them and so I end up hoping they win against the vileness of Carlton, the repugnance of West Coast, the mendacity of Essendon and slipperiness of Richmond. And then they get raided for their best players like a Middle Eastern country with too much oil gets done by the USA. Generations have come and gone and they still haven’t won anything. This week we’re facing the sons of the suns.

And Gold Coast seem to be coming slowly good. And by good I mean average. They probably won’t make finals – again – but next year, right? Poor bastards.

But they’re a decent team and they have talent: Rowell and Anderson in the middle, Witts in the ruck, Lukocious and King in the forward line, Ballard in the back. They have talent everywhere you look. But their bottom six players aren’t within a mile of ours. And their game plan relies on contest-to-contest brutality.

They’re competitive but missing a few pieces.

The Might Magpies

We’re now missing only one top-22 player. No, not Bianco you flighty Magpies! De Goey. Well, two if you count Sidebottom, apologies. Otherwise, we’re in perfect shape as we come into the last third of the year.

I still think we should be managing our players more and rotating fringe players in and out of the senior team/sub vest. This because we’re likely to get a few injuries on the run home and second because we need to protect the elder statesmen (Elliot, Pendlebury, Adams, etc), the elite (Moore, Daicos) and we need to look to the future.

But we’ve nothing to worry about. Not this week either.

Sure, it’s on Gold Coast’s home deck. Sure, they’re improving. Sure, they’ll worry us for little patches. But if we show up, we’ll win.

No changes foreseeable this week.

The Washup

Pies by 23 points
as we come into the Gold Coast like Desert Storm, raze their Legoland suburb by the beach to the ground and leave with 4 points worth of football oil. Gold Coast will be our modern-day colony for yet another year.

Good preview Finnish.
I can't wait to get out there and to a Broadbeach pub afterwards.
Gold Coast have some highly talented midfielders and defenders and will be a handful.
Their forwards however are horrible kicks for goal and as long as Levi and King continue spraying them, hopefully the Pies will get up by 25 points.

Good preview Finnish.
I can't wait to get out there and to a Broadbeach pub afterwards.
Gold Coast have some highly talented midfielders and defenders and will be a handful.
Their forwards however are horrible kicks for goal and as long as Levi and King continue spraying them, hopefully the Pies will get up by 25 points.

Thanks mate. Enjoy the weather too! I'm stuck working in Melb..... in the ice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ll need to lower our eyes or kick chaos balls at every opportunity, that’s for sure.
I’m still partially suspicious that we might pull a late change and bring Freddie in.

Billy is good in the ruck but the whole idea people are floating of him playing on Casboult in both ruck and defence in a tag style thing seems pretty clunky to me. We’re in good hands and all but it seems a tad doubtful imo

On the one hand it should be a comfortable win. On the other hand it has the makings of a trap gane. Our form has been a smidge down from peak performance, the Suns are desperate to stay in the 8.

That said I just don't see how they do it. The game plan for beating us is high pressure and retaining possession while kicking straight, and only a few clubs in the comp have the ability to maintain that against us for 4 quarters. I don't think the Suns are one of them; too fumbly/the skills just aren't at a high enough level.

Call me a fool, but I'd have thought Cox the obvious match for Witts at the clearances, with Cameron in the forward line hoping to snag a mark and goal. Many have commented on how Cameron barely leaves the ground when he contests and demand Cox's presence in the ruck contests. Witts should have it easy against a smaller opponent who some claim wears lead lined boots. Selection with Johnson omitted seems to have forced this match up. Unless there are those who think Frampton might have something hidden in his bag of tricks that might negate Witt's influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back