Toast Round 16 = Gold Coast 42-120 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

It was great, but just a small word of caution.
The two games we've lost have been when the opposition blocked the corridor and slowed us down.
That said I'm sure Fly is working on ways to counteract that.
Nick Daicos in the middle will no doubt have something to do with it.
Today was exhilarating footy.
Go Pies!!

The key is winning contests, the Dees and Lions owned us in the middle and were able to set the ground up how they liked.

If our mids bring that sort of heat in the big games, no side is going with us.

Cox is not slow and lumbering. Despite loads of evidence to the contrary commentators love to say the same. He is surprisingly quick for a man of his size.
“For a man of his size” are the key words here.

I was also told by many on here that i was crazy for suggesting that Ginni was not in our best team.

Adams has been good - however he lacks leg speed and his disposal will never be elite. Great player and servant but if everyone is fit and available then imo he misses out.
Adams is faster than Titch, Pendles, and Sidey.
He’s kicking goals, hitting I50 targets AND playing inside mid. And his grunt in the last QTR against Adel is one of the reasons we won.

His impact is far greater today than in the past.
He’s not getting dropped.

“For a man of his size” are the key words here.
Exactly!

I don’t disagree that he’s not slow for a man of his size. He’s not bad at all for someone that size!
But overall it’s undeniable he’s slow compared to others on the field.
Frampton actually isn’t. That centre square run where he kicked a goal didn’t looked decently agile!

would be great to see hills heat map (do they still do these?)

searching runs off the half back line when teams are pressing high give us another fantastic exit option ... some of his runs last night really opened up play

would be great to see hills heat map (do they still do these?)

searching runs off the half back line when teams are pressing high give us another fantastic exit option ... some of his runs last night really opened up play
Edit: I do not know why this photo is so enormous in the thread ? apologies
IMG_1147.png

No.

They're not bringing him straight into the seniors. He'll be playing at VFL level for multiple weeks.
Why though? Lippa was out from the practice match and came straight back. Howe was out from round one, came straight back. Both had bigger injuries and absences than McStay.
Curious why you think he’ll spend some weeks in the twos? What does that benefit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

They're not bringing him straight into the seniors. He'll be playing at VFL level for multiple weeks.
He will probably play a game in the VFL. Not sure it will be more than one though.

Exactly. Fly said only minutes today, had he played. So not sure why anyone would think it would be more than that beyond next week.
If he looks good on the track, wouldn’t surprise to see him selected for Friday.

This play is where you start to think that Frampton could be our best second ruck. Has more mobility and pace than Cox or Cameron. Think defence and 2nd ruck are his chances of making the team.

Had some nice kicks and marks when moved to defence as well.

No matter what happens with selection from here, he's been a great pick-up. Having a tall that can cover defence, ruck and forward is, at worst, great insurance. Has already played all three positions this year.
Great post. Highlights how wrong bf can be. Pre-season Frampton was the poor cousin. Turns out he was the trump card. Gotta give some faith in our recruitment team. I really hope, for his sake, he finds a permanent position and doesn't end up being a two bit player. Way better than the record he came with.
I reckon it was Dunstall on the broadcast who said Frampton was auditioning for Cox's position. I thought he was wrong and he just forgot about McStay and Johnson, but in reality he could he right.

Our backline is currently at full strength and whilst everyone else is performing, there's no spot for Frampton down back.

Once McStay comes back he's purely forward, form permitting. The forward-ruck role is Cox's at the moment because no one is doing it better. But if Frampton can keep getting 1-2 goals a game and start rucking, Cox may find it hard to keep his spot.

Basically I think we can only play 3 of Cox/Mihocek/Frampton/McStay/Johnson if Frampton is forward.
Nah. Cox can play first ruck (well) and forward (reasonably well, definitely x factor). Frampton can play second ruck, fill in anywhere else. Lots of water to wash under the bridge before any clarity on this positioning happens and I would have Cameron more under threat than Cox. Cameron has been ordinary and has the x factor of a y chromosome.

Great post. Highlights how wrong bf can be. Pre-season Frampton was the poor cousin. Turns out he was the trump card. Gotta give some faith in our recruitment team. I really hope, for his sake, he finds a permanent position and doesn't end up being a two bit player. Way better than the record he came with.

Nah. Cox can play first ruck (well) and forward (reasonably well, definitely x factor). Frampton can play second ruck, fill in anywhere else. Lots of water to wash under the bridge before any clarity on this positioning happens and I would have Cameron more under threat than Cox. Cameron has been ordinary and has the x factor of a y chromosome.
It might be clever but Cameron has been good in a number of games. He gives his all and it is the current ruck combo that has taken us on this magnificent 18 month ride of a lifetime. I would not be tinkering a few weeks out from September.

Why though? Lippa was out from the practice match and came straight back. Howe was out from round one, came straight back. Both had bigger injuries and absences than McStay.
Curious why you think he’ll spend some weeks in the twos? What does that benefit?

Because Frampton keeps putting the runs on the board.

McStay needs a couple of games in the 2's to find some touch.

Lippa and Howe are top 5-6 players from last season so they were always coming straight in.

Is this to me? Use the reply button if you want someone to respond to you.

Assuming you’re talking to me, best 22 this week, assuming McStay isn’t fit to play:

B: IQ Murphy Howe
HB: Crisp Moore Maynard
C: J Daicos Mitchell Noble
HF: Lipinski Mihocek McCreery
F: Hill Cox Elliott
R: Daicos Cameron JDG

Bench: Pendlebury Adams Frampton Mitchell

Sub: Markov

Markov and WHE interchangeable as sub. WHE probably provides more versatility as sub, but he also plays well as a faux key forward in the absence of McStay.

Anyone on the bench is capable of starting on the ground. Being on the bench is no indication of whether I regard a player as fringe.
That's close but If McStay gets a block of games in, then I am selecting him over Cameron.

Where is Sidebottom?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back