Toast Round 12 = West Coast 57-120 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. That first bloke needs to look at the table. He says careless, high contact, severe impact (which is right)

Correct.

… but then says it will go straight to the tribunal …

Which is also correct, it will go to the tribunal under the guidelines.

… with a 4 or 5 week outcome…

nah, he said “3, 4 or 5 week outcome’. The published guidelines say “3+”, so I guess “3, 4, or 5” is technically correct.

, despite his gradings meaning he doesn't go straight to the tribunal and is offered 3 weeks. Its only straight to the tribunal if it's graded intentional.

Not true. “High contact”, “severe impact” and “careless” goes straight to the tribunal …

Hire Carlton’s lawyer.

Hewitt had the ball when JDG went towards him.

Hewitt runs at him full pelt and dished the ball very last second so it was in the play. JDG turns at last minute and as Hewitt is lower down driving his legs, he hits him in the chin from what I saw. He did not set out to hit a young player in the head.

Split second decision not to tackle probably as the ball came out but to use his body to effect the hand pass and angle Hewitt came in at contributes to the high contact.

Based upon Cripps, Pickett, Caminiti , probably out for 3 weeks. With Carlton’s lawyer could get it to 2.

Media talking up the drama for clicks. It is a pretty straightforward 3 week suspension. Cornes as an ex-tagger advocates for dirty tactics against Nick one minute, next minute says this is dirty.

Will miss Dees, Crows and Suns.

Back for the dogs. We had to manage without him last year due to Bali.

We will be fine with Elliot, Lipinski and Howe to come in as quality players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's a bit silly to suggest he'd get less with Cripps lawyer. Cripps lawyer got him off on a technicality... perhaps you were joking.

Nope. Any severe impact, body or high, gets you a trip to the Tribunal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Whoops you're right. I was the one who needed to read the table. It's 3+. Straight to the tribunal.

AFL had Camiti as intentional and only asked for 4, so I doubt they push for more than 3. Could though. ******* hope not

It just comes down to their table of consequences.

The tribunal decided that Caminiti's was careless and not intentional.

So Careless, high contact, severe impact for the concussion spits out to 3 weeks.

I was under the impression that bumps were graded as intentional, which would make it 4, but I was wrong, so it should get the same grading as Caminiti. Careless, high contact, severe impact - 3 weeks.

The bump can be intentional but hitting the guy high wasn't it so it should be careless.

MRO isn’t run by a bunch of rhythmic gymnastics judges who hold up cards “7.8”, “8.2”, “5.3” based on how spectacular or outrageous the incident was.

There is a very clear published set of guidelines.

Those guidelines ask three very simple questions, which in DeGoey’s case have 3 very obvious answers:

Q1: Where on the body was contact made? The obvious answer to that is “head”. Which is interpreted as “high on the body”

Q2: Was impact low, medium, high or extreme? Ie: what was the impact to the other player? Given that the player was concussed (and will miss a week himself) then the answer to that is “extreme”. That might seem tough, but that’s the age we’re in.

Q3: Was the act careless or intentional? It was clearly careless, nobody is suggesting DeGoey intended to concuss him.

If you put “High contact” + “extreme impact” + “careless” into the guidelines you get “3+ weeks (Tribunal)”

Don’t set yourself up for outrage and disappointment by expecting only 2 weeks.

Can't remember if Degoey has any tribunal history but does that come into it?

Last edited:
It's a bit silly to suggest he'd get less with Cripps lawyer. Cripps lawyer got him off on a technicality... perhaps you were joking.

Yeah, you’d think he’d either get minimum 3, or get off altogether (The “Cripps’ lawyer” scenario). There’d be no universe in which he’d get only 2.

Can't remember if Degoey has any tribunal history but does that cosmetic into it?
I don’t think it’s relevant anymore.

I can recall he got suspended for a week for a dangerous tackle on Danger last year.

Whoops you're right. I was the one who needed to read the table. It's 3+. Straight to the tribunal.

AFL had Camiti as intentional and only asked for 4, so I doubt they push for more than 3. Could though. ******* hope not

Think it is as straightforward forward a 3 weeker as there could be. Reckon the guidelines should give MRO discretion to offer the 3 without automatically going to the bother of a Tribunal hearing.

The media have been starved of negative things to say about Collingwood, so when something like this happens, they swarm like a school of piranha. W**kers!
Here’s another saying 1 month

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it is as straightforward forward a 3 weeker as there could be. Reckon the guidelines should give MRO discretion to offer the 3 without automatically going to the bother of a Tribunal hearing.

Agree. I think the + would only come into it if it was an old fashioned premeditated hip and shoulder, rather than charging the ball carrier and having to make a split second decision when he handballs off

I appreciate your view of it, but I just can't see anything other than 3-4 weeks.

Hewett's been concussed which is an aggravating factor, and head high contact of any sort has never been under so much scrutiny as it is at the moment.
Buddy went for 1 week, Kozzie 2 weeks, and what did the Adelaide bloke get 3 or 4?

those saying it was a cheap shot or dog act are full of themselves. Not one WCE player went to JDG after it happened.

High contact, severe impact, careless, same as DeGoey’s would likely be you’d think
Mind boggling that the tribunal somehow swallowed that it was a football act rather than a deliberate strike behind play.

He ****ed up the bump. Got the kid high and Gooey will pay the price for that. It wasn’t a dirty hit, meaning to maim or hurt the young bloke and hitting him high certainly wasn’t intentional. Nothing at all sells and clickbaits like Collingwood does. And it gives grubby journos a reason to spew on about something new.

5804842a97e14a73ffc14ba8baf2dbb7.jpg

This stat was on TRSF this weekend.
Got to swap the order of the 2 teams who were 11+ in 2008 and 2009, otherwise the pattern isn't to my liking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back