Toast Round 10 = Carlton 57-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

We continue to win, but also continue not to be able to string 4 quarters together. We were rubbish in that third quarter, but were lucky that Carlton were equally s**t.

It felt like we switched off mid way through the second quarter, then didn't pick it back up again until the 4th. That's the one difference between this team and the 2010 team. I felt like that 2010 team was able to put 4 quarters together far more often and absolutely obliterate teams, rather than taking the foot off the peddle and relaxing for a quarter or two. It would be nice to see us string together full 4 quarter efforts more consistently, especially now that we have a much softer fixture.

I really don't want to see 15-20 point victories over North and the Eagles, we should be destroying them and properly boosting our percentage. It's great to be able to win close contested games in the 4th, there's also something to be said for beating a team handily after a quarter or two, and keeping the foot on the neck and destroying them rather than taking a quarter or two off.

I reckon the cap on rotations plays a huge part in this. Back in 2010 we would be upwards of 120+ rotations which kept players fresh, allowing us to put the foot down for longer.

With a cap of 75 i think there are times when tempo footy is required. We would all love to see us win every quarter, every week but as long as keep building solidly into the back half the year, then by finals time we'll be hitting our straps. It's a long season.

Macrae would be depth for Mitchell's role - no other roles really. Would you play Macrae as an inside mid instead of Mitchell against Melbourne? Because the next two weeks he wouldn't be up against finals quality AFL midfielders - so it wouldn't say much.

Personally, I think Adams is going fine. This board just hasn't yet bought into McRae's philosophy of not focussing on errors. He makes a lot of them, but he's a big factor in the whole ground intense effort based buy in that is making us go so well. Macrae just doesn't turn the intensity dial anywhere near as high as Tay does.

You couldn't honestly come up with this assessment after his performance yesterday? Yes, our game plan invites mistakes but TA butchered it beyond belief.

I love this breakdown and will offer my layman counter point as a possibility as to why something like this could be intentional?

Working our through this set up via handball forces Carlton to abandon some of their structure which may help us better protect a potential turnover?
Possibly, to be honest I feel like he might've just not seen WHE way in front there which is why that opportunity was missed. But I'd argue 9 times out of 10 it makes sense to kick it long there, so often this year we've had real good runs through the corridors be bottled by two or three handballs that go astray and because we've all moved forward the other team scoops it up and immediately has the advantage on the counter. I'm not saying to never handball it ever but just to be smarter and more efficient with how we go forward in those situations

Agree with this. We are deadly during fast transitions, but we could be better and have overused the handball lately. That's a great example you've shared, and there would be several more that are quite similar from yesterday.
I have no doubt McRae is probably showing that exact footage to the boys later this week, not even that it was necessarily a bad play (heck, it resulted in a goal so who cares right?) but in moments going forward where the execution of those skills can be the difference between winning and losing a game, well then it becomes really important to get those better habits in

You couldn't honestly come up with this assessment after his performance yesterday? Yes, our game plan invites mistakes but TA butchered it beyond belief.
TA has always had sketchy disposal, and decision making, and gives away too many frees. But he also brings a lot of grunt and pressure, plus leadership, and, curtailing opposition mids, & limits the demands on Mitchell to take on all of this blue collar work. Which no-one in the twos have shown they can do - to the same level. This is the conundrum. Macrae and Josh are better users, but dont have the same presence. Adams also has runs on the board re what he is capable of, with his AA blazer a sure sign of how effective he can be when he gets it right. Its just for McRae and co to get him back to that place again, and we should b very hard to beat, even for the Lions & demons

Silvani is worthless and weak.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Got flamed on a main board thread for saying he's the most unremarkable 100+ gamer I've ever watched - and only keeps his spot because he's vaguely a "role player" (aka they don't know wtf to do with him) and his last name starts with S and rhymes with Salami

The Irony of this is that it was Nick who made what was literally the worst of three options....something that he doesn't do very often.
So i think we can give this a pass :)

On a much more important note....how's the structural setup of that play!! That's just nigh on impossible to stop.
Say what you want about the execution of the play, but the game design and adherence from the team is just so consistent and disciplined.

We took the worst option and still couldn't help but score.
Even Mitchell, dead in front, decided to pass out to Josh.

Basically we did everything we could NOT to score and still couldn't help it.
That's what gives the team belief IMO.

...and us supporters the dreaded H word (Hope).
100%, if we're making 'errors' like that and still scoring I don't really mind. Score more than the opposition anyway we can is probably the most apt way to describe our playing philosophy at the moment and it's working to great effect for now

I have no doubt McRae is probably showing that exact footage to the boys later this week, not even that it was necessarily a bad play (heck, it resulted in a goal so who cares right?) but in moments going forward where the execution of those skills can be the difference between winning and losing a game, well then it becomes really important to get those better habits in
The only caveat I'd put on this is that there's no real indication of what's potentially in front of WHE.

If there's a player just outside of the screenshot then it becomes a riskier kick as it needs to travel approx. 30m which could give a player near the 50m line time to either intercept the ball or collect WHE as he's running towards goal and looking backwards at Daicos.

Love Tay Tay. Expect him to play play.

An arse as fine as his cannot be stopped.
QBw9kWUEwwzhEeqBon2qc_vFLC8ebwJMkm0AuoJnRnI.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. I discovered the blue abroad YouTube channel after our 4 point win over them last year. The malicious pleasure I take in their pain has made me a regular viewer.
The channel could lose a lot of lurking subscribers if Carlton ever become decent.
me too,

one thing i notice. None of them want to win to for the joy of the win. They all want to win so they can s**t down over other teams supporters

Completely agree. All due respect for Adams as he's an absolute servant of this club, but he was real poor yesterday. The worst decision is indecision and when he did make a decisive disposal is was usually a complete hospital handpass.

I think that's a symptom of a wider problem with this team, making 3 handballs for what should have/could have been a good long kick. There was a passage in that 2nd quarter that perfectly exemplified this issue (pictured below). Still resulted in a goal in the end but if we can clean up this sort of thing we'll be next to unstoppable on the transition
View attachment 1693799
telling moment in the last where walsh got a holding the ball decision against adams ..... seconds before you had crisp, johnson and mcreery running forward - adams chooses to turn back into traffic resulting in the walsh tackle

I can't believe I was nervous for this game lol at me haha

Yep, I thought it was a danger game and historically when I make a call like this, I’m generally right. I couldn’t be more wrong on this occasion. LMAO.

The way I read this game was simple. We did what we had to do just to keep a handy break at all times and take the 4 points. We went at about 80% in the second half.

We can unleash for a massive percentage booster over the next 2 weeks, but we don’t have to go for the absolute kill and risk the health of the players. As long as the percentage trajectory is heading in the northern direction, we should be in good stead come September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got flamed on a main board thread for saying he's the most unremarkable 100+ gamer I've ever watched - and only keeps his spot because he's vaguely a "role player" (aka they don't know wtf to do with him) and his last name starts with S and rhymes with Salami
Well they are Right.

He is Massively Overrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back