Toast PF = Collingwood 58-57 GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if they've revised the rules or if it's just fresh on the mind after the whole Deven Robertson running around shirtless for a while in our Brisbane game
Lipinski had his ripped and didn’t seem like he was instructed to get off. I wonder if Cox turned around and said no I need to get to the centre it’s not my rotation. Free kick GWS lol

I wonder if they've revised the rules or if it's just fresh on the mind after the whole Deven Robertson running around shirtless for a while in our Brisbane game

I don’t remember ever seeing so many ripped footy jumpers in a single season. Lightweight but not tough enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My wife is a Collingwood supporter, I am definetely not. She supported me during the Tiger's flags and I'm repaying the favour. From an outsider looking in, the way you guys play is built for finals footy, completely pressure packed. Brizzy Lions haven't felt that level pressure/heat yet, IMO. Not like you guys will bring. Go get em Pies

My wife is a Collingwood supporter, I am definetely not. She supported me during the Tiger's flags and I'm repaying the favour. From an outsider looking in, the way you guys play is built for finals footy, completely pressure packed. Brizzy Lions haven't felt that level pressure/heat yet, IMO. Not like you guys will bring. Go get em Pies

You are a great hubby!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think I might kick back this afternoon and watch the replay, sunshine be damned.

Kick Back Relax GIF by Stellify Media

So the media narrative continues.

Why gws lost, not why Collingwood won.

• the crowd got them over the line
  • the umpires
  • good defence but nothing else, even then were lucky, more hung on like desperate amateurs. Just like the Melbourne game.
  • gws far and away the better team after qt time but made crucial mistakes.
  • pies didn't have any blunders can't possibly play better.
  • Daniels off for concussion protocols, no mention of JDG off for the last 8 mins.
  • No mention of Cox off for a jumper change, for memory didn't get back on.

None the less, the Pies are sh*t and every other finalist is outstanding.

• the umpires
  • good defence but nothing else, even then were lucky, more hung on like desperate amateurs. Just like the Melbourne game.
  • Daniels off for concussion protocols, no mention of JDG off for the last 8 mins.

Who cares. As Collingwood supporters we are used to this. My friends were messaging me about the umpires, like I give a *.

We’ll be watching our team play next week, they won’t be.

• the umpires

Hodgey is still sooking about the umpires. As is Caro.

Nobody seems to be calling Toby Greene out for clearly dropping his knees in the head high tackle, which the umpire saw and called correctly.

Last edited:

Nobody seems to be calling Tony Greene out for clearly dropping his knees in the head high tackle, which the umpire saw and called correctly.
It was a simple, clear cut case of applying the Ginnivan Rule to someone other than Ginnivan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Brisbane player did the same last night and the ump didn’t pay it. I was applauding him on a great decision.

It’s crazy the amount of complaining about that decision. Even in the still of the incident you can see the left arm was raised to force the tackle high. Laughable.

Nobody seems to be calling Toby Greene out for clearly dropping his knees in the head high tackle, which the umpire saw and called correctly.
The week before Toby didn't get a free for a high as well & it was posted online...interestingly all the oppo supporters were accusing Toby of ducking & bending the knees last week. Yet this week, he doesn't get paid a high free & it's the umpires and the AFL conspiring to ensure Pies are in the GF 😆

I'm curious as to where all these crooked umpires were in last year's Prelim when they missed the push in the back to Moore..or the 2018 GF when Bruzzy was blocked if the comp is fixed to give Collingwood a premiership.

And Toby never gets a high free paid. He suffers from this as much as Ginni does.

• This is true.

[*]the umpires

It was umpired in line with standard finals footy where the umpires put their whistles away. Both teams were unlucky to not get calls.

[*]good defence but nothing else, even then were lucky, more hung on like desperate amateurs. Just like the Melbourne game.

AFL pro-tip: (And this is a very complex concept very few oppo supporters have been able to get their head around, but I’ll do my best to explain it …)

AFL footy is not about kicking goals, or defensive structures, or wining clearances …

… it’s about scoring more points than your opponent by the time the final siren sounds.

That’s it.

People who say that we’re lucky clearly haven’t watched our games. And they clearly don’t get it.

[*]gws far and away the better team after qt time but made crucial mistakes.

Well, yeah. Teams don’t make mistakes in isolation - their opponent has a say in it.

[*]pies didn't have any blunders can't possibly play better.

Pies did exactly what they needed to do to win the game.

[*]Daniels off for concussion protocols, no mention of JDG off for the last 8 mins.

I think that was more a swipe at the ARC reaching in to order a HIA.

JDG was our own fault.

Collingwood have secured their spot in the 2023 AFL Grand Final, after outlasting GWS by 1 point. The opening quarter saw the Magpies get off to a fast start with the first two goals of the game, while managing to keep the Giants goalless and take a quarter time lead of 11 points at the first change. The second term was when the Giants hit back by converting their chances in front of goal, while the Pies failed to kick a goal during the quarter, which then resulted in the Giants turning an 11-point deficit into a lead of 10 points at half time. Momentum shifts continued after the main break in the third term, with the Woods having the wood over the Giants for most of the quarter by booting 5 goals to 2 and regain the lead at three quarter time by 4 points. The last quarter became an absolute tussle and scrap with hardly any goals being kicked. The Giants booted 2 goals to 1, but were not able to deny Collingwood's plucky, tenacious and fearless approach at ground level, which eventuated in Collingwood's favour when the game was there to be won and ultimately prevailed by 1 point to make the Grand Final next weekend on the last Saturday in September.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from indicators such as hit-outs by +17 (45 - 28), +18 for clearances (44 - 26), centre clearances had a margin of +3 ( 11 - 8 ), while stoppage clearances had a differential of +15 (33 - 18). Tackles were claimed by +8 (68 - 60), Tackles Inside 50 were won narrowly by +1 ( 8 - 7 ), while marks were claimed by +9 (98 - 89), uncontested marks by +14 (87 - 73), and +4 for Inside 50s (52 - 48). GWS won their categories from sources such as disposals by +21 (377 - 356), +21 for handballs (154 - 133), contested possessions had an advantage of +14 (154 - 140), uncontested possessions were won by +3 (211 - 208), intercept possessions were up by +5 (83 - 78), while turnovers had a deficit of -6 (83 - 77). Contested marks were won by +5 (16 - 11), +5 for intercept marks (83 - 78), and Marks Inside 50 had a differential of +3 ( 11 - 8 ). Both teams (223 apiece) recorded the same number of kicks.

Jordan De Goey (34 disposals @ 74%, 463 metres gained, 17 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 17 kicks, 17 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements, 13 clearances, 5 centre clearances, 8 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) was sublime all night with his ability to break tackles and create territory from clearances making him the most influential player on the ground.

Scott Pendlebury (25 disposals @ 68%, 404 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 9 handballs, 8 marks, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) created territory and ball movement with each of his possessions that gave his team every chance of keeping possession or scoring from the chains that he was involved in.

Steele Sidebottom (24 disposals @ 58%, 537 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements, 7 clearances, 6 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) started like a freight train with his ball-winning ability on the wing where he was amongst the action in the first term, before drifting in and out of the game thereafter. Sidebottom ensured he was a marking option for his teammates at all times, while producing territory with every kick.

Tom Mitchell (24 disposals @ 62%, 276 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 15 handballs, 3 marks, 10 tackles, 4 clearances & 3 stoppage clearances) played to his strengths by winning the contested ball and feeding the footy by hand to teammates, while tackling with purpose to deny the Giants easy possessions on the outside of contests throughout the entire night.

Jack Crisp (19 disposals @ 63%, 541 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 4 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was really aggressive and attacking with his ball movement and decision-making enabling his team's ability to score from his possessions, while impacting the scoreboard with an excellent goal from a forward 50 stoppage in the first term.

Josh Daicos (18 disposals @ 61%, 405 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) started well with 12 disposals in the first half, before being shut down in the second half. His gather on the Shane Warne Stand wing to evade Josh Kelly and hit Will Hoskin-Elliott in the dying seconds ensured that Collingwood were able to milk the clock and ultimately win the game with that play.

Darcy Cameron (13 disposals @ 85%, 129 metres gained, 18 hit-outs, 8 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 4 handballs, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances & 2 Inside 50s) was immense with his marking around the ground across half-back to always ensure he was always there to compete in marking contests and take them when they were needed to be taken. Cameron also contributed in the ruck where he gave his midfield opportunities to win the ball first at centre bounces and stoppages.

Mason Cox (9 disposals @ 67%, 27 hit-outs, 4 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 2 contested marks, 3 tackles, 5 score involvements & 1 goal) was tremendous in the first quarter with most of his hit-outs going to advantage, and was able to base his game on the back of his ability to win his ruck contests. Cox came up with a critical mark and goal in the last quarter which proved to be enough when the final siren sounded.

Nick Daicos (28 disposals @ 68%, 520 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 13 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 2 score involvements, 6 clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) started the game on the bench before going forward in the first term where he would stay for most of the first half. Nick moved behind the ball after half time to generate ball movement from defence and was still able to attack the game with purpose. Daicos also managed to conjure entries for his forwards even though the investment did not match the numbers.

Isaac Quaynor (19 disposals @ 74%, 491 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 6 handballs, 8 marks, 4 tackles, 3 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) is playing career-best footy presently, and he was able to do it by taking several marks that denied and thwarted each attempt that the Giants had up forward, while Quaynor was prepared to roll up and be equally attacking with several kicks going long to a contest at half-back, before Quaynor exited defence a few times to give his forwards opportunities to take marks or bring the ball to ground.

Brayden Maynard (18 disposals @ 100%, 405 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) made accurate and effective decisions with his ball use coming out of defence, while holding his marks when they were needed to be taken to deny the Giants any shots at goal they may've had.

Jeremy Howe (15 disposals @ 93%, 352 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 4 handballs, 10 marks, 2 contested marks, 4 tackles, 2 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) was an irrepressible force behind the ball for the Magpies, with his ability to take intercept marks at will, before generating serious rebounds and territory with every kick going long to a contest.

Jamie Elliott (10 disposals @ 70%, 115 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements & 1 goal) had a mixed bag in front of goal where he kicked one goal from three attempts, but he remained lively and busy in the second half, after recording just 2 disposals at half time.

Bobby Hill (9 disposals @ 67%, 130 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 2 score involvements & 1 goal) contributed to the result with a crucial goal and the third term, and maintained a high level of pressure.

(Beau McCreery (8 disposals @ 75%, 5 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements & 1 goal) tackled hard, provided a marking option up forward, before snapping a goal from close range in then all-important third term.

(Brody Mihocek) 8 disposals @ 50%, 165 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) presented well at marking contests by either taking marks or bringing the ball to ground, while his pressure was at a good level and he managed to kick a vital goal in the shadows of three quarter time.

Daniel McStay (5 disposals @ 60%, 104 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 2 uncontested possessions, 4 kicks, 4 marks, 2 contested marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements & 2 goals) had the greatest impact out of all of Collingwood's forwards with his presence up forward coming to the fore, where he took critical marks, and was mostly accurate before being subbed out of the game with a knee injury. His MCL strain has cruelly denied him a chance at becoming a premiership player against his former club next weekend.

Collingwood's next game will be against the Brisbane Lions on September 30 at the MCG. No better time to equal Carlton and Essendon's premiership tally than now, and to get one back on the Lions in the process. Collingwood's ball use will need to be smart when they're making advancements to their forwards. Look for short kicks before being forced to kick long to a contest, and make it a ground level game to diminish Brisbane's greatest strength, which is their aerial marking. Take away that threat, it will go a long way to securing Collingwood's 16th premiership cup in VFL/AFL history.

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpeg
    IMG_0670.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0671.jpeg
    IMG_0671.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
He’s a star yes, but more deserving hmm.
Elliott, Howe and Moore as if not more deserving
Battled injuries, prolonged careers.
Big boy Toby will be fine, he’ll get over it.
He can come win a flag here after toiling away at other clubs for his prime - just like Tom Mitchell

Why have ripped jumpers suddenly become a thing? Are the jumpers ripping more easily now? Can’t recall seeing so many. And shocked to see all these torsos on display - complaining for a friend.
Said the same thing to my daughter on Friday night when Lipinski’s ripped - are they now made of tissue paper?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back