Toast Round 16 = Gold Coast 42-120 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

The key is winning contests, the Dees and Lions owned us in the middle and were able to set the ground up how they liked.

If our mids bring that sort of heat in the big games, no side is going with us.
our transition attack from D50 has only started to click into gear these past couple of weeks. bodes well for us that we have another avenue to goal if we get clogged up like on KingsBday

would be great to see hills heat map (do they still do these?)

searching runs off the half back line when teams are pressing high give us another fantastic exit option ... some of his runs last night really opened up play
He and McCreery both do this really well. They are often in 1v1s on the high back flank which they turn into foot races (that they usually win)

That's close but If McStay gets a block of games in, then I am selecting him over Cameron.

Where is Sidebottom?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
I’m running with who we have available. If McStay is available, Frampton or McStay go out. When Sidebottom comes back in, WHE is the potential out. He’d be stiff, just as anyone else who misses at this point, but by the numbers Adams is more impactful in almost every category and provides an in-and-under option in the middle if either of Mitchell or Jordy go down.

Our big man options are very interesting at the moment with Cox, Cameron, Frampton, McStay, Kreuger and AJ all fighting for about 3 spots in the team. Here is my take on where they are all at:

Cox has played 10 games this year and kicked 14 goals. He is great for our structure and brings the ball to the ground or marks it more then many key forwards. He is who we look at when we bomb it long to at least provide a contest. He is a tough match up in the ruck for even the best rucks due to his height. He is probably the worst of the lot when the ball hit the ground however if you run off him he is capable of catching those average pased mids.

Frampton is our most versatile big man and can play anywhere on the ground. He is fast in a straight line and a solid mark and kick although not as good a contested mark as Cameron or Cox but still good. He is not quite as good in the ruck as Cameron or Cox but he better then most 2nd rucks.

Cameron is an okay ruck who like Grundy is good at ground level when rucking which is probably why he is our preferred ruck. He is a very good contested mark and I would have said before this year a good set shot. I feel that at his best he is better then Frampton as a ruck and a forward although he is down on form because he is coming back from an injury. However I wouldnt be surprised to see him hit some form in the next 3-6 weeks.

McStay was bought in to play a role which is similar to what Cox has done this year which is to provide a contest for that high ball coming in and make Mihocek's job easier. He has the best work rate out of all the other players on this list and provides the most forward pressure of anyone on this list due to his big tank. He has shown at Brisbane that he can ruck although he struggles to get many tap outs. His kicking for goal statistically is the most accurate out of anyone on this list and he is a good kick inside of 50. He can also play up the ground if needed due to his big tank and can play in defence if needed.

Kreuger is the most athletically gifted out of all the listed players and is the best of the bunch on the ground. He provides good pressure and is probably the fastest player on this list. He is also the biggest kick on this list. However probably like AJ I feel he would be a poor choice to ruck and when he does he doesnt provide much of a contest. He also struggles to get on the park due to his reckless attack. He is the most gifted forward out of all of this group athletically.

AJ is the bloke you want to take that kick from the boundry line for goal and his kicking action is one of the best in the league. Until recently he has looked like a beautiful mark in the air but not a great contested mark. Unfortunately he has looked like a one trick pony and he struggles to provide that forward pressure that McStay or Kreuger could provide. He has an amazing leap and can provide a contest in the ruck but really struggles against real ruckmen due to his size.

My current preference is Cox, Cameron and Frampton however if McStay had to come in I would be dropping Cameron first and Frampton second.

Cameron is a better footballer than McStay.

Absence has made the heart grow fonder with people's opinions on McStay.
Cameron is one of our whipping boys, along with WHE and AJ.
Darcy was very good in the last quarter against Adelaide last week.
He's also building fitness and form after a long injury layoff, so his best footy requires more match time.

Cameron is not playing to his capacity. If that doesn’t change he will lose his spot.

Fantastic performance. Some of our passages of play are just breathtaking in their audacity and execution. Our pressure on the Suns was great most of the match too. You beauty.!!!!

My favorite was when it started with an IQ handball in our half back flank to a running mark and goal by Hill.

Sublime to watch…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be clever but Cameron has been good in a number of games. He gives his all and it is the current ruck combo that has taken us on this magnificent 18 month ride of a lifetime. I would not be tinkering a few weeks out from September.
Cameron is great. He, along with more than 23 players, have been a team which has carried us all. I have no problem with Cameron or his style. The problem is some one has to give. Frampton has given his all, AJ has played a role he was never suited for. Bottom line is the pies are and will continue to tinker in the build up to the finals. I believe our best first ruck is Cox, its between him and Cameron. I can see Cox being pushed out of the forward ruck role by players like Mcstay. I can't see Cox being pushed out of the team for Cameron in first ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was going to play McStay in the VFL today though. So I can’t see why another week on the sidelines would make him think otherwise. Do you?
Depends on how they viewed the VFL. They had him as playing “minutes” if they viewed this as an extra training drill for him before his senior return, I could imagine that they might bring him straight in if he trains well this week.

It’s going to be an interesting watch.

Cameron is great. He, along with more than 23 players, have been a team which has carried us all. I have no problem with Cameron or his style. The problem is some one has to give. Frampton has given his all, AJ has played a role he was never suited for. Bottom line is the pies are and will continue to tinker in the build up to the finals. I believe our best first ruck is Cox, its between him and Cameron. I can see Cox being pushed out of the forward ruck role by players like Mcstay. I can't see Cox being pushed out of the team for Cameron in first ruck.
As I keep saying, Frampton, Cameron and Cox all played yesterday in one of our best wins this year and they all played in our best win of the season against the other flag favourite in Port. Why does anyone have to be ommitted?

Premiership favourites Collingwood put on a clinic to completely dismantle Gold Coast at Heritage Bank Stadium by 78 points, courteousy of a prolific first half, where the Magpies burnt the Suns below the horizon to put the contest beyond doubt. The margin at quarter time was 26 points in favour of Collingwood, before the Magpies piled on 7 goals in the second term to open up a lead of 62 points at half time The third term was a bit of a holding pattern where the Woods booted all of their goals in the third quarter within the first 10 minutes, until the Suns converted 4 majors in 11 minutes from the 17-minute mark until the 28-minute mark of the quarter to reduce Collingwood's margin to 57 points at the final change. The final term saw the Pies kick on and restore ground they had lost in the previous quarter to run out the game as victors by 78 points.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from sources such as disposals by +75 (404 - 329), kicks by +10 (231 - 221), +65 for handballs (173 - 108), while contested possessions had an advantage of +27 (146 - 119), +47 for uncontested possessions (240 - 193), intercept possessions were won by +7 (75 - 68), while turnovers had an outcome of -7 (67 - 74). Clearances had a differential of +5 (35 - 30), stoppage clearances were up by +5 (22 - 17), and tackles had a gap of +9 (61 - 52). Contested marks were won by +5 (14 - 9), followed by an advantage of +7 for intercept marks (75 - 68), while Marks Inside 50 were up by +8 (16 - 8), and Inside 50s had a margin of +17 (62 - 45). Gold Coast won their only statistical categories through hit-outs and marks, especially uncontested marks. Hit-outs were won by +9 (34 - 25), marks had a differential of +14 (106 - 92), and +19 for uncontested marks (97 - 78). Centre clearances (13 each) and Tackles Inside 50 (11 apiece) were the only statistical categories that were evenly shared and in dispute.

Nick Daicos (36 disposals @ 78%, 500 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 23 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 19 handballs, 7 marks, 10 tackles, 10 score involvements, 8 clearances, 5 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) had the footy on the end of a string in a game full of superlatives. Nick was exceptional at clearances, and was the catalyst in transitional ball movement from defence to attack in creating scoring chains with tremendous ball use and was highly influentual in the contest.

Tom Mitchell (30 disposals @ 70%, 598 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 21 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 15 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 8 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 7 Inside 50s) provided and produced territory with each of his kicks, linked up nicely with his handpasses opening up play for his team to move the ball, and was heavily involved in scoring thrusts.

Scott Pendlebury (27 disposals @ 70%, 276 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 14 handballs, 4 tackles, 10 score involvements, 6 clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) played a circumspect role, despite his accumulation of possessions that allowed his team to win the football and maintain possession accurately and effectively. Score involvement numbers were at a high level, of which Pendlebury was one of countless individuals who contributed to the damaging ball movement that Collingwood were able to do.

Josh Daicos (27 disposals @ 70%, 535 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) had a tremendous first half with 16 disposals that were very effective, accurate and impactful. Josh was quiet in the third term with just 2 disposals, before responding in the last quarter with 9 possessions to finish the game strongly.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (19 disposals @ 68%, 386 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) played a solid game on the wing where he was prepared to drift forward to take marks and create scoring opportunities for his teammates, while impacting the scoreboard himself.

Jack Crisp (19 disposals @ 68%, 430 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 8 handballs, 4 marks, 7 tackles, 6 score involvements, 2 clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 1 goal) found some form by winning the ball through the midfield and created many opportunities for his team's forwards, while booting a classy goal which he snapped from a marking contest off hands.

John Noble (30 disposals @ 87%, 535 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 25 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 12 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 7 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s, 5 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) generated so much drive and run out of Collingwood's defence with exquisite ball use again being a huge feature of his game.

Isaac Quaynor (24 disposals @ 96%, 286 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 15 handballs, 6 marks, 3 score involvements & 7 Rebound 50s) was a human brickwall with vice-like hands coming in handy with several excellent marks in defence, before moving the ball on safely to maintain possession by foot, and creating play with his handpasses that allowed Collingwood's game style to come to fruition.

Darcy Moore (20 disposals @ 90%, 335 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks, 3 contested marks, 3 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) led by example with terrific foot skills and assured marking to ensure his team had the best available cover and protection to save goals.

Oleg Markov (17 disposals @ 94%, 264 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks, 1 goal assist, 9 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) continues to impress with every game he plays at AFL level. His latest performance was his most influential and damaging as took marks behind the ball to stabilise play, and contributed to the team outcome of scoring goals, while booting his first goal in the third term for Collingwood to cap off an excellent outing.

Brayden Maynard (16 disposals @ 81%, 308 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) played a terrific game of footy where he pushed up beyond the defensive arc to kick the ball long at every opportunity with a high degree of effectiveness and accuracy.

Billy Frampton (15 disposals @ 73%, 404 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 2 contested marks, 2 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 2 goals) played his role well in defence, before being swung forward and managed to impact the scoreboard in impressive fashion.

Nathan Murphy (14 disposals @ 86%, 190 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 2 score involvements & 3 Rebound 50s) used the ball safely and effectively, while hauling in a few fearless marks.

Patrick Lipinski (23 disposals @ 61%, 272 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 7 kicks, 16 handballs, 3 marks, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) gathered the footy cleanly and dished off several handpasses to teammates running towards goal which caught the Suns off balance, and kicked a nice goal from a stoppage.

Taylor Adams (14 disposals @ 57%, 240 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 4 tackles, 4 goal assists, 9 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was very busy up forward with lead-up marks at the kicker, tackling numbers were good, and his ability to create scoring opportunities was tremendous and stupendous.

Beau McCreery (12 disposals @ 67%, 127 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 4 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) put on adequate pressure and created opportunities without kicking a goal.

Bobby Hill (12 disposals @ 58%, 187 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 4 handballs, 2 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements & 2 goals) showed his trademark speed away from his opponents to burst forward and finish off his work.

Jamie Elliott (11 disposals @ 82%, 264 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 6 marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 3 Tackles Inside 50, 9 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 5 goals) played his best game of the season with impeccable scoreboard impact that hasn't been seen for a number of weeks. Elliott also looked to create scores, and tackled with energy and purpose, while being a focal marking target up forward, from where he converted his opportunities.

Brody Mihocek (10 disposals @ 80%, 183 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 6 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) presented well to take his marks, and stayed involved in pressuring and tackling his opponents, despite being wasteful in front of goal where he did not take his chances.

Collingwood's next game will be against the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium on July 7. Now is the time to light up the Friday night stage against a side that have a damaging midfield headed by Tim English and Marcus Bontempelli and focal points up forward consisting of Aaron Naughton, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Rory Lobb. The Magpies will be be boosted by the return of Jordan De Goey who will look to have an influence and immediate impact in deciding the contest in Collingwood's favour.

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpeg
    IMG_0583.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
As I keep saying, Frampton, Cameron and Cox all played yesterday in one of our best wins this year and they all played in our best win of the season against the other flag favourite in Port. Why does anyone have to be ommitted?
As did McStay with big Billy down back.

It’s great we have options, McStay will play when fit for sure though. Like it or not Domester, he will.

It’ll be stiff for whoever comes out of the forward line for him.

We have so much speed elsewhere, these big 3 could do very well against Brisbane or Port in a GF

I expect one probably makes way for McStay

Could see Frampton as a sub protecting us against big man injury (even though a mid-sized runner may be preferred)

McStay was disappointing in his few outings this year. But we got him to be a key forward -- and a good one. A B+ player. Otherwise, it'd be poor list management.

Cameron has been a B player this year. First goal in the last game. Beaten in taps regularly. Marking around the ground has been average.

If Cameron is better than McStay then I'm worried.

I reckon it was Dunstall on the broadcast who said Frampton was auditioning for Cox's position. I thought he was wrong and he just forgot about McStay and Johnson, but in reality he could he right.

Our backline is currently at full strength and whilst everyone else is performing, there's no spot for Frampton down back.

Once McStay comes back he's purely forward, form permitting. The forward-ruck role is Cox's at the moment because no one is doing it better. But if Frampton can keep getting 1-2 goals a game and start rucking, Cox may find it hard to keep his spot.

Basically I think we can only play 3 of Cox/Mihocek/Frampton/McStay/Johnson if Frampton is forward.
Cox has been in far better form than Cameron.

Cox has been in far better form than Cameron.
Cox is also the best man at bringing our crumbing/pressure forwards into the game when we bomb it long to the forward line. Which is another reason why we prefer Cameron in the ruck and Cox forward. If we didnt have him there would be more intercept marking when we bomb it long.

Next day after having watched the game again this feels like it might be our turning point.

Really did manage to completely overwhelm an opposition noted for their pressure around the ball and banked a really solid 4 quarters.

Yes they did manage to get on a run of 4 goals to end the third quarter but we came back out after 3/4 time when renewed focus and finally managed to put a game away like a good team should.

hopefully we can use this as a platform to build on this over the next couple of weeks before we get an opportunity to put Port back in their box in round 19.

The disposal efficiency of 3 backmen, who all generated heaps of disposals, was impressive - Moore at 90%, Markov at 94% and Quaynor 96%. Add Murphy at 86%, Noble at 87% and Maynard at 81% and we have a group of defenders delivering the ball with great accuracy to players further up the field.

Next day after having watched the game again this feels like it might be our turning point.

Really did manage to completely overwhelm an opposition noted for their pressure around the ball and banked a really solid 4 quarters.

Yes they did manage to get on a run of 4 goals to end the third quarter but we came back out after 3/4 time when renewed focus and finally managed to put a game away like a good team should.

hopefully we can use this as a platform to build on this over the next couple of weeks before we get an opportunity to put Port back in their box in round 19.
I watched it today too. It was the best four quarter performance we’ve played this year. A full team effort.

The Melbourne game was clearly something going through the club. They didn’t use it as an excuse but they looked like they were flat and lethargic like you feel when fighting off Covid or the flu.

Adelaide was post bye so there was a bit of staying in holiday mode as teams have been doing.

This game felt like we’re now stamping ourselves as the genuine team to beat this year. Bye done, we’re more than halfway. It’s serious now. This is the run home and we are full blown challenging!

Last edited:
If Anderson and Rowell are untouchable the Bailey Humphrey Kid is the one for me.
His power, aggression, spark, mobility and skills I think will make him an absolute gun. Some of his play in the third quarter was very impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back