Moved Thread Garry Ablett Matthew Kennedy & God

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL will deal with it anyway, I'm over the notion that players are role models. I don't agree with his thoughts though and I wish people would keep these things to themselves.

Hypothetical. Say some white supremacist made a post about how black people deserve nothing but suffering for being black, and I clicked "Like" on it, how would you feel about that?
Same as I do for most of things. Ignore. However that example is a little different to the Folau post

The thing with all of this is that everyone is missing is that they aren't calling for gays, drunks ext to die or to suffer in real life. They are saying that they will go to a make believe bad place when they die. Most normal people know this place doesn't exist so why should we give a * who they think are going to that place?

We should be more concerned about these people like Folau and Ablett believing in this fictitious place and book tbh

Hypothetical. Say some white supremacist made a post about how black people deserve nothing but suffering for being black, and I clicked "Like" on it, how would you feel about that?
Hypothetical.

If I thought that black people are inferior and deserve nothing but suffering for being black and with technology you could read my thoughts. Should I be convicted of this thought crime?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a 36 year old gay male I don't find it offensive. These are the types of people that believe in a fictional being, good luck to them if that's what they choose to follow.

I do have concern it can have an effect on teenagers, those are incredibly tough years for a young boy or girl realising their sexuality. Its reckless for Folau and Ablett to think their out spoken beliefs wont have an impact on youths, whether its even something as small as a post or a like

Same as I do for most of things. Ignore. However that example is a little different to the Folau post

The thing with all of this is that everyone is missing is that they aren't calling for gays, drunks ext to die or to suffer in real life. They are saying that they will go to a make believe bad place when they die. Most normal people know this place doesn't exist so why should we give a **** who they think are going to that place?

We should be more concerned about these people like Folau and Ablett believing in this fictitious place and book tbh
Ok, what if I say black people deserve to go to hell unless they repent for being black. Do I get called out for the blatant racism based on my bullshit personal beliefs, or do we just ignore me?

Hypothetical.

If I thought that black people are inferior and deserve nothing but suffering for being black and with technology you could read my thoughts. Should I be convicted of this thought crime?
Nope. But if you made the conscious decision to broadcast those thoughts on a platform that reaches hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people, then you should suffer the consequences. The Folau situation isn't a thought crime though, and both Ablett and Kennedy were actively making their opinions known too

Ok, what if I say black people deserve to go to hell unless they repent for being black. Do I get called out for the blatant racism based on my bullshit personal beliefs, or do we just ignore me?
I'm sure many will say so. i Personally would chose to ignore it and move on thinking your a w***er. Similar to what I am doing with these guys.

I wouldn't do it or even condone it but I would give it the air time it deserves which is none. tbf on Ablett and Kennedy they didn't post any of this Folau did and that is why he is copping it.

I'm sure many will say so. i Personally would chose to ignore it and move on thinking your a w***er. Similar to what I am doing with these guys.

I wouldn't do it or even condone it but I would give it the air time it deserves which is none. tbf on Ablett and Kennedy they didn't post any of this Folau did and that is why he is copping it.
My issue with Ablett and Kennedy is that they have made it publicly known that they condone hateful beliefs like this. I do tend to agree on ignoring *******s like this usually and not giving them the exposure, but when it's someone this high profile and with this much influence, I really do think it's important to call it out. If, however, this was just some nobody idiot troll, then yeah I'd say ignore and move on (like the idiots who made racist comments about Liam Ryan, for example)

Nope. But if you made the conscious decision to broadcast those thoughts on a platform that reaches hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people, then you should suffer the consequences. The Folau situation isn't a thought crime though, and both Ablett and Kennedy were actively making their opinions known too
What if 60 minutes asks me my honest thoughts on the question and I honestly answer? Can you convict me for my thoughts now?

Did Ablett or Kennedy say anything about single mothers being statistically more likely to raise criminal sons?

Because that is one kind of crimethink which absolutely needs to be censured (and, ideally, censored).

If we let players have and share opinions of their own, which go against current orthodoxy, then things will be bad.

What if 60 minutes asks me my honest thoughts on the question and I honestly answer? Can you convict me for my thoughts now?
Who is being convicted? Folau breached his contract and is now being fired for it. Ablett and Kennedy have not faced consequence, they have just been called out (rightfully so). This may also be in breach of their own contracts (specifically surrounding social media use) but who knows. Either way, no one is being convicted for their "thoughts", Folau broadcasted a hateful opinion, and Ablett and Kennedy made it known that they like what he had to say

I hope the Cat's uniform is not made of woven fabrics.. and Gary has never eaten shellfish. And would he like to see women stoned for adultery?

But those parts of the Bible don't count, of course.

I have never understood why there are a handful of religious commandments, tenets and sometimes even just customs that everybody holds so dear. But at the same time, most people ignore or downright s**t on the other 90% that they are either too ignorant to learn to too lazy to adhere to.

At least the hardcore fundamentalists are consistent...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back