Review Round 2, 2019: Sandringham Zebras v Box Hill Hawks, 14 April 2019, 11.50am @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Harrison Jones won’t be too far away from making his AFL debut. I like what I’ve seen from him. He can play as an inside/outside midfielder and goes hard at the contest despite being lightly built.

A very solid win, considering the handful of players who weren't there, who usually would be had the seniors not had as many injuries

Lots to like about a bunch of our young players too

Interesting game. Sandy came out with intent, hounding the ball carrier and denying us space. This meant that BH couldn’t use their superior skills, but Sandy are an unskilled team and couldn’t capitalise. In the second half both Hawthorn and BH listed players lifted, Sandy couldn’t keep applying the same amount of pressure, and we sliced through them. Crisp ball movement is becoming a trademark of this BH team. Often our players will have significantly less disposal than the opposition, but have more of an impact. It can only take 4-5 kicks for a goal which makes me salivate. Here’s my player by player review for those who couldn’t watch:

Jones: A fumbly game from Jones, but there’s a lot to like. His defensive work is superb, and he’s literally at the bottom of every pack. He looks bigger than last year and I suspect with some more gym time he may become a force to reckon with. Would’ve had reasonably high ball numbers.

Glass: Looked surprisingly good as an inside midfielder. Got his hands to a considerable amount of ball which has usually been his problem. Can be very fumbly though which costs him time. Missed the fourth quarter with ice on his leg. Hopefully it’s just precautionary.

Lewis: An ‘almost’ game for Lewis. Got his hands to plenty of the high ball but just couldn’t take the mark. Did some decent work around the ground but it wasn’t his best game. I believe he still kicked 1 or 2 goals.

O’Brien: In the 2nd quarter was deployed to play the Shoemakers role of a linkup half-forward. Looked very impressive in that role, troubling defenders with good marking and good disposal. Ended up with two last quarter goals.

Ross: Extremely smart player. Is always in the right position to influence a contest and tends to make something out of nothing. Kicked 3 goals, but I think the most impressive part of his game was the crafty disposal that put teammates in advantageous positions. I distinctly remember a 40-metre handball that set up a goal. His development has been fantastic.

Hanrahan: Needs to get more involved. Did kick a fantastic goal but he made it 10x harder by fumbling what should have been a regulation snap. He has all the attributes but just doesn’t seem to get involved for long enough.

Moore: Quiet first half but lifted in the second. His second and third efforts were great, and directly led to 2-3 goals in the third quarter. Not his best game overall but he lifted when required. As an additional note, in the last quarter we used him as an inside midfielder. When he got the ball cleanly, he would evade 2-3 opponents and deliver. He did this multiple times and it did strongly remind me of S. Mitchell.

Jiath: Impressive with his defensive pressure – it’s almost like watching Cyril in the backline, opposition forwards always worry about him. He can suddenly come from 40 metres away to kill the ball. However, he still needs to work on his awareness. Loves taking the game on but multiple times he was lucky not be pinged HTB.

Golds: Big fan. Some of the things he did this game screamed elite, like a blind turn out of three players followed by a clean handball. He also likes to tackle, which is unique for a skinny outside player. Looked more rushed than usual, especially in the first half, which led to some errant disposal.

Greaves: Put his body on the line multiple times and looked promising. Played more on the wing and was involved in a lot of our forward thrusts. My only query with Greaves (based ONLY off this game) is he doesn’t seem to have any elite attributes. Just a well-rounded player.

Pittonet: Good duel with Longer. Probably an even battle in the end with no ruck really giving their midfield first use. Did more around the ground than Longer, though didn’t seem to have a presence up forward which is something he must improve if he wants senior exposure.

Kosi: Like Lewis except in the backline. If you watch Kosi carefully his positioning is exceptional. However, multiple times the ball would bounce off his hands. Plenty to like – especially when he delivered a 40-metre kick straight to chest of a teammate when exiting from defensive 50.

Brand: Good defensively. I also thought his disposal was effective this game, with some good long kicks. Solid game. Becoming a real leader in the backline.

Last edited:
Harrison Jones won’t be too far away from making his AFL debut. I like what I’ve seen from him. He can play as an inside/outside midfielder and goes hard at the contest despite being lightly built.
I'm not seeing it. Looks promising, but a little off senior football.

And yet, you wanted to give Lovell games last year even though his BHH's form was bog average.
I did?

Care to back that up with something? Anything?

Interesting game. Sandy came out with intent, hounding the ball carrier and denying us space. This meant that BH couldn’t use their superior skills, but Sandy are an unskilled team and couldn’t capitalise. In the second half both Hawthorn and BH listed players lifted, Sandy couldn’t keep applying the same amount of pressure, and we sliced through them. Crisp ball movement is becoming a trademark of this BH team. Often our players will have significantly less disposal than the opposition, but have more of an impact. It can only take 4-5 kicks for a goal which makes me salivate. Here’s my player by player review for those who couldn’t watch:

Jones: A fumbly game from Jones, but there’s a lot to like. His defensive work is superb, and he’s literally at the bottom of every pack. He looks bigger than last year and I suspect with some more gym time he may become a force to reckon with. Would’ve had reasonably high ball numbers.

Glass: Looked surprisingly good as an inside midfielder. Got his hands to a considerable amount of ball which has usually been his problem. Can be very fumbly though which costs him time. Missed the fourth quarter with ice on his leg. Hopefully it’s just precautionary.

Lewis: An ‘almost’ game for Lewis. Got his hands to plenty of the high ball but just couldn’t take the mark. Did some decent work around the ground but it wasn’t his best game. I believe he still kicked 1 or 2 goals.

O’Brien: In the 2nd quarter was deployed to play the Shoemakers role of a linkup half-forward. Looked very impressive in that role, troubling defenders with good marking and good disposal. Ended up with two last quarter goals.

Ross: Extremely smart player. Is always in the right position to influence a contest and tends to make something out of nothing. Kicked 3 goals, but I think the most impressive part of his game was the crafty disposal that put teammates in advantageous positions. I distinctly remember a 40-metre handball that set up a goal. His development has been fantastic.

Hanrahan: Needs to get more involved. Did kick a fantastic goal but he made it 10x harder by fumbling what should have been a regulation snap. He has all the attributes but just doesn’t seem to get involved for long enough.

Moore: Quiet first half but lifted in the second. His second and third efforts were great, and directly led to 2-3 goals in the third quarter. Not his best game overall but he lifted when required. As an additional note, in the last quarter we used him as an inside midfielder. When he got the ball cleanly, he would evade 2-3 opponents and deliver. He did this multiple times and it did strongly remind me of S. Mitchell.

Jiath: Impressive with his defensive pressure – it’s almost like watching Cyril in the backline, opposition forwards always worry about him. He can suddenly come from 40 metres away to kill the ball. However, he still needs to work on his awareness. Loves taking the game on but multiple times he was lucky not be pinged HTB.

Golds: Big fan. Some of the things he did this game screamed elite, like a blind turn out of three players followed by a clean handball. He also likes to tackle, which is unique for a skinny outside player. Looked more rushed than usual, especially in the first half, which led to some errant disposal.

Greaves: Put his body on the line multiple times and looked promising. Played more on the wing and was involved in a lot of our forward thrusts. My only query with Greaves (based ONLY off this game) is he doesn’t seem to have any elite attributes. Just a well-rounded player.

Pittonet: Good duel with Longer. Probably an even battle in the end with no ruck really giving their midfield first use. Did more around the ground than Longer, though didn’t seem to have a presence up forward which is something he must improve if he wants senior exposure.

Kosi: Like Lewis except in the backline. If you watch Kosi carefully his positioning is exceptional. However, multiple times the ball would bounce off his hands. Plenty to like – especially when he delivered a 40-metre kick straight to chest of a teammate when exiting from defensive 50.

Brand: Good defensively. I also thought his disposal was effective this game, with some good long kicks. Solid game. Becoming a real leader in the backline.

Awesome report. Thanks so much. Cheers

Looks like Brand & a couple of others might get a call up in the near future.

I did?

Care to back that up with something? Anything?

Alright.

Thread: Hawks vs Lions Changes and Preview – May 12, 2018

Abasi: Out: Langford, O'Brien, Whitecross

In: Lovell, O'Rourke, Lewis

I'm open to Schoe/Mirra taking Frawley's spot too.

Clarkson to bring out the tackling bags.

Bluespooner: Why would Lovell come in when he has been average at BHHs.

Abasi: Because Lovell has been playing as a forward/mid, much like Langford, only he has a football brain.

Bluespooner: Normally, you earn your place on the back of form in the VFL and well Lovell doesn't have any. Worpel and Cousins can play forward/mid and have played well in those roles in the ones.

Abasi: Only two games ago.
Kieran Lovell
25 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goals

“It was probably Kieran’s best game for us for the year. He certainly had a better second half than first, but that second was terrific. He took the game on and his agility is elite. He had nine clearances, was really clean and kicked two goals.” CN

Bluespooner: Those 25 disposals consisted of 10 kicks and 15 handballs. I don't reckon you would call that a domineering game from a midfielder in what was a 74 point romp. Also, he was not named in the best on the VFL website, although I note Langford was.

Abasi: You said Lovell doesn't have any form. He does.

And I'd much rather see him given opportunity than Langford.

Last edited:
Worry a bit about Hanrahan. Hasn't improved much since the end of 2017. Needs to show signs or could be gone at the end of the year.
Will need to show more, otherwise unlikely to be on the list in 2020.

Has x-factor and bobs up now and then, but being a small forward is really tough and he has no other strings to his bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright.

Thread: Hawks vs Lions Changes and Preview – May 12, 2018

Abasi: Out: Langford, O'Brien, Whitecross

In: Lovell, O'Rourke, Lewis

I'm open to Schoe/Mirra taking Frawley's spot too.

Clarkson to bring out the tackling bags.

Bluespooner: Why would Lovell come in when he has been average at BHHs.

Abasi: Because Lovell has been playing as a forward/mid, much like Langford, only he has a football brain.

Bluespooner: Normally, you earn your place on the back of form in the VFL and well Lovell doesn't have any. Worpel and Cousins can play forward/mid and have played well in those roles in the ones.

Abasi: Only two games ago.
Kieran Lovell
25 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goals

“It was probably Kieran’s best game for us for the year. He certainly had a better second half than first, but that second was terrific. He took the game on and his agility is elite. He had nine clearances, was really clean and kicked two goals.” CN

Bluespooner: Those 25 disposals consisted of 10 kicks and 15 handballs. I don't reckon you would call that a domineering game from a midfielder in what was a 74 point romp. Also, he was not named in the best on the VFL website, although I note Langford was.

Abasi: You said Lovell doesn't have any form. He does.

And I'd much rather see him given opportunity than Langford.
Wow, it’s hardly like I was demanding he played, I just wanted someone who wasn’t a complete liability to replace Langford, but yeah you got me.

Will need to show more, otherwise unlikely to be on the list in 2020.

Has x-factor and bobs up now and then, but being a small forward is really tough and he has no other strings to his bow.
He is one dimensional and like pretty much our whole list now is allergic to taking overhead marks.

You did.

You wanted me to back it up with something; I have.

And now, strangely you are affronted.
I’m not affronted, more surprised that you’d even remember that to be honest.

Ollie suffers from a low fitness base. He came into the AFL with this issue having not really played footy seriously. His numerous injuries during pre season and in season have made it difficult for him build his tank and by extension effect his work rate. His stints as a HFF reflect his ability to run out games. He might be in serious trouble come the end of the year.

Ollie does look bigger across the chest. But just does not run to create. He does one lead them stops and props. It's bad footy.

Impressed by Lewis. Would have covered a heap of ground yesterday and laid a couple of ripping 'chase' type tackles. Just involved.

Jiath is shaping up to be a ripper. Good composed game yesterday - very solid.

Ollie does look bigger across the chest. But just does not run to create. He does one lead them stops and props. It's bad footy.

Impressed by Lewis. Would have covered a heap of ground yesterday and laid a couple of ripping 'chase' type tackles. Just involved.

Jiath is shaping up to be a ripper. Good composed game yesterday - very solid.
Jiath is really coming along. His issues still are ball security, strength in the tackle and keeping his feet. He has started to address some of his issues

Got to Docklands around 11.40 am yesterday (refuse to call it Marv... - because that's an abbreviation of "marvelous"). And this place is not that. It's basically a characterless sh*thole. It's a dump - a soulless echoing mausoleum - especially with the big tin roof closed - and with all the unfortunates there having to peer at the game through the half light.

As far as I'm concerned, bring the bulldozers in tomorrow. If you want to create a good stadium from scratch, just copy the Perth Optus Stadium. A beautiful structure, designed by an architect who knew what he was doing. Wonderful atmosphere, great vision for spectators and perfectly designed to move crowds all at once.

Even experiencing what should be a joyful experience in escaping the Docklands sh*thole, is a frustration as you either have to walk down a tiny little stair case, designed to take 3 people at once, like you get in a 2 storey office building (perhaps the apprentice architects who designed the building knew there'd rarely be decent crowds there in the first place) - or shuffle down those ridiculous ramps which gives you a 2 km zigzag walk just to leave the dump.

Sorry, I got carried away, I was going to post some comments on the game. To follow.

Last edited:
Anyway, Box Hill is playing great footy - just a continuation of last years's final series, despite a solid change in personnel.

Some selective comments regarding a few of the players yesterday.

Lewis and O'Brien are starting to knock the door down. TOB was terrific - his ability to get where the ball is, and decision making was first class. He has to get another chance soon.
Lewis could have been just as good but he missed some marks he should have cluncked.

Hanrahan is a big no for me. Granted he has the skills but he isn't active enough and should be far more involved in the game. I note 4P's comment above, but Jeeze, he should have built up a reasonable fitness base by now.

Brand must take Frawley's place next week. He's another one who'd reading the ball really well and playing to the structures.

Jiath - I'm one of his biggest fans but I didn't think I'd be saying this. I've thought all along that he's so raw, he needs a full season with Box Hill. But not anymore. He's so bloody quick, he tackles well and racking up quality possessions. He's the very thing our senior side needs - pace and enthusiasm. Give him 4 senior games now - and see how he goes.

Andrew Moore - he does a lot of solid stuff, but in my view, yesterday he showed why he's no longer playing AFL. A number of critical errors and turnovers.

Dylan Moore - I was disappointed with him yesterday. Coming back from a taste of senior footy, I thought he would have grabbed this game by the neck. But I thought he was just in cruising mode, a bit like Ollie.

Luke Meadow - yesterday he demonstrated exactly why we should have drafted him when we had the chance. He's a gun. Tough inside mid, racking up possessions, getting the hard ball. What surprised me yesterday was the fact that he covered as much ground as Scully did in the seniors. I'll be really annoyed if another club takes him in the mid-year draft before us. He showed yesterday that he's a much better prospect than Harry Jones. Nothing against Harry, he was solid, but right now, Meadows would be a much more accomplished senior footballer.

Talking of guns, this kid can play - Nathan Boucher. Quick and gutsy, doesn't fumble, strong tackler, chases down defenders, good goal kicker, and strong mark for his size. Looks to me like a genuine prospect. The way St Kilda walked the ball unopposed out of our forward line yesterday, showed that there are openings for players like Bouchier (if drafted).

Jackson Ross - has also come on very quickly and must be given some senior games this year.
With Roughy in decline (although he played his best game for the year yesterday) Ross looks like a good senior prospect because he's got the speed and marking power we need from a tall (he's 193 cm which just qualifies him as a tall) - and he''s a genuine goal kicker.

Our forward line yesterday (seniors) was lumbering. St Kilda walked the ball out with ease because there was no pressure. Admittedly our team balance was shot because of the injuries but yesterday proved to me that we can't play 2 lumbering ruckmen especially when one is playing the role of marking forward. That's why ideally we need Lewis to come on quickly to stand in for Big Boy. Lewis will provide the speed and versatility on the forward line that Ceglar can't. That's obviously why Lewis was given that role to Pitto yesterday, he did a lot of ruckwork.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back