Toast Nick Robertson

Remove this Banner Ad

This is so overly sensitive, it hasn't even been that bad. Sledging and comments about Witho have bern worse tonight.

This. People are so precious about Robbo because his old man is a contributor on the board. Look, I'm a Robbo fan and he was probably in our best 5 last night. But the likes of Squizzy, Lester, Witho, Keays, Mathieson all cop their fair share of undue criticism and sledging. It;s just what happens, we are passionate footy supporters and our opinions can get the better of us.

Clearly not our worst and probably among our best eight or nine. I’ll say this about Nick Robertson, he doesn’t appear to be up himself and I haven’t seen him going crook at his own team mates. Witherden on the other hand, manages to play dumb football, give away goals and give team mates a spray. He has consumed too much of his own bath water.

Robertson has massive limitations, but trying his guts out isn’t one of them. Prove us doubters wrong Robertson.

Witherden on the other hand, manages to play dumb football, give away goals and give team mates a spray. He has consumed too much of his own bath water.
I’d be dropping both Witherden and his housemate. Both clearly drink their own bath water, don’t have the fitness or willingness to work hard enough and IMO, take their positions for granted.

Nothing wrong in bringing both back down to earth with a stint schlepping around the backwaters day of NEAFL grounds for a month or so.

I did not think Nick played that badly he tried.. Yes he was beaten a few times by magpie forwards although 25 marks in forward 50 was not just about them marking was lack of pressure in the midfield which allowed a lace out pass. Lack of run back from the mids to block holes.
I watched the full game and the difference was how each team went into forward 50.
Our forwards to slow where magpies ran and gave space. 3 talls vs 1 as well

I’d be dropping both Witherden and his housemate. Both clearly drink their own bath water, don’t have the fitness or willingness to work hard enough and IMO, take their positions for granted.

Nothing wrong in bringing both back down to earth with a stint schlepping around the backwaters day of NEAFL grounds for a month or so.
Witherden and Rayner aren't the problem. We got smashed by the competitions best ranked midfield. Adams, Trealor, Sidebottom, Pendlebury and Beams. That's five A grade talented players vs Zorko & Neale. Our midfield is not complete. We seriously need to attract 1 or 2 talented mids during the off season.

Last edited:
It is easy to have 80pc de when all you do is kick it to someone else 15m away so that they now have the (very limited) responsibility of moving the ball upfield. These dinky miniswitches only serve to give the opposition time to man up. He’s not alone in that backline, but I’m not sure that a toast is warranted?

Like this board, the locker doors have carried the names of many players who tried their guts out but didn't have the full toolkit. Can't fault his effort.

We just need to start recruiting players with the professional attitude of Robbo, but with one or two elite attributes.

Actually looked like he wanted to get the ball moving and take the game on tonight. Gives 100% each week doesn't deserve the roast he gets.
The bolded I disagree with.

I mentioned already, he really slowed play down on the flank when he took a mark from a goal square kick in. Each time he had an opportunity to play on and kick to an leading Hipwood or Berry on the wing. Instead he held the ball, looking for other options, allowing Collingwood to re-set defensively. Then launched a high ball to Big O on the wing where we were now outnumbered by Collingwood, we lost the contest, turned the ball over, and Collingwood sent the ball back in to our defensive 50. Really killed possible momentum.

And I've always been a big and vocal NRobbo fan because I love his mongrel and 100% effort.

Last edited:
The bolded I disagree with.

I mentioned already, he really slowed play down on the flank when he took a mark from a goal square kick in. Each time he had an opportunity to play on and kick to an leading Hipwood or Berry on the wing. Instead he held the ball, looking for other options, allowing Collingwood to re-set defensively. Then launched a high ball to Big O on the wing where we were now outnumbered by Collingwood, we lost the contest, turned the ball over, and Collingwood sent the ball back in to our defensive 50. Really killed possible momentum.

And I've always been a big and vocal NRobbo fan because I love his mongrel and 100% effort.

When Robbo can run then he moves the game on quickly which we saw against Collingwood but he obviously doesn't have enough confidence in his kicking to pull the trigger and tends to go for a very safe option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Robbo can run then he moves the game on quickly which we saw against Collingwood but he obviously doesn't have enough confidence in his kicking to pull the trigger and tends to go for a very safe option.

Was a few like him on the night. He is probably terrified of having the clanger count held against him when trying to retain his spot.

One of the few players that can hold his head high after yesterday's performance. McGovern had little to no impact on the game. Well done Nick!
Agreed; one of a few players that I didn’t think lowered his colours yesterday. A really solid game by Nick and good to see.

From the first centre bounce in the third quarter, Lachie gains possession and passes to McStay who marks and goals.

That re-establishes a 4 goal lead and I breathe a little easier.

Carlton win the next centre square and pump it inside 50 . It's a dangerous ball but Nick Robertson takes a saving mark near the goal line. He pinpoints a well weighted 40 metre foot pass to McCluggage on the half back flank.Suitcase looks up field but for some inexplicable reason, decides to send the ball backwards again by foot to Robertson. Right across the face of goals.

That's the moment when Cripps intercepts the pass and slams the goal through.

And that's the point in time that the Blues suddenly grow a leg and thereafter take control of the game.

The decision making and the execution and the lack of awareness of the clear and present danger of Cripps being in the vicinity of the destination of Hugh's back foot pass was a turning point in the game.

I can't help wondering how bad the melts would have been if the roles had been reversed.

That is, if it had been Robertson back passing to McCluggage with that same outcome.

Please note: I love Hugh so I'm not slamming him for that decision but just illustrating a point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back